Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Wheeler, Woolsey, and 1930's cheescake!

Offline metaldams

[youtube=425,350]PNIviOHBTQw[/youtube]

Here you go guys.  The somewhat forgotten comedy team of Wheeler and Woolsey in a delightful scene from their 1934 feature, HIPS, HIPS, HOORAY!  Gotta wonder if this would've survived the code, which only happened a few months after this. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Offline falsealarms

Bert Wheeler in THE AWFUL SLEUTH (1951)...

Great two reeler! I had never seen that one before.

Offline metaldams

I'm just about to watch it, but pausing it at the credits, all i have to say is, "Directed by Richard Quine?"  I wonder if Wheeler got to work with his own director?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Thanks for posting that Brent, it was enjoyable. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I'm just about to watch it, but pausing it at the credits, all i have to say is, "Directed by Richard Quine?"  I wonder if Wheeler got to work with his own director?

Actor Quine was just starting out as a contract director at Columbia.  Most likely this was a "tryout" assignment, before moving him onto features.

Richard Quine in MY SISTER EILEEN (1942)...

Offline healyhouston

Its weired but Wheeler and Woolsey were probably the most popular comedy team of the 1930s.  Remember they made features not shorts.  I searched around on Google News in archives and you can see how popular they were.

The Stooges were making cheap shorts for the poverty row studio and where lost in the shuffle until 1958 when the shorts were turned into a TV series.  Good thing the Stooges didnt make features.  Other shorts turned into TV series, Laurel and Hardy and the Little Rascals.  They tried with the Charley Chase shorts but they didnt go over well with children.

Wheeler and Woolsey were not released to TV in the 1950s mainly because their films were still considered too dirty for children then, so they were forgotten.

Offline metaldams

Its weired but Wheeler and Woolsey were probably the most popular comedy team of the 1930s.  Remember they made features not shorts.  I searched around on Google News in archives and you can see how popular they were.

The Stooges were making cheap shorts for the poverty row studio and where lost in the shuffle until 1958 when the shorts were turned into a TV series.  Good thing the Stooges didnt make features.  Other shorts turned into TV series, Laurel and Hardy and the Little Rascals.  They tried with the Charley Chase shorts but they didnt go over well with children.

Wheeler and Woolsey were not released to TV in the 1950s mainly because their films were still considered too dirty for children then, so they were forgotten.

Per code Hollywood is fascinating because you'll see stuff, while PG by today's standards, you could not get away with in Hollywood for another thirty years.

It's true Wheeler and Woolsey could be a tad racy for kids, but another reason why I don't think they aged as well is because they were so music oriented in a pre rock n roll era setting.  Other comedians had old fashioned music around them, but Bert Wheeler himself was the old fasioned music.

I do enjoy Wheeler and Woolsey at times, as they are an entertaining time piece.
- Doug Sarnecky