Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Stooges Collection, Volume 8

xraffle

"Mid-2010"
Sony and HomeTheaterForum.com

From your link: "Our reliable Sony source says look for the final volume about mid-2010."

Looks like Volume 8 will be the last after all and will contain the final 32 shorts. It will probably be a 3 disc set then.

Offline falsealarms

From your link: "Our reliable Sony source says look for the final volume about mid-2010."

Looks like Volume 8 will be the last after all and will contain the final 32 shorts. It will probably be a 3 disc set then.

If so, I could see MSRP go from 24.95 to 29.95.

Offline Porcupine73

Awesome!

I think Sony's intent was to provide more shorts in the final volume because of so much recycled footage, so maybe the MSRP will be the same as the first seven.

I recently got the Blue Thunder complete series DVDs from Sony, and they are a 3-disc set packaged the same as Stooges vols 1-7... two slimline plastic shells, the only difference being one has Disc 1 and the second has Discs 2 and 3. (Also no bonus features, not that any would be expected for an obscure 11-episode series) I'd imagine Stooges Vol 8 will be packaged this same way.

Offline archiezappa

Aw Right!  Finally, an official announcement of the final set of 3 Stooges shorts.  I can't wait!  That will be the absolute best!

But, again, I can't help but wonder if the feature films will be rereleased in a box set...

Offline locoboymakesgood

Hold the phone - Mike S. isn't Wikipedia! Let us not jump to any conclusions.

;D
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline luke795

I would like to know if Have Rocket Will Travel will be released on DVD.  Can someone email Mike S. about Have Rocket Will Travel?

xraffle

Hold the phone - Mike S. isn't Wikipedia! Let us not jump to any conclusions.

You'd be surprised. I got an "A" on couple of papers in college when I used Wikipedia as a source. I even listed it on my Reference page (which is always required when writing papers or else it's plagiarism) and those professors didn't seem to mind.  However, there were a few I had that didn't allow us to use it, so I had no choice but to look elsewhere for information. Each prof is different, I guess. I tried not to use it, but Wikipedia always had the most information so I found it the most useful (and I said "useful" not reliable). ;D

Offline falsealarms

I would like to know if Have Rocket Will Travel will be released on DVD.  Can someone email Mike S. about Have Rocket Will Travel?

I did a couple nights ago. Nothing yet.

Offline locoboymakesgood

You'd be surprised. I got an "A" on couple of papers in college when I used Wikipedia as a source. I even listed it on my Reference page (which is always required when writing papers or else it's plagiarism) and those professors didn't seem to mind.  However, there were a few I had that didn't allow us to use it, so I had no choice but to look elsewhere for information. Each prof is different, I guess. I tried not to use it, but Wikipedia always had the most information so I found it the most useful (and I said "useful" not reliable). ;D
The college I go to actually has a "No Wikipedia" policy in effect. Anyone who uses it in any context for any paper can get expelled.

No! No! No!

Ozzy = Curly (general public favorite)
Dio = Shemp (non general public favorite, hardcoe fans love him)
Joe = Ian Gillan/Glenn Hughes (short term in Stooges/Sabbath, non-popular eras)
Curly Joe = Tony Martin (stuck around forever in an unpopular era)

By the way, welcome to the board!
The same kind of thing I was thinking about in my posts about "Joe and Curly-Joe eras in other places".

http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=2649.0
http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=2858.0
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

xraffle

The college I go to actually has a "No Wikipedia" policy in effect. Anyone who uses it in any context for any paper can get expelled.

Wow!! That's interesting. In the school I went to, it all depended on the professor. But come to think of it, I actually wasn't able to use Wikipedia during my last year because all of my profs wanted us to use journal articles as sources. But it all came down to the professor really. Some had higher standards than others.

Offline Seamus

I don't want to morph this topic into a Wiki apologists thread, but this "No Wikipedia" school policy seems awfully harsh, and strikes me as being a knee-jerk policy in response to all the late night talk show jokes about Wikipedia being some bastion of pure misinformation.  If you stick to topics that aren't politically charged or likely to evoke divisive rhetoric from people, it's as accurate as any real encyclopedia.  I refer to Wiki pretty regularly for the technical writing work I do, to bone up on scientific/technical/mathematical concepts I'm ignorant on.  Great tool.

As a source of information on Sony DVD release schedules, though....well....

Offline locoboymakesgood

..and strikes me as being a knee-jerk policy in response to all the late night talk show jokes about Wikipedia being some bastion of pure misinformation.
That and because of plagiarism they fear students will just rip it off. And professors I've had said some stupid people actually did do that and just copied and pasted Wiki articles.

Offline falsealarms

That and because of plagiarism they fear students will just rip it off. And professors I've had said some stupid people actually did do that and just copied and pasted Wiki articles.

I had one professor who used a Wikipedia entry as her lecture notes. She essentially just read off parts of them and called it a lecture. Perhaps it's no coincidence she doesn't appear to be teaching at my school any longer.

Offline archiezappa

It's difficult to find writings that are not biased in at least some way or another.  Even those old World Book Encyclopedias that I had while I was growing up.  There was at least some kind of bias throughout.  But I guess that would still be more "official" than wikipedia.  Granted, I don't always trust wikipedia, either.

Offline dimelives

Maybe teachers of today are just pissed because it's so quick and easy for kids to find info online today, when they had to spend hours in libraries and crap scouring through books and articles, so they're trying to get even ;D haha

Offline ProfessorStooge

I would love to see the Healy/Stooges films in the Warner Archive Collection someday. There were 5 features and 4 shorts they did as a group. Turn Back the Clock, Fugitive Lovers, and Hollywood Party were cameos, while Meet the Baron and Dancing Lady gave them more screen time. Since Hello Pop! is the only MGM short that is lost, Curly's solo film Roast Beef and Movies would be included.

Offline vomit

Wow!! That's interesting. In the school I went to, it all depended on the professor. But come to think of it, I actually wasn't able to use Wikipedia during my last year because all of my profs wanted us to use journal articles as sources. But it all came down to the professor really. Some had higher standards than others.

when I wrote my Masters thesis a few years ago, Wikipedia was most definitely not allowed to be used as a resource.
Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

I have thought about that before, and it really IS an interesting question.  Shemp still had a lot to give by the time he rejoined the boys, but, yeah, he was 10 years younger in the mid -30's.  I've seen a few Shemp Vitaphones, but it's been a while and it's not like those shorts are a part of my DNA the way the Columbia 190 are.  Y'know, I do have some VHS tapes of old Vitaphones, perhaps I should view them again to get a fresh perspective.  I think I'll do so tonight.

OK, I actually watched a few Shemp Vitaphones for the first time in a while.  The brief rundown.

IN THE DOUGH:  I actually think this is Shemp's first non-Stooge talking role.  It's from 1932.  As far as Shemp goes, he's pretty much a "stooge" for a gangster, who basically slaps Shemp around, very much like Healy did.  Shemp didn't have much to do, but then again, this is a very early role.  Of greater interest is that this is a Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle film, one of the few talkies he made shortly before he died and also one of the few post scandal films he made.  I'm not sure if he had much creative control the way he did in the silent days, but poor Roscoe doesn't quite have the charm he did in the old days.  Can't blame the guy, he went through a lot since 1921, and so did movies in general.

WHY PAY RENT:  The billed star is Roscoe Ates, who I've seen in plenty of old movies as a stock character.  Basically, his schtick was to speak in an extreme stutter, and I wouldn't be surprised if he inspired Porky Pig.  I've always found him to be a bit one-dimensional.  Shemp as the annoying brother-in-law is much better, shooting off one-liner after one-liner and even taking a few falls that appears to be him and not a stunt double, unlike say, the Columbia days when he was a bit older.  The premise is they're building a house with numbered parts that help you assemble it together. Somebody screws up the numbers and the house gets screwed up as a result, just like "One Week" from Buster Keaton.  Of course, this short ain't Keaton level good, but Shemp's very enjoyable.

SERVES YOU RIGHT:  Shemp dresses in drag trying to serve a writ to a tough guy.  If he does so, he'll get the money to marry his sweetheart.  Never been a fan of cross dressing comedy, but this short ain't bad for what it is.  I do enjoy Shemp demonstrating his writ serving technique to people.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Allen

Hello Everybody! I'm Paul Allen and I'm a 51 year old lifelong Stooge fan!  I would like to share with you why I think there will be a Volume 8 and a Volume 9 of THE THREE STOOGES COLLECTION to finish and complete the set properly.

First of all, it would only make sense for Sony to stay as consistent as they can for as long as they can until they get to the last year that THE THREE STOOGES shorts were released in theaters,1959. And in that same year, their full-length feature film "Have Rocket, Will Travel" was released and has never been issued on DVD!
So far, all the volumes have covered 3 years each, so there is no reason for Sony to stray from that format with the release of Volume 8. That is simple logic. Sony could easily do it one of two ways:

VOLUME 8: 1955-1957  24 total shorts
Disc One - 12 Shemp shorts
Disc Two -  4 fake Shemp shorts, 8 Besser shorts
VOLUME 9: 1958-1959 This is where it has to end, but could still be a 2-disc set.
Disc One - 8 Besser shorts
Disc Two - "HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL" - Full-length movie with Curly Joe DeRita never before available on DVD!

OR
VOLUME 8: 1955-1957  20 total shorts (ending with 1st half of 1957 with "Space Ship Sappy")
Disc One - 10 Shemp shorts
Disc Two -  2 Shemp shorts, 4 fake Shemp shorts, 4 Besser shorts
VOLUME 9: 1957-1959 (starting with 2nd half of 1957 with "Guns A Poppin!")
Disc One - 12 Besser shorts
Disc Two - "HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL" - Full-length movie with Curly Joe DeRita never before available on DVD!

Note: These sets have been released for the purpose of THE THREE STOOGES COLLECTION as an acting comedy team. The solo shorts that Shemp Howard, Joe Besser, and Curly Joe DeRita did in their careers have absolutely nothing to do officially with THE THREE STOOGES shorts or full-length movies. I am all-for the solo shorts to be released in the future, but they have nothing to do with these sets that have been (and are still being) released as THE THREE STOOGES COLLECTION.

Thanks - Paul Allen

Offline Porcupine73

Take it for what it's worth, but here's someone who claims to be privy to info on upcoming Stooges DVD posting on hometheaterforum.com.

I realize most stooges fans group "HAVE ROCKET WILL TRAVEL" with all of the "Curly Joe"DeRita stooge features, but that film was produced by another Producer & released by Columbia.  The other films were produced by Normandy Productions, Moe's son-in-law Norman Mauer, and they have been licensed for DVD.  "HAVE ROCKET WILL TRAVEL" was produced by Harry A. Romm productions, who held 50% ownership under the oiginal contract.  This requires different negotiations.

Also, I don't understand the argument that the Shemp/Besser solo shorts don't belong in future DVD collections of the 190 short subjects, but the full-length Have Rocket Will Travel does. Why not just do the 190 first, which is what we all want, and then release HRWT seperately like any feature film?

Offline Paul Allen

Porcupine73,  That's just it - I don't group "Have Rocket, Will Travel" with the other Curly Joe features. That's why it would be a perfect fit to be included on the final volume of THE THREE STOOGES COLLECTION set along with the final two shorts released in the same year, 1959. Sony is going to need some kind of "hook" to sell the last (and weakest) volume. Go back and read your last post and it should help answer your own question.

The best analogy I can think of concerning the solo shorts is this:
The Beatles broke-up and ended their "group" in 1970. Anything that Paul, John, George, and Ringo did later as "solo artists" has absolutely nothing to do with THE BEATLES as a group or a brand name.
Likewise, anything that Shemp, Joe, or Curly Joe did as solo artists with Columbia (or any other studio) has absolutely nothing to do with what is legally known as THE THREE STOOGES (as an acting team or brand name). It's so simple, I really don't know how much more plainly it can be explained. I hope as much as anyone else that the solo shorts will be released on DVD someday, but they will not be released with anything pertaining to THE THREE STOOGES.

Now back to the subject of "Have Rocket, Will Travel". I do realize that Sony may have plans to give it its very own individual DVD release. If that turns out to be the case, then Volume 8 will contain 32 shorts and that would possibly require 3 discs.
Then Volume 8 would be titled:  THE THREE STOOGES Collection  -Volume Eight-  1955-1959

The way Sony chooses to complete THE THREE STOOGES COLLECTION is still somewhat unclear, but one thing that is crystal clear, the solo shorts will not be (and should not be) a part of the puzzle.

Hope this helps  -  Paul Allen

Offline ProfessorStooge

The one thing that makes more sense to me would be to put the last 32 shorts into the final volume. Then following that would be a boxed set of the Curly-Joe features, excluding Snow White and the Three Stooges.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
The one thing that makes more sense to me would be to put the last 32 shorts into the final volume. Then following that would be a boxed set of the Curly-Joe features, excluding Snow White and the Three Stooges.

That makes the most sense to me, personally.  It would be easy enough to put three DVDs in the two slimline cases, so they wouldn't have to really change the packaging.  I'd prefer the DeRita films in a similar but separate collection; they could even put two films in each volume with similar packaging and pricing.   [cool]

Offline Porcupine73

Thanks for clarifying your reasoning Paul.

I don't feel strongly about Have Rocket Will Travel. I transferred last summer's TV broadcast of the film to a DVD-R, so I have a copy until an official release happens. I have vague memories of seeing it in on TV in the late 70s or early 80s. It isn't that great of a film IMHO, not even the best of the DeRita features. Still, I'd like to see a seperate release for it, maybe the first Stooges material on Blu Ray, showcasing it as the first Stooge feature, instead of pairing it with 8 Joe Besser shorts. I'm all for the final 32 only, on a 1955-1959 volume with a double-slimline for the last 2 discs.

But I get your reasoning Paul: the last Besser short and HRWT came out in 1959.