Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

International Stooge fans - are there any out there?

Offline metaldams

An answer from Gary about Stooge club membership would be interesting on this subject, but I'd also like to know in general, are the Three Stooges an American thing?  I ask this for a few reasons. 

1.) Posting on these boards so many years, everybody except Sweet Canadian Girl seems to be American

2.) The Three Stooges are not darlings amongst academics, and let's be honest, film snobbery is based on European tastes.  I don't get the feeling The Three Stooges have a strong European fan base.

3.) It states specifically on wikipedia The Three Stooges have more of an American following while The Marx Brothers and Laurel and Hardy have a stronger international following.  It's on wikipedia folks, I rest my case!  They're never wrong!   [pie]

4.) To my knowledge, their films are not as readily available in Europe as they are other countries.

So, any thoughts or opinions on this?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Stooges#1

I am from Australia and have loved the Stooges for over 15 years. I was born here, and have never visited America so my first time watching the Stooges on TV was in Australia.

Offline metaldams

I am from Australia and have loved the Stooges for over 15 years. I was born here, and have never visited America so my first time watching the Stooges on TV was in Australia.

Oh, that's right!  I forgot you're from Australia. 

Are the boys widely known where you are?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Stooges#1

Oh, that's right!  I forgot you're from Australia. 

Are the boys widely known where you are?

Sadly no, I wouldn't say so. A lot of my friends know of the Stooges, but have never watched them.

We get a lot of compilation DVD's but nothing too special. We don't have fan clubs, nothing (as far as I have seen). Its a real shame actually. I would say the Stooges are as popular here as any other country apart from the US, less than say Canada. The boys have their fans here, but they're few and far between.

I am proud to say both my Parents, Brother and Sister love the Stooges and me, of course. So that's something.

Offline Seamus

Interesting topic.  I guess I'd expect Australia to be the country with the most love for the Stooges outside the US.  Not sure why.  Maybe because the Aussies seem to share our general lack of pretension.  And I bet they like their comedy a little rough.  I can easily picture a few sunburned Australians knocking back Fosters and having a hearty laugh over some violent slapstick.

I frequent (infrequently) a British message board devoted to cult TV.  They've got a section devoted to classic comedy, but the Stooges never get discussed.  Plenty of love for L&H, but no Stooges.  Been thinking about starting a Stooges topic over there to see what the consensus is among British geeks.

Offline metaldams

I frequent (infrequently) a British message board devoted to cult TV.  They've got a section devoted to classic comedy, but the Stooges never get discussed.  Plenty of love for L&H, but no Stooges.  Been thinking about starting a Stooges topic over there to see what the consensus is among British geeks.

If you start that thread, please link us to it.  I'd be REALLY interested in seeing what that looks like.
- Doug Sarnecky