Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

What are the best Three Stooges films?

Guest · 34 · 7782

Offline Apple Skin on Inside

Stooge 1029

My favorites change over time. I may agree with you that the Stooges came into their own in 1938, but that does not diminish Men In Black, Uncivil Warriors, etc. I also very much enjoy the shorts that you mention.

Years ago, I would never have placed Women Haters in the top five or ten, perhaps. But over time, I have grown to appreciate the freshness of the short, the innocence.

I appreciate Shemp, however, I can not put any of the Shemp shorts in the top five. The crispness in movement and editing is gone. The reliance on violence for violence sake in many of the Shemps detracts from them.
For Duty and Humanity
We All Put the Yeast In

Offline Dolemite

I'm doing really well with this list, even though it needs to be reversed:  http://www.tv.com/the-three-stooges-show/show/19062/episode.html?tag=ep_guide;paginator;Top%20Episodes&season=Top%20Episodes

The fact that the episode where they were plumbers was #1 was to me a good sign, as that has long been my favorite.  I've watched the first 10 so far and they were terrific.

I'm sure it's no secret that the complete collection is on Pirate Bay and Demonoid and I'm sure others, but I found that simply putting the title in quotes and adding the word "rapidshare" has brought up all of them. 

ThumpTheShoes

I appreciate Shemp, however, I can not put any of the Shemp shorts in the top five. The crispness in movement and editing is gone. The reliance on violence for violence sake in many of the Shemps detracts from them.

Ooh, I don't know about that. I'd say that Three Arabian Nuts has a very energetic comic pace and the editing, especially the bit where the Genius changes Shemp's clothes back to normal (C'mon! It's perfect!), is top notch.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I'm sure it's no secret that the complete collection is on Pirate Bay and Demonoid and I'm sure others, but I found that simply putting the title in quotes and adding the word "rapidshare" has brought up all of them. 
Well all of us here have purchased the DVD sets so I don't think we need scaled back crappy AVI files from scattered sources.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

ThumptheShoes: Perfection? I enjoy the short, but it is not in the top twenty, let alone the top ten or five. The best eShemp shorts, as a whole, do not compare with the best or mid-level Curly shorts.
For Duty and Humanity
We All Put the Yeast In

Offline JazzBill

ThumptheShoes: Perfection? I enjoy the short, but it is not in the top twenty, let alone the top ten or five. The best eShemp shorts, as a whole, do not compare with the best or mid-level Curly shorts.

One of my all time favorite Stooge shorts is " Who Done It ? " In my opinion it stacks up with any of the Curly shorts.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

ThumpTheShoes

Warning: Short answer is below!

Yes, the bit where Shemp is running down the corridor and his zoot suit changes back to the chinos and work shirt is perfect! From the filmmaking side, the setup and delivery of the gags within the film are executed in exemplary form.. Though older, the Boys' energy levels and comic timing are top notch .. And the short itself typifies the whole "urban" premise of the later Stooges-- the shorts that take place indoors, where the boys often have steady employment and, seemingly, life outside the four (or, three!) walls of the story. They're caught up in events while working towards a goal, rather than fumbling their way through the next adventure, or just faking their way through the odd job.

There's no sketch feel to it like, say, Men in Black, which consists of setups for general, unrelated instances of hospital tomfoolery. But there's one difference in the styles right there: story. Simple, concise and to the point but, within it's own confines handled very well. The frenetic, early Curly era rarely suffered pacing issues (Except in cases like the wrestling bit in Restless Knights!) as the shorts were bursts of pure energy. Later on and with Shemp, we get direction, structure (repetition!) and solidity of characters as the boys had settled into their personas.

Did we lose some of that naive, boyhood, piss-and-vinegar energy of the early 30's with the development of the act, and the boys as performers and individuals? Maybe it was a tradeoff? (As in, the act had to mature as the actors did..)

Short Answer: It is in my top 20, for sure.

Offline ProfessorStooge

I believe the best Three Stooges films came from their Golden Age. Some that come to mind include Men in Black, Pop Goes the Easel, You Nazty Spy!, A Plumbing We Will Go, and An Ache in Every Stake.

ThumptheShoes:

I appreciate your excellent comment and analysis of the later Stooge (Shemp) short & shorts. You certainly provided me with some things to think about. However, I guess that I appreciate the Depression Era Stooges for their strong anti-establishment nature, their anti-high society beliefs. They were the "outsiders", they often represented the outcasts of society. It was often up to the Stooges to show that the emperor has no cloths, whether that was high society in the art world, the fashion world or as veterans of WWI. The Stooges told it like it was.

But I will look anew at Shemp and later Curly's with your comments in mind. As a fifty year "veteran" of Stooge watching I appreciate it. By the way, ThumptheShoes, you may appreciate this. My father passed away about ten years ago. The last time I was with him we watched the Stooges ogether. The last question that he asked me was, "What time do the Stooges come on (TV)". I told him, said good bye to him. He passed away the next day. It was the last time that I spoke to him or saw him alive;

Take care
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 04:16:28 PM by Apple Skin on Inside »
For Duty and Humanity
We All Put the Yeast In