Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Petition WB to release Shemp solos - 4/11 update

Offline falsealarms

I sent a Tweet to the Warner Archive suggesting they release a Shemp Howard collection (Vitaphones) and I was directed to their Facebook page. "[The] best way to request movies is on our Facebook page," I was told via Twitter. So I requested such a collection on their Facebook page and it can't hurt if others "like" or comment on it as well.

Go here

Make it known you want these Shemp gems to be released! If you like Shemp, show it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 01:41:23 AM by falsealarms »

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, I just left my message requesting Shemp's solos. [cool]

And speaking of solo Shemp, who do I have to contact to request Shemp's Columbia pictures. ???
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline falsealarms

If they get the idea people will buy it, then they might release it. Power in numbers.

Offline falsealarms

For what it's worth, the Warner Archive responded on Facebook:

"DON'T DISMAY....SHEMP IS ON THE WAY....AND SO ARE MOE, LARRY & CURLY....! We've had a collection of Shemp's WB shorts in the works for a long time....It's one of SEVERAL upcoming projects that fans of the great Stooges can look forward to from WAC........!"

But don't take that and rest -- still chime in on Facebook and encourage the release.

Go here and click on "Warner Archive Collection + others"

Offline Paul Allen

Shemp_Diesel,  More than likely we would all need to contact none other than SONY concerning the release of the Columbia shorts of Shemp Howard.

Offline falsealarms

I noticed a few have chimed in on the Warner Archive Facebook. Keep posting there... for duty and humanity!

Feel free to encourage the release of other entries such as TURN BACK THE CLOCK. It has a Stooges cameo but it looks like a fascinating film based on the trailer.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

"DON'T DISMAY....SHEMP IS ON THE WAY....AND SO ARE MOE, LARRY & CURLY....! We've had a collection of Shemp's WB shorts in the works for a long time....It's one of SEVERAL upcoming projects that fans of the great Stooges can look forward to from WAC........!"

The Warner Archive sends out regular emails to registered users, promoting sales and new additions. Today's email highlights/features Ryan's Facebook question, and WA's answer above.

Apparently the Shemp collection is coming, sooner than later.

Offline Final Shemp

• I'm sawin' a saw in half with a saw, see?
  • Applehead
I noticed a few have chimed in on the Warner Archive Facebook. Keep posting there... for duty and humanity!

Feel free to encourage the release of other entries such as TURN BACK THE CLOCK. It has a Stooges cameo but it looks like a fascinating film based on the trailer.

I recently aquired that from a guy that knows a guy (or gal, as the case may be).  It's a pretty good film.  Anybody who watches it solely for the Stooges will be disappointed, because they set up gags instead of executing them.  On it's own merits, its a pretty good It's a Wonderful Life type of film.

My copy is very fuzzy and obviously taped off of television, so if Warner Archive can offer up something better, I'm in.  Same goes for anything Stooge related they've got.  Sounds like they're preparing a release of the Stooges MGM shorts with Ted Healy.  An upgrade from that The Early Years DVD would be most welcome (the copies of Plane Nuts and Roast Beef and Movies on the Dancing Lady DVD are of much better quality).

Offline falsealarms

TURN BACK THE CLOCK looks like a fun film w/ or w/o the Stooges.

NYUK1934

I'm assuming they will at some point. I wish Sony would release his Columbia solo efforts on DVD.

Offline falsealarms

One of those "SEVERAL" upcoming projects might be the 1934 Healy film DEATH ON THE DIAMOND. The WAC replied to me and said it's "in the bullpen" for 2011. While not an official announcement, it does strongly indicate that DEATH ON THE DIAMOND could see a release next year. Considering baseball is a major theme in the film, perhaps they put it out around opening day or next fall during the baseball post-season.

Offline archiezappa

This is awesome to hear about!  Shemp and the other Stooges coming to DVD.  I loved Shemp's Vitaphone shorts.  Those are very funny!

"Turn Back The Clock" is a great movie with a great story.  I really enjoyed it.  The Stooges have such a small part in the movie, but it's interesting to see Larry with a combover.  Just doesn't look right.  They don't do comedy.  They are a vocal group.  I mention this, because they're a jazz combo in "The Captain Hates The Sea," which they made about a year later. 

I still contend that if comedy had not worked out for them, music would have been the way to go.

(and at least one of them has a Beatles haircut...)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Six months later, and still waiting.

On a related note, Warner Archive mentioned earlier today on Facebook...
... you can look forward to our next VITAPHONE SHORTS collection, coming before Xmas.
One of that set's 6 discs... contains nearly 2 hours of early Technicolor Warner wonders, many making their DVD debut.

Possibly, Shemp will have some presence on that collection too.

Offline falsealarms

Six months later, and still waiting.

On a related note, Warner Archive mentioned earlier today on Facebook...
Possibly, Shemp will have some presence on that collection too.

Warner Archive Collection on the status of the Shemp Vitaphones etc: "Work is ongoing....We want to do right by the fans.... Patience will be rewarded......"

Offline falsealarms

The latest from the WAC on the long-awaited Shemp Vitaphones:

"We delayed SHEMP so we could remaster many of his shorts from new 35mm elements. Our current masters are awful, and old. We thought Shemp deserves better, and this is no April Fool joke...and the Arbuckle sextet of Vitaphone frolics (including the ones without Shemp)are being remastered, too!"

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Hey Everyone:

If you want to deal in the Black Market, I know of a gentleman who can cut you every last one Shemp Solo Shorts and Features because he cut them for me.  I have all but one of Shemp's Features and Shorts.

Moron4392

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
The latest from the WAC on the long-awaited Shemp Vitaphones:

"We delayed SHEMP so we could remaster many of his shorts from new 35mm elements. Our current masters are awful, and old. We thought Shemp deserves better, and this is no April Fool joke...and the Arbuckle sextet of Vitaphone frolics (including the ones without Shemp)are being remastered, too!"

That's cool.  I don't mind waiting in order to get remastered shorts, as long as they don't take forever.  Thanks for the update!

Dog Hambone

That's cool.  I don't mind waiting in order to get remastered shorts, as long as they don't take forever.  Thanks for the update!

Ditto for me. I have several sets of old horror movies & an Alfred Hitchcock set that were clearly not remastered. The pictures are often snowy, lines across them appear out of nowhere, & the sound often fades from loud to soft. I therefore prefer to wait, too. 

Offline Final Shemp

• I'm sawin' a saw in half with a saw, see?
  • Applehead
That's great!  Take your time boys!  Make them look their very best!

Offline metaldams

Glad to hear Shemp's going to be getting the deluxe treatment.  I definitely look forward to these and restored Vitaphone Shemps are pretty much the only Stooge related thing I'm absolutely dying to see at this point.

The latter day Arbuckle's should be interesting too.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

There's still a few things I really want to see, but have essentially no means to see it...

Most of the Shemp Vitaphones

Healy's DEATH ON THE DIAMOND

TURN BACK THE CLOCK

Shemp's 3 OF A KIND

Healy's RECKLESS

Healy's THE BAND PLAYS ON

Healy's BOMBSHELL

Moe's last MIKE DOUGLAS appearance

Their 1969 TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES appearance

Offline JazzBill

There's still a few things I really want to see, but have essentially no means to see it...

Most of the Shemp Vitaphones

Healy's DEATH ON THE DIAMOND

TURN BACK THE CLOCK

Shemp's 3 OF A KIND

Healy's RECKLESS

Healy's THE BAND PLAYS ON

Healy's BOMBSHELL

Moe's last MIKE DOUGLAS appearance

Their 1969 TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES appearance

Shemps 3 Of A Kind is out there somewhere, I have it on a 3 dvd set called Shemp, The Lost Stooge Trilogy. The other 2 are Ghost Crazy and Trouble Chasers. I can't remember where I got it though.   
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline JekyllHyde

I saw an episode of TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES with Moe. Three contestants were required to find a celebrity and record them on a tape recorder. One woman contestant lived on the same block as Moe.  Moe sang a little song for her as she recorded it. So only Moe`s voice is heard on that episode. I don`t know if all three of the Stooges appeared on another episode.