Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Three Stooges Collection Vol. 8, June 1

BeAStooge · 548 · 114562

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Collection Vol 8 DVD: June 01, 2010 - June 07, 2010

Offline Stooges#1

Yeah.  54 years ago he helped them out by fulfilling their contract with Columbia.  Who knew that all these years later his picture would be on a major DVD release.  Probably the biggest acknowledgement of his contributions, ever!

Exactly right, archiezappa.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

A little curiosity in that all of the pictures off to the right side of the box are from 1949-51. Surely there were publicity pics from '55 to 59 that could've been used. Just a minor quibble, though, nothing that will prevent me from buying this. My ears can almost hear the sweet sounds of Muriel Landers (sic).

[pie]
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Btw, I think I would've preferred that Shemp got the large picture on the box & Joe in a smaller bubble, but whatever.   ::)   

June 1st, so close, yet so far, far away.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Allen

I've never seen that photo of Joe,Moe,Larry. To be honest, I'm not too crazy about it.
In my humble opinion, I think they could've chosen a photo a little bit closer-up with all three looking more in the direction of the camera.

I AIN'T COMPLAINING, THOUGH.  IT'S THE CONTENTS THAT COUNT!  

I'm really hoping they go with the full-screen format on these instead of matted wide-screen. SONY didn't ask for my opinions, so I'll have to take what they give us (and be happy with it).

[pie] Paul Allen

Offline dimelives

Heyyy, I was right...

I have a feeling it will either be brown, yellow, or another shade of green.

:)

Nice cover. I'm surprised they have Besser as the main feature on the cover, but I like that they did. After all, he was more active in these last years than Shemp (sadly). But yeah, doesn't seem that Joe is featured in ANY of the pictures on the side. Hmmm.

Has anyone ever ordered through Classic Flix? Their shipping quick?

I'm really hoping they go with the full-screen format on these instead of matted wide-screen.

Don't bet on it. They'll surely be shown in widescreen like the last Shemp ones, as they were shown in theaters.

Offline archiezappa

Yeah, these are supposed to be their original theatrical presentation.

Offline Paul Allen

Shemp_Diesel,  I also noticed that none of the little photos to the right had Joe in them.  They look like still-frame photos from shorts (not publicity pics like you mentioned).  The main cover photo and the circle photo of Shemp look like publicity photos for sure.
I wonder if it's too late for SONY to reconsider this box cover?  Yeah, probably is too late.... oh, I have to remind myself.... it's the contents that really matter.

What does everyone else prefer for Volume 8? Full-screen or matted wide-screen??  I personally don't have a problem at all with wide-screen if it is true wide-screen (not matted)!

Thanks - Paul Allen

Offline archiezappa

Offline dimelives

I personally don't have a problem at all with wide-screen if it is true wide-screen (not matted)!

As I understand it, that's simply how ALL the Stooge shorts were done. And it's not even noticeable when you get past the few flubs with "Goofs on the Roof" and such, when they were purposely framing shots with too much head and foot room intended for matting. It would look odd WITHOUT the matting, I say.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
A little curiosity in that all of the pictures off to the right side of the box are from 1949-51. Surely there were publicity pics from '55 to 59 that could've been used. Just a minor quibble, though, nothing that will prevent me from buying this.

This is preliminary cover art taken from a solicitation flyer Sony sent to distributors 2 weeks ago. It will soon be changed to reflect 1955 - 1959 images in the box margin montage.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I'm really hoping they go with the full-screen format on these instead of matted wide-screen.

The 32 films will be in their original, theatrical 1.85 widescreen format.

xraffle

This is preliminary cover art taken from a solicitation flyer Sony sent to distributors 2 weeks ago. It will be changed to reflect the correct 1955 - 1959 images in the box margins.

Whoa!! They actually put Joe on the cover. Nice! I'm glad Joe gets a chance to be on the front cover of these.

xraffle

In case anyone is wondering, these are the last 32 shorts:

1.   Fling In The Ring (1955)
2.   Of Cash And Hash (1955)
3.   Gypped In The Penthouse (1955)
4.   Bedlam In Paradise (1955)
5.   Stone Age Romeos (1955)
6.   Wham-Bam-Slam (1955)
7.   Hot Ice (1955)
8.   Blunder Boys (1955)
9.   Husbands Beware (1956)
10.   Creeps (1956)
11.   Flagpole Jitters (1956)
12.   For Crimin' Out Loud (1956)
13.   Rumpus In The Harem (1956)
14.   Hot Stuff (1956)
15.   Scheming Schemers (1956)
16.   Commotion On The Ocean (1956)
17.   Hoofs And goofs (1957)
18.   Muscle Up A Little Closer (1957)
19.   A Merry Mix-Up (1957)
20.   Space Ship Sappy (1957)
21.   Guns A Poppin! (1957)
22.   Horsing Around (1957)
23.   Rusty Romeos (1957)
24.   Outer Space Jitters (1957)
25.   Quiz Whizz (1958)
26.   Fifi Blows Her Top (1958)
27.   Pies And Guys (1958)
28.   Sweet And Hot (1958)
29.   Flying Saucer Daffy (1958)
30.   Oil's Well That Ends Well (1958)
31.   Triple Crossed (1959)
32.   Sappy Bullfighters (1959)

So, do I have to note which shorts are new to DVD? ;)

Offline Paul Allen

BeAStooge,  Is "1.85" true widescreen (with the entire film frame being shown on screen)?

Or will they look somewhat like GOOF ON THE ROOF with some of the top and bottom missing?

dimelives,  DeepDiscount.com is a decent place to order from when they run their annual June Sale. 
Amazon.com usually ships pretty quickly and offers free shipping with a $25 or more order.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
BeAStooge,  Is "1.85" true widescreen (with the entire film frame being shown on screen)?
Or will they look somewhat like GOOF ON THE ROOF with some of the top and bottom missing?

Please refer to the response to these questions, posted earlier in this thread, last week.

Offline dimelives

In case anyone is wondering, these are the last 32 shorts:

1.   Fling In The Ring (1955)
2.   Of Cash And Hash (1955)
3.   Gypped In The Penthouse (1955)
4.   Bedlam In Paradise (1955)
5.   Stone Age Romeos (1955)
6.   Wham-Bam-Slam (1955)
7.   Hot Ice (1955)
8.   Blunder Boys (1955)
9.   Husbands Beware (1956)
10.   Creeps (1956)
11.   Flagpole Jitters (1956)
12.   For Crimin' Out Loud (1956)
13.   Rumpus In The Harem (1956)
14.   Hot Stuff (1956)
15.   Scheming Schemers (1956)
16.   Commotion On The Ocean (1956)
17.   Hoofs And goofs (1957)
18.   Muscle Up A Little Closer (1957)
19.   A Merry Mix-Up (1957)
20.   Space Ship Sappy (1957)
21.   Guns A Poppin! (1957)
22.   Horsing Around (1957)
23.   Rusty Romeos (1957)
24.   Outer Space Jitters (1957)
25.   Quiz Whizz (1958)
26.   Fifi Blows Her Top (1958)
27.   Pies And Guys (1958)
28.   Sweet And Hot (1958)
29.   Flying Saucer Daffy (1958)
30.   Oil's Well That Ends Well (1958)
31.   Triple Crossed (1959)
32.   Sappy Bullfighters (1959)

So, do I have to note which shorts are new to DVD? ;)

Thanks for that, xraffle! But aaaaaactually.... since you ask lol. I'd be curious to know which are new to DVD. Unless the joke is that they ALL are lol...

Offline metaldams

Thanks for that, xraffle! But aaaaaactually.... since you ask lol. I'd be curious to know which are new to DVD. Unless the joke is that they ALL are lol...

He put an asterix on the ones previously released.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

I don't see no asterisk. I think he's referring to Joe Besser, which i don't think was ever on DVD.  Which would be #17-#32.

Offline Paul Allen

BeAStooge,  I went back and read what you mentioned last week about the 1.85 ratio. I do apologize because I had already read it last week and forgot all about it! Dang, I guess the excitement of Volume 8 is causing me to lose my mind!! 
Based on what you explained last week (and I trust that you know what you're talking about), the shorts on Volume 8 should look great (for the most part).

Thank you, Paul Allen

Offline dimelives

Upon thinking about it some more, I REALLY hope they put two of the three discs in one slim case (I know they make double-disc slim cases for sure) to keep Volume 8 down to two slim cases. I'm just really picky about DVD series conformity, and I know it'd bug me if all the volumes were all the same width in the shelf except for the very last one =P

So I really hope they keep the box width the exact same by having two of the discs in one slim case, and the other disc in one, like normal. *hope, hope, hope*

;D

Offline metaldams

I don't see no asterisk.

The post should've ended there.   :laugh:

To Dimelives:

For getting the "riddle" correct, here's who'll present your grand prize......

- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

I don't see no asterisk. I think he's referring to Joe Besser, which i don't think was ever on DVD.  Which would be #17-#32.

Wow! People don't get the joke. Guys, all 32 shorts are new to DVD! So, yes Metaldams has answered the question. The ones previously released have asterisks. You don't see any asterisks, so that means none of the shorts were previously released. ;)

Offline Curly4444

No, I've just never seen or heard of Joe Besser on DVD. Im surprised those other Shemps weren't on DVD before.

Offline metaldams

No, I've just never seen or heard of Joe Besser on DVD. Im surprised those other Shemps weren't on DVD before.

The majority of the late Shemps are remakes, though a few did show up on VHS about 20 years ago.

Besser's never been released on any format to my knowledge.
- Doug Sarnecky