Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Stooges Collection, Volume 8

Offline Final Shemp

• I'm sawin' a saw in half with a saw, see?
  • Applehead
Good things come to those who wait.  I remember the 6 month wait between volume 1 and volume 2.  Will the series continue?  Did it sell well?  That was more painful than the wait for volume 8 is.  At least I know it's in the works.

I waited nearly a decade for a chronological Stooges collection, I can wait a little longer.  I have my fingers crossed we get an announcment within the next month.  Of course, I've had my fingers crossed for "whithin the next month" for about three months now.

Offline stradivarius

I think metaladams has a point. You need to keep cool like all the rest of us. A Vol. 8 will be revealed before you know it.

Offline metaldams

I waited nearly a decade for a chronological Stooges collection, I can wait a little longer. 

EXACTLY!  We're 7/8 of the way there, and I don't see why they'd stop now. Based on what little we've heard from the people behind this, volume 8 will see the light of day, and a few more months, heck, even another year, won't be a disaster. 

My understanding is the restoration of these films may take awhile, and if that is indeed the case, so be it.  I'd rather they take their time and release a good product then just rush it out there to satisfy a few impatient fans and make a quick buck.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was Syracuse.  That is the official mantra of this thread, my fine feathered friends.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HELLOLARRY

Yes, lets keep our collective cools here and save the real anger for when Sony releases the megaset that has all the solo Shemp and Joe's as bonus features. ha ha.

All kidding aside, in the meantime I'm sure the majority of us have a way of watching the Stooges in some kind of format until the final volume comes out.  Half of the fun for me at least is the anticipation.

Dog Hambone

Heck, with the amount of re-used footage in the later shorts, we probably already own a lot of what is on there!

Also, the sooner the last volume is released, the sooner we get to suffer through SWEET AND HOT again.

xraffle

If it takes as long as the end of this year to release Volume 8, I wouldn't mind. I can wait. However, I'm a bit nervous that Volume 8 might not come out after all. So, a little news from Sony with an estimated date wouldn't hurt.

Two reasons I'm a bit worried that Volume 8 may not see the light of day on DVD:
(1) Too many people complained about the last volume due to Goof On The Roof's widescreen cropping
(2) This volume basically just includes the remaining Shemp shorts (mostly remakes including the Fake Shemp ones) and the Joe's. Sony may not feel that there's enough demand to release a final volume.

But this is just paranoid xraffle talking, so don't take me too seriously. They're just worried thoughts. But if it makes anyone feel any better, the last set of any TV show always takes the longest to release. That's because the studios want to give people a chance to catch up on the previous releases before they come out with the final set.

Offline Stooges#1

However, I'm a bit nervous that Volume 8 might not come out after all.

I would be absolutely gutted if that happened. Not only would that mean not getting the last of the Shemp shorts, but it would also mean not getting all 190 Moe and Larry shorts. And that is the biggest reason why I want the Joe Besser shorts on DVD.

In saying all that I would gladly wait 'til the end of the year.

Offline Final Shemp

• Applehead
I'd be pretty bummed too.  Joe may not be my favorite, but being so close to a complete Columbia Stooge shorts collection to stop dry?  My god!  I'd hate Sony forever!  Or until they do something to make me love them again.  But I'd still be pretty unhappy!

If Stop, Look, and Laugh can get a DVD release, then the rest of the Shemp shorts should be given a shot.  And I'm anxious to hear news of a feature film collection in the near future, as well.

I want Have Rocket, Will Travel, damnit!  A Crackle.com entry isn't good enough!  Well...it helps a little, but nothing boosts the self satisfaction like a DVD case on display!

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
They are not about to go thru all the trouble to release all these volumes and then stop near the end because of Shemp Remakes And Joe Bessers less popular comedies with the boys. We should hear something this month or next I'm sure.   May or June would be a great release time (just in time for summer vacation with the stooges!)

Added my worthless two cents as always (and valueless opinion) I would love to see the Shemp solo's tacked (not income tacks) on to the end of the Shemp years volume (what a incentive to purchase that volume) and the same for the Besser shorts (some of us have these and the solo shemps already, and some of the Joe's are not that bad-  the short with the fat kid on the train, the title of which escapes me at the moment was pretty funny to me.   this would pad out the remaining volumes with extras we would all like to have in our collections.

Offline JazzBill

the short with the fat kid on the train, the title of which escapes me at the moment was pretty funny to me.   

I believe you're talking about "Caught On The Bounce".
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Thanks JazzBill, I was trying to remember and I cheated and looked it up in the solo Joes section.  Of all the ones I have seen of his, that was the funniest to me, and I still stand by my stance that Joe Besser is funnier than Joe DeRita.  ( I have those shorts as well and they are not as good as JB's in my opinion)

Offline dimelives

The one thing that makes me sweat is that report of falling DVD sales for Sony, and them laying all those people off. I think that would be one of the biggest delaying factors of all for this next (probably last) volume. So now it's all just a matter of does Sony care about finishing the set after "getting this far", or only about what they can "afford" at the moment?... Will have to just see how the balancing act plays out.

PS: When I finally got to watching "Goofs on the Roof", I couldn't BELIEVE the amount of complaining on here over the cropping... It is REALLY not as bad as some have made the case (not for me, anyway), for sub-par cropping that lasts all of one second. It's not perfect, but that some people wanted a RECALL of the sets for it... just wow. I'd throw more a fit (if any) over the so-so 3D implementation (though I guess we shouldn't be expected an Avatar from 50s footage :P ).

Offline Final Shemp

• Applehead
I recall reading on this site a while ago that Mike Schlesinger said that the Stooges sets sold very well for Sony.  Last I think we heard from him he said that the restoration on volume 8 was underway.  Of course, that hearsay.  I'm too lazy to look up the links.

Of course, there's always the possiblity that he was one of the 450 that was laid off.  But if restoration has already begun, I think they'll finish it.

Offline archiezappa

They've just got to finish this series.  But I'm still looking for two more volumes.  You know, one that finishes up the shorts and one for the feature films.  That would be awesome!

As for the whole "Goof on the Roof" thing, having "Spooks" and "Pardon My Backfire" in 3-D more than makes up for 2 seconds of cropping.

Offline Rich Finegan

I recall reading on this site a while ago that Mike Schlesinger said that the Stooges sets sold very well for Sony.  Last I think we heard from him he said that the restoration on volume 8 was underway.  Of course, that hearsay.  I'm too lazy to look up the links.

I should be seeing Mike in three weeks. I can ask him.

Offline Final Shemp

• Applehead
You know Mike?  That's awsome.  The man has been a wonder for cult fanboys.  He was also behind a deal of the Toho monster movie sets that have come out on DVD.

Offline stradivarius

Volume 8 I can hardly wait! Whoo whoo whoo whoo [3stooges]

What's funny about your post, becks dark, is that "I Can Hardly Wait" is a title for one of the stooge shorts. That short is #73 and is in Volume 4. Also, Moe says, "Home Sweet Home, I can hardly wait!" in the beginning of short #25, "Cash and Carry", in Volume 2.

Offline JekyllHyde

Mike S posts over to the Classic Horror Film Board sometimes and recently he posted that he is still employed at Sony. Also he has stated that the Stooges are hugh money makers for Sony and that Vol 8 is still coming out. And that it wouldn`t be out before Summer.

Offline Rich Finegan

You know Mike?  That's awsome.  The man has been a wonder for cult fanboys.  He was also behind a deal of the Toho monster movie sets that have come out on DVD.
Living on opposite coasts I don't see him very often. So I can't say I'm a close friend, but it's always a pleasure to catch up and chat when we run into eachother at Film Shows, as I expect to in a couple of weeks.

He's definitely a good guy to have "on our side". He's a fan and collector, and a good writer (he writes Program Notes for film shows).

I have a funny picture of him and me...wish I knew how to post it!