The Three Stooges Collection Vol. 8, June 1

BeAStooge · 548 · 113939

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Collection Vol 8 DVD: June 01, 2010 - June 07, 2010

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Cover art images courtesy of DVDEmpire...

From Sony Pictures Home Entertainment...
Moe, Larry, Shemp AND Joe are back one more time in…

THE THREE STOOGES COLLECTION
Volume Eight: 1955 - 1959

32 Digitally Remastered Shorts, Arranged Chronologically and Packaged in a Three-Disc DVD Set

EIGHTH VOLUME AVAILABLE ON DVD June 1st

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (March 29, 2010) – One of the funniest movie comedy trios in history is back again when Sony Pictures Home Entertainment brings "The Three Stooges: Volume Eight" to DVD on June 1st. This eighth volume showcases the talents of the wacky slap-stick troupe, contains 32 digitally remastered shorts from 1955-1959 and includes both Shemp Howard and Joe Besser. (Besser, a long-time friend of Howard, replaced him after Howard’s death in 1955.) "The Three Stooges: Volume Eight 1955-1959," now digitally remastered and looking better than ever, is packaged in a three-disc set and will be available, just in time for Father's Day, for $24.96 SLP.

The Three Stooges left an indelible mark on 20th century screen comedy and inspired generations that succeeded them. Following their start in vaudeville, the trio began a film career in the early 1930s, reached their slapstick peak at Columbia Pictures (1934-1957) and lasted as a team well into the 1950s. After their initial retirement, they were rediscovered by an enthusiastic new generation through the medium of television, surpassing their contemporaries in lasting popularity. Volume Eight continues Sony Pictures Home Entertainment's long-running tribute to the comedic mastery of the Stooges by tracing the evolution and development of their craft in films in progressive order.

The Three Stooges Collection Volume Eight: 1955 – 1959

Disc 1

Bedlam in Paradise
Blunder Boys
Creeps
Flagpole Jitters
Gypped in the Penthouse
Hot Ice
Husbands Beware
Of Cash and Hash
Stone Age Romeos
Fling in the Ring
Wham-Bam-Slam!

Disc 2

Commotion on the Ocean
For Crimin' Out Loud
Guns A Poppin!
Hoofs and Goofs
Horsing Around
Hot Stuff
A Merry Mix-Up
Muscle Up a Little Closer
Rumpus in the Harem
Scheming Schemers
Space Ship Sappy

Disc 3

Outer Space Jitters
Rusty Romeos
Quiz Whizz
Fifi Blows Her Top
Pies and Guys
Sweet and Hot
Flying Saucer Daffy
Oil's Well That Ends Well
Triple Crossed
Sappy Bullfighters

DVD Features Include:
·  Widescreen Presentations
·  Audio: English (Mono)

________________________________________________________________________________________

Amazon began taking pre-orders for The Three Stooges Collection Vol. 8 1955 - 1959 today (March 21).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 10:46:00 AM by BeAStooge »

chad2411

VideoETA today listed a new Three Stooges Collection from Sony for June 1, 2010.  VideoETA's post does not specify, but I would assume that this is Volume 8.

This is preliminary information, and should not be taken as fact until there is some type of confirmation/press release from Sony.

At this time, I would not pay attention to the running time listed on ETA's page... most likely a mispost/typo; initial ETA posts in the past have made similar errors. 2 discs may also be suspect, until we know how many years will be covered in this volume.

Stay tuned.

Retail $24.96, and 176 minutes.  Sounds right to me.    Cool Woohoo!

Offline metaldams

Slow news day, I guess.   [pie]

No, just kidding.  This is great.  I hope this preliminary news comes to pass.  It'll be nice to finally have all 190 in good condition.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

That would qualify as great news. Very interested to see what they do as far as years.

Offline Waldo Twitchell

It's always interesting to see latter-day Stooges shorts to be officially released on DVD in restored condition. I look forward to pristine copies of 'Gypped n the Penthouse' and Blunder Boys'. I would really like to see restored prints of 'Home on the Rage' and 'Not Guilty Enough'. Shemp and
Andy Clyde made a great team. Check out 'Money Squawks' or 'Boobs in the Woods'.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I wonder if the new set will be all widescreen, (and hopefully properly framed). We don't need another Goof on the Roof situation.

[confused5]

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

I wonder if the new set will be all widescreen, (and hopefully properly framed). We don't need another Goof on the Roof situation.

[confused5]

I'd imagine they'd continue going widescreen, and in 1955 Hollywood kind of had the widescreen thing mastered, so I'm HOPING there'll be no problems.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

Slow news day, I guess.   [pie]

No, just kidding.  This is great.  I hope this preliminary news comes to pass.  It'll be nice to finally have all 190 in good condition.

Yeah! Who'da thunk it 5 years ago!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Final Shemp

• I'm sawin' a saw in half with a saw, see?
  • Applehead
A infos a little sparse, but after waiting so long any news is good news.

I look forward to hearing more.

Offline Porcupine73

VideoETA today listed a new Three Stooges Collection from Sony for June 1, 2010.  VideoETA's post does not specify, but I would assume that this is Volume 8.

This is preliminary information, and should not be taken as fact until there is some type of confirmation/press release from Sony.

At this time, I would not pay attention to the running time listed on ETA's page... most likely a mispost/typo; initial ETA posts in the past have made similar errors. 2 discs may also be suspect, until we know how many years will be covered in this volume.

I would have to agree that this is a misprint of some kind. 176 minutes would only be 11 shorts, and they wouldn't need 2 discs for that, or charge the same price as previous volumes with twice as many.

We'll find out real soon!  It would be awesome if the series is finally complete on June 1!  Bring on Fake Shemp and Joe!

Offline archiezappa

Awesome!  I can't wait to have all of the Three Stooges short subjects!

Offline dimelives

ETA is often right about these dates, so here's to hoping!

I think Volume 8's pre-release discussion on these boards has been by far the largest discussion of any of the volumes to date that I can recall... Lots of interest in this, the potentially FINAL volume in the magnificent set!

June 1st sounds like it could be right, and good! Can't wait :)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Yes, that has to be a misprint.  There are 32 shorts remaining (16 Shemp, 16 Besser), with a total running time of 516 minutes, pretty evenly split between the two groups.  (It's easy to calculate when you have access to the database.)   ;)

I'm not up on the technology - would those fit on two DVDs, or will they have to go to three?  Either way, I'm anxious to get them and complete the set.   ;D

Offline metaldams

I remember in the old days having to copy VHS tapes of shorts for other posters and others doing the same for me!  Man, hooking up those two VCRs was a pain in the pa-tootie.  Glad those days are over since these things are out on DVD and DVR's have made life much easier.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

Yeah.  We would never have had to copy stuff if we had the goods to begin with.  I'm glad that, after all this time, the real thing is here (almost).

xraffle

Yes, that has to be a misprint.  There are 32 shorts remaining (16 Shemp, 16 Besser), with a total running time of 516 minutes, pretty evenly split between the two groups.  (It's easy to calculate when you have access to the database.)   ;)

I'm not up on the technology - would those fit on two DVDs, or will they have to go to three?  Either way, I'm anxious to get them and complete the set.   ;D

Ah, my expertise! Let me give my lecture.

A DVD can be single-layer or dual layer. Single layer has one layer of data and holds about 4.35 GB of data. Now, I know all the sources say 4.7 GB, but whenever I burn DVDs, I'm only limited to 4.35 GB. Maybe manufactured DVDs (which are pressed, not burned) are little better and can hold 4.7 GB. I honestly don't know.

Now, Dual-layer has two layers of data and holds about 8.7 GB of data.

So, how much video can you fit on a DVD? Well, if you want good quality video, it's best to not exceed 2 hours per layer. Sony has been using dual-layered discs on these chronological sets; they've used single layer on the old themed discs, hence the 5-6 shorts per DVD. So, you can fit about 4 hours of video on a dual-layered discs. That's about 12 shorts. You'll go a little over 4 hours if you add a 13th short. So, Sony kind of cheated on a few of the chronological sets, since a few had 13 shorts on a disc. BUT, thankfully, the added compression didn't really show, so they probably did a good job encoding the videos.

So, assuming Volume 8 will have 32 shorts, you'll have to cram 16 shorts on each DVD if they still want this set to be two discs. Not good! That will be a lot of compression and will look quite ugly. So, I think Sony should make this set into three discs. Two on slim case# 1 and the other on slim case# 2. That way, the quality is good and the size of the set is the same as the previous 7.

Offline luke795

xraffle

Glad you brought that up. Universal has released some double sided dual-layered discs. The old Abbott & Costello DVDs had them and many people have reported freezing issues with them. So, that kind of DVD seems to be problematic, but I have the old Abbott & Costello DVDs and they all work fine. I guess I got lucky.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It may be too early to speculate, but perhaps they are omitting the Besser shorts.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Glad you brought that up. Universal has released some double sided dual-layered discs. The old Abbott & Costello DVDs had them and many people have reported freezing issues with them. So, that kind of DVD seems to be problematic, but I have the old Abbott & Costello DVDs and they all work fine. I guess I got lucky.

I have some issues with a couple of the Universal Horror Double Sided DVD's, including "The Black Cat" off THE BELA LUGOSI COLLECTION, which is one of my favorite movies of all-time.

So far, so good with Bud and Lou.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Stooges#1

Well the news is spreading;

http://www.classicflix.com/three-stooges-collection-june-a-691.html

Thanks for the link. If that is right, they're listing the remaining 32 shorts on 2 discs which cant be good for compression.

Maybe at this stage Sony don't care about the quality of the remaining Shemp/Joe shorts.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.