Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Concerts you've been to.

metaldams · 90 · 28168

Offline metaldams

I was here.  7/16/99 Hammerstein Ballroom, New York City, Iron Maiden

[youtube=425,350]majMl1RPY3Y[/youtube]

"Hallowed Be Thy Name" (studio version is arguably my favorite song of all-time, by anybody)
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

oooo...Maiden! I never got the chance to see them and always wanted to.  AC-DC and Motley Crue are other metal favs of mine that I didn't get to see, either. 

I have seen so many concerts that I cannot name them all!  KISS was fantastic in person, and of course, The Who are a completely different band live.  Another of my best concerts, the TOTAL experience of the thing, was seeing Parliament! They threw joints into the audience!

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams

oooo...Maiden! I never got the chance to see them and always wanted to.  AC-DC and Motley Crue are other metal favs of mine that I didn't get to see, either. 

I have seen so many concerts that I cannot name them all!  KISS was fantastic in person, and of course, The Who are a completely different band live.  Another of my best concerts, the TOTAL experience of the thing, was seeing Parliament! They threw joints into the audience!

If anybody else has shows they've been to, please post them.

I saw KISS on 10/9/96 in Philly.  They were excellent!  They played three nights on Philly that tour, and the other two nights have footage on youtube, but not the day I was there!

I'm not the biggest Motley fan, but I did see them in concert with an ex back in 2000.  Tommy Lee wasn't drumming, it was Samantha Maloney from Hole filling in.  Ironically, I saw Tommy Lee's generic nu metal act (can't remember their name) at an Ozzfest.

Never saw AC/DC, and as for The Who, LIVE AT LEEDS is the greatest live album ever.  My Mom was pregnant with me when Keith Moon died, but I have plenty of DVD footage.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I never went to a rock concert before I returned to Michigan back in 1988.  Between 1988 and 1994 I went to probably at least a two or three dozen concerts, starting with the Moody Blues in '88. 

I saw KISS in 1989 (?) when my brother and I went to Spokane, Washington, to visit our parents; the first thing my mother said to us when we got off the plane was, "KISS is going to be in town this week.  You boys want to go with me?"  (My father would never have gone, as he doesn't think it's "music" unless Glen Miller or one of the Dorsey brothers played it.)  Mom was easily one of the oldest people there, and there was a young girl sitting behind us that thought it was so cool that she liked KISS.

I saw quite a few concerts in those few years.  Off the top of my head I remember Deep Purple, AC/DC, Neil Young, and Jimmy Buffet (someone gave me free tickets.)  There were a lot more, but I'll have to ask my brother to refresh my memory when he comes over today.

The last concert I went to was Pink Floyd (in '94, IIRC).  My brother and I went with several friends, and we all rented a limo so we could get seriously stoned and drunk without worrying about who was going to drive.  BEST CONCERT EVER!  I didn't realize at the time that it was the last one we'd go to, but I can't think of a better one to wrap up with.  [cool]

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Only went to ONE concert in my life ... 1976, 4th of July Liberty Bowl concert of ZZTop

This concert began at noon and ZZ performed after dark (about 9 pm) so there were many bands playing beforehand.
One was a little known group called Blue Oyster Cult. Their show would have been better, but it was like 2 in the afternoon and all their pyrotechnics fizzled from the daylight. I think they had a tune or two that made the charts (nyuk-nyuk).

It was a wonderful eyeful watching all the weird-ohs on the field. They had paper cup stacking contests, they threw trash cans at each other, etc etc. There was even a black dude who had his huge afro accidentally set on fire from an aberrant roman candle from the grandstands.

Ah, the good ole days ...
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline metaldams

I found a little bit more footage of a particular concert I've been to on youtube and will post it tonight.

My very FIRST concert was Metallica/Danzig/Suicidal Tendencies in the Summer of '94, Philadelphia, Mann Music Center on the (clears throat) "Shit in the Sheds" tour.  I was 15, and I did not pace myself and was too drained to enjoy the entire show the way I should've.  Lesson well learned for future concerts.

Since I was 15, my parents had to drive me and my friends and waited outside of the concert, hearing the whole thing.  James Hetfield, especially back then, swore like a sailor in concert and my parents were none too impressed.  They closed with the Anti-Nowhere League cover, "So What," which has lyrics that will make Howard Stern blush.  Again, my parents were none too impressed.  People were smoking pot at this show like they do at any other show, and my very conservative father, on the way home, goes, "I smell that shit in the air, I know it!"  I also saw my first real life titty that day.  Some girl a few seats away from me decides to bear them while some guy decides he'd rather have milk than beer.  Security throws them both out.  At 15, I thought this was the coolest thing ever.  Looking back, I realize how stupid those two were to be doing that in public and in front of minors, but back then, me and my friends were acting like a wolf in a Tex Avery cartoon.

Funny aftermath to the whole pot thing.  About 10 years later, I took my Dad to see Eric Clapton as a father's day gift.  Again, the smell of pot was in the air.  This time, my Dad gets all nostalgic, and forgetting about that night in 1994, goes, "I haven't smelled that in 30 years!" 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Saw Muddy Waters in the early 70s. ( I don't remember where )   [drunk]
Saw Jethro Tull in Germany in the mid 70s.
Saw The Who in Chicago in the late 70s
Saw Kool And The Gang and Alabama  [sick] in Chicago in the mid 80s. ( I was dating my future wife )
Saw Genesis in Chicago in the mid 90s.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Saw Jethro Tull in Germany in the mid 70s.

I am jealous of that one.  My top favorite groups have always been Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and Moody Blues, and Tull is the only one that I've never seen live.

I looked up KISS tour dates on Wikipedia and realized that it must have been 1990 when I saw them, during their "Hot in the Shade" tour.

Offline Seamus

I've seen King Crimson pretty much every time they've come to Ohio since the mid-90s.  One of the best bands.  Also seen a few of the individual players in that band in solo shows, Adrian Belew in particular.  Saw him with his power trio multiple times the past three years or so...awesome player.

I've also been a Todd Rundgren fan since the early '00s, so I've seen him a crazy number of times.

Back in '04, my wife and I followed the band Marillion around for a week while they were here for a rare US tour.  That was not long after I got her hooked on the band.  She says it was one of the best times of her life.

Saw the legendary Crowded House back in the '90s a handful of times.

Lots of others, but those are the ones that come to mind first.

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Interesting topic. Here are some of the bigger names that come to mind:

Santana-12/79 Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA. My first concert at 8 years of age. My father took me and my grandmother to see this show! He later commented that I was probably the youngest person there and my grandmother the oldest. I remember smelling pot in the air during their set but didn't ask what it was.

Iron Maiden-1985 Powerslave Tour Alladin Theatre, Las Vegas, Nevada. Warrior was the opening act.

Accept, Helix, and Keel - Summer 1985 Fox theatre, Atlanta, GA.

AC/DC - 1988 Blow Up Your Video Tour, Thomas and Mack Ctr. Las Vegas, NV. White Lion was the opening act (ugh!)

Chumbawamba - 1990 some antique loft in Las Vegas. This was long before their hit 'Tubthumper'.

Morbid Angel, Carcass, Napalm Death, Cathedral, etc... 1992 Huntridge Theater, Las Vegas, Nevada

Yanni - 1994 Las Vegas. Somewhere on the strip (free ticket)

The Del Vikings - 1993? Showboat, Las Vegas, Nevada

Manowar - 2002, Portland, Oregon.  Immortal was the opening act.

Steely Dan - 2006, Las Vegas, Nevada

Last concert attended: Hatebreed/Cannibal Corpse December 2009, Roseland Theater, Portland, Oregon.

Here a few defunct bands or individuals that I wished I could have seen (far from complete list): Robert Johnson, The Doors, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Cash, The Ramones, Beethoven, Wagner, 16 Horsepower, etc...)

Offline metaldams

[youtube=425,350]oz439Tnu4R0[/youtube]

Metallica July 12, 2003 Philadelphia, Veterans Stadium

Fast Forward to about 5:53 or so to get to the power and majesty of "Master of Puppets"  I was standing in the outfield watching this.  Veterans Stadium was taken down shortly after this.

[youtube=425,350]FoIKKMCncGM[/youtube]

Who was the opening act that day?  Limp Bizkit.  The worst concert experience I ever had, and here's 48 torturous seconds of it. 

Again, I was at this very show.  Surely somebody else can find a concert they attended on youtube.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Rob, I've got a book that documents every KISS show, so looking up your show.....

9/8/1990

Sold Out Attendance of 7,690

Spokane, Washington

Spokane Coliseum

Opening acts are (wait for it 80's hair junkies).....Winger and Slaughter!

The show has not been archived in video or audio form.

I saw Jethro Tull with Emerson, Lake and Palmer sometime in the mid 90's while in high school.  My biggest regret is that I was not a fan at the time, because these days I am.  I went because my brother's girlfriend's Mom got free tickets.  I did enjoy the show and thought Ian Anderson was an incredibly entertaining performer, but I wish I knew their songs back then the way I do today.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Iron Maiden-1985 Powerslave Tour Alladin Theatre, Las Vegas, Nevada. Warrior was the opening act.

Seriously, the World Slavery Tour?  You were there?  I'm officially jealous.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline hiramhorwitz

Most of the concerts I attended were in the 70s -- when the ticket prices ranged from two to six dollars.  Here goes:  Stan Kenton, Don Ellis, Maynard Ferguson, Dizzy Gillespie, Jim Croce (when he was Woody Allen's warm up act), Elton John (in the days when he was bald), Bruce Springsteen, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones, Billy Joel (when he was skinny and adorned an afro), J. Geils Band, Roger McGuinn, Hot Tuna (the most excruciatingly long single band performance -- 6 hours), Andy Pratt (my favorite of the bunch), Wings, Nils Lofgren (pre-Springsteen days), Renaissance, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Poco, Steve Goodman, Jimmy Buffet, Robert Palmer, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, Johnny's Dance Band, Aztec Two Step (the one act I'd want to see again today), Livingston Taylor, Eartha Kitt, Chris Smithers, Bryan Bower, David Sancious (post-Springsteen), George Duke, Tom Waits, Al Stewart, and Robert Hazard (the last concert I saw on the east coast).

Fast forward about 25 or 30 years.  Last summer, I took each of my two sons to see their favorite bands -- Green Day and Megadeth.  This time I wore earplugs.  Needless to say, the ticket prices are now a bit higher than $6.   

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Yeah, the World Slavery Tour! They were at the top of their game. I remember them doing 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner' from that album. Do they still do that live? It's a long one.

Off the subject, I recall seeing Sarah McLachlan back in '93 at the Huntridge Theater in Las Vegas. A friend of ours got us tickets and we begrudgingly went. He insisted she would be the next big thing and he was right. I never really became a fan, though.

Offline Smaug

In no particular order....

Yes, Rush, ZZ Top, Savoy Brown (with Kiss as the opening act at the Wyandotte Yak Center-a skating rink!), Rare Earth, Moody Blues, Three, Natural Gas (honest- they opened for Yes at Cobo Arena in '76), Nazareth, Sammy Hagar Band, Van Halen (Roth), Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Nickeback, Black Sabbath (Oz), Black Oak Arkansas, The Outlaws, Blue Oyster Cult, Bad Company, Foghat, Kansas, Styx, Journey, Uriah Heep, and a few more that have gone afk in my brain. Plus Pantera played about a dozen times in a bar I used to manage. Diamond Darrell Abbott was the guitarist, not yet Dimebag.....

Offline FineBari3

Fantastic list, and quite eclectic!

Fast forward about 25 or 30 years.  Last summer, I took each of my two sons to see their favorite bands -- Green Day and Megadeth.  This time I wore earplugs.  Needless to say, the ticket prices are now a bit higher than $6.   

That IS funny!!!!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams

Savoy Brown (with Kiss as the opening act at the Wyandotte Yak Center-a skating rink

This was May 12, 1974, and I can't believe you don't remember the legendary Silverhead was also on the bill!   ;D  You were one of the 2,400 in attendance, my friend. 

Anybody have a KISS show they want me to look up?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Yeah, the World Slavery Tour! They were at the top of their game. I remember them doing 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner' from that album. Do they still do that live? It's a long one.

They did it live on their last tour, but it was the first time in years.  I think every Maiden fan loves that song, it always gets mentioned, but due to length and perhaps difficulty (?), rarely gets played.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The only concert I've ever been to was Simon & Garfunkel with my then girlfriend back in 03 or 04 in DC.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline hiramhorwitz

Fantastic list, and quite eclectic!
Mar-Jean, I figured you'd be familiar with some of the lesser known artists on my list.  Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

Offline garystooge

Can't remember everyone I saw (because it was a long time ago, not because of substance abuse) but I'll do my best.  Just about all the concerts I saw were in the 1970-78 era, mostly in Philly.  The most expensive seats were indeed only $6.00 back then and just about every show featured 2 or 3 acts so it was easy to see lots of artists. Those I recall are the Stones, Who, Jefferson Airplane, Jethro Tull, Kinks, Procol Harum, Hot Tuna, Grateful Dead, Alice Cooper, Edgar Winter (with "White Trash" and "The Edgar Winter Group"), Spirit, Jo Jo Gunne, T. Rex, Capt. Beefheart, Tony Joe White, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Beach Boys, Peter Frampton (with Frampton's Camel and solo), Yes, Gary Wright, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Brewer & Shipley, J. Geils Band, Flo & Eddie, Humble Pie, Stevie Wonder (opened for Stones, played about 6 instruments in an incredible set and basically got booed off the stage as everyone was there for the Stones!)

The first concert I went to was to see a brand new artist named Elton John opening for John Sebastian in early 1970....does anybody even remember John Sebastian any more?

Best musicians I saw.....Keith Emerson and Edgar Winter

Best Live act I saw ....The Who ( no one even a close second)

Worst I saw....Grateful Dead (no stage presence, horrible vocals...I thought they were tuning up for 3 hours when in fact they were actually jamming!)

I can provide specific venues and maybe a few dates if anyone cares.
Gary

Offline metaldams

The first concert I went to was to see a brand new artist named Elton John opening for John Sebastian in early 1970....does anybody even remember John Sebastian any more?

Ever since I've been growing my hair and sideburns longer this past year, both parents and my Aunt, all independent of each other, have told me I look like John Sebastian. 

Shows I've been too I can remember.  Mostly metal, but my tastes are a tad more eclectic these days.  Still love the metal, though.

-  About four or five different Ozzfests.  The majority of them have become interchangeable.  I don't like most of the bands on these bills because while they're heavy, they can't write songs. There'll always be a Judas Priest or Black Sabbath to make Ozzfest worth it.  Seeing Motorhead headline the second stage in '98 and being a few feet away from Lemmy was a truly awesome experience.

- Metallica, four times.  '94, '97, '98, '03.  Got backstage in '97.  Incredible band.

- Jethro Tull and ELP, mid 90's

- KISS - 10/9/96, Philadelphia

- Judas Priest and Megadeth four times each.  The former twice with Ripper on vocals and twice with Halford, once with Queensryche opening, once with Anthrax.

- Pantera, Slayer, Morbid Angel, and a couple of other bands on the Extreme Steel tour in 2000.  I believe it was Pantera's last tour.

- Eric Clapton

- Twisted Sister at the Electric Factory in '05.  A very entertaining show.

- Because my ex was into hair metal, I got dragged along to a bill that had Ratt, Dokken, Warrant, Firehouse, and L.A. Guns all in the same night!  Also saw Ratt in some crap bar in Dover, Delaware.  I don't usually drink, but I got wasted that night! 

- Easter Sunday 2002 - Is there a better day for extreme metal?  Not a fan of these bands, but some friends dragged me along to a bill with Cannibal Corpse and Dimmu Borgir and The Haunted. 

- Iron Maiden twice.  Another awesome live band

- In Flames and Nevermore

Wish I could see:

The Who with Keith Moon

Alice Cooper

AC/DC with Bon Scott

Ray Davies with an acoustic guitar in a local coffee shop.

The Beatles in Hamburg

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I can provide specific venues and maybe a few dates if anyone cares.
Gary

When did you see Alice Cooper, Jethro Tull, and The Kinks?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Rich Finegan

Gary
Oh absolutely...he was / is one of the greats. I saw him in the early 1970's, but I don't recall any opening act.
I have all the Lovin' Spoonful albums, and all Sebastian's solos as well (even his first on both different labels).