Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Stooges Collection, Volume 8

Offline Larry Fine Fan

That's great! Real pride there.... My Mother still rolls her eyes when I talk about them!

Metal, I completely agree with you about Joe. The man was apparently super-sweet and cherished, truly cherished his time with Moe and Larry.

One of my favorite Stooge moments is all Joe; when he breaks the third wall and says into the camera "I HATE HIM!" My mind is blanking right now on the short's name, of course.

It's "Oils Well That Ends Well", right before Joe sits on the plunger-thingy that blows up the wall that Moe and Larry are standing at.

Offline locoboymakesgood

That would be absolutely PERFECT!! Please, PLEASE Columbia do it that way!!
Sure we've heard that they'll be releasing the solo Shemp and Joe shorts later. But pardon me for being dubious (still waiting for the long-promised Columbia Charley Chase shorts set) and I just have to doubt we'll ever see those solo shorts released by Columbia if not as parts of these Stooges sets.

But I'll be delighted if Sony/Columbia would prove me wrong!
I've been following the status on these releases pretty religiously and if I recall that was the original plan. However Sony didn't see it viable from a standpoint and opted to release them later, most likely in some box set with all 190 shorts and a bunch of other stuff.

Anything can happen. I'd prefer it like it was originally planned as well.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

I've been following the status on these releases pretty religiously and if I recall that was the original plan. However Sony didn't see it viable from a standpoint and opted to release them later, most likely in some box set with all 190 shorts and a bunch of other stuff.

Anything can happen. I'd prefer it like it was originally planned as well.

I also prefer it as they originally planned it.  They should release these as part of the Three Stooges Collection.  There will be no other interest than that.  It would be like the Charley Chase Collection: always anticipated, but never released.  Sony should stick to their original plan.  That would be the best.  They shouldn't second guess themselves on this.  They've got it right so far, so why stop?

As far as a box with all the stuff and bonus discs, I say phooey!  They should not do that.  That would be a huge insult to those of us who bought these sets as we've gone along.  Anything that should be included must be a part of these box sets and not some huge set that's coming out later.

P.S.  I'd still like to see that Charley Chase set, later on...

Offline HELLOLARRY

As far as a box with all the stuff and bonus discs, I say phooey!  They should not do that.  That would be a huge insult to those of us who bought these sets as we've gone along.  Anything that should be included must be a part of these box sets and not some huge set that's coming out later.

C'mon now, you KNOW that is coming (unfortunately) once they are done with the individual releases.  [pie] Look what Sony has done thus far prior to these chronological releases not to mention some of their other product.  They continually double dip things and stick it to their consumers.  Hey, I fall for it because like many of you I'm not sure if the current release is going to be 'the one' to have and I have to support the product to ensure they continue to release more of it.

Take All in the Family for instance.  They release the first 6 seasons with no bonus features.  Then they come out with the 'Norman Lear collection' which has season one of AITF (along with the first seasons of many of his other productions) AND it includes both pilots that they shot for the show.  If you are a fan of AITF and wanted to get these pilots, you have to shell out $150 (retail price) or something like that.  Then Sony released a 'fan favorite' disc of AITF of 3 or 4 episodes.  Yet the shelves remain bare for the remainder of the series.

While I applaud Sony for the wonderful job they've done restoring these, they still drop the ball on so many other things.  I for one totally expect a complete collection when all is said and done.  It wouldn't even surprise me to see some fan favorite discs down the line ('best of' Curly, 'best of' Shemp) as well. I asked one of my friends if he was going to pick up any of these collections and he said that he would prefer to wait for the complete set. Smart man. :)

That being said, a complete set with the solo films, Time Out for Rhythm (which IMO is their best feature film showcase during the Curly years) and maybe some of the Screen Snapshot segments would be pretty cool and I must admit would be a purchase for me.  [pie] 

While it is too late now, they could've taken a queue from some of the TV shows that have been released (Get Smart, Man From Uncle, Alley McBeal come to mind).  Release the whole thing FIRST.  There are many diehard Stooge fans that would've snapped up the entire 190 film catalog right off the bat.  THEN start releasing these individual sets for those who may just want the Curly years, the Shemp years etc.

Just my thoughts...

Offline stradivarius

I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but Sony Home Video Entertainment is still pondering as of now. I don't think a Volume 8 of the Three Stooges Collection will be planned any time soon, as 20-something more shorts may cramp the chronological releases and ruin it... I don't know what to say.

Offline dimelives

I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but Sony Home Video Entertainment is still pondering as of now. I don't think a Volume 8 of the Three Stooges Collection will be planned any time soon, as 20-something more shorts may cramp the chronological releases and ruin it... I don't know what to say.

Source?

Offline stradivarius

I read the Wikipedia on the "Three Stooges Collection", but I'm uncertain that Sony will commit releasing the last 32 shorts.

A reference may be essential.

xraffle

Wow! That's a shame. They probably think the Joe's wouldn't sell. Hopefully, they'll reconsider. :(

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I read the Wikipedia on the "Three Stooges Collection"...
Wow! That's a shame. They probably think the Joe's wouldn't sell. Hopefully, they'll reconsider.

Let's end these multiplying rumors and tales now. There is 1 official source of information in regard to the next Stooges volume, and that is Sony. It is not Wikipedia.

This is what Sony's rep had to say about Volume 8, and the Besser shorts' debut on DVD, just a few weeks ago... *
If I may answer: yes, they are. The problem is that since they were never released in any video format, restoration will take longer than usual, so please be patient.
Mike S.

* HomeTheaterForum.com

xraffle

You know, this proves I'm really out of it lately. I didn't even realize there was a 3rd page to this thread. I didn't see that last post where stradivarius said his source is Wikipedia.

And the way stradivarius was talking in that one post, I thought he was one of the Sony reps or experts, like S&C and Bob Furmanek. Because let's face it, we have a lot of them here and I don't know who is the legitimate rep/expert now. :D

Seriously though- perhaps, going forward, if a particular member has some sort of connection with Sony (like S&C) or is some special expert (like Bob), perhaps maybe he/she should put it in their custom title or something. Stradivarius sure had me fooled there.

xraffle

By the way, does Mike S know about this site? It would be great if he could post updates here as well. I don't visit HomeTheaterForum.com.

Offline falsealarms

By the way, does Mike S know about this site? It would be great if he could post updates here as well. I don't visit HomeTheaterForum.com.

I agree... this is where he belongs. But I'd hope to get an announcement sometime this month for a spring release.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Wikipedia? haha... wow. Yeah, that's credibility.

I wish Mike S. would comment a bit more on the solo shorts. I'm really itching to see those.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

Wikipedia? haha... wow. Yeah, that's credibility.

I wish Mike S. would comment a bit more on the solo shorts. I'm really itching to see those.

No doubt, especially the Shemp solos. I've really been into his Vitaphone solo shorts lately.

Offline Rich Finegan

I'm sure he must know about this site.
But I agree it would be nice to have him participate in these discussions and possibly give us some info and answers.
I do know Mike and can contact him and make sure to let him know we'd love to have him aboard here.

Offline Seamus

I'm more excited about the possibility of the solo shorts getting a release than I am about the remaining Stooge shorts, to be honest.  Had a chance to sample a couple of Shemp's Vitaphone films recently, and I'd love to see more.  As fantastic as Shemp was during his second go-round with the Stooges, I sometimes wonder of we were seeing him past his prime by the time he made Fright Night.  The glimpses I've seen of the younger Shemp in the Vitaphones - cleverly ad-libbing little asides under his breath in every scene like a live-action Popeye - really makes me want to dive into his older work.

Offline Capn11kid

You wouldnt want the joes just to complete the set? I know they suck but I figure you gotta have all 190.

Come on fellas...  lay off Joe.  I mean...

I get it. Joe is like Dio taking over for Ozzy.

He had his own charm. If was good enough for Moe and Larry...

Offline metaldams

I get it. Joe is like Dio taking over for Ozzy.

No! No! No!

Ozzy = Curly (general public favorite)
Dio = Shemp (non general public favorite, hardcoe fans love him)
Joe = Ian Gillan/Glenn Hughes (short term in Stooges/Sabbath, non-popular eras)
Curly Joe = Tony Martin (stuck around forever in an unpopular era)

By the way, welcome to the board!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I'm more excited about the possibility of the solo shorts getting a release than I am about the remaining Stooge shorts, to be honest.  Had a chance to sample a couple of Shemp's Vitaphone films recently, and I'd love to see more.  As fantastic as Shemp was during his second go-round with the Stooges, I sometimes wonder of we were seeing him past his prime by the time he made Fright Night.  The glimpses I've seen of the younger Shemp in the Vitaphones - cleverly ad-libbing little asides under his breath in every scene like a live-action Popeye - really makes me want to dive into his older work.

Interesting take. Do people think Shemp was past his comedic prime by 1946/1947? His Stooge shorts were largely fantastic but those Vitaphones can be just as good.

For those into the Vitaphones, find a used copy of the "Wise Guys" DVD. That has 5-6 Vitaphones... HIS FIRST FLAME (in poor shape on the disc, in better shape on other collections, such as "The Early Years" DVD), WHY PAY RENT (in worse shape, a lot of heads cut off at the top), but the other 4 are in decent shape... DIZZY AND DAFFY, a real gem, SERVES YOU RIGHT, I SCREAM, and HERE COMES FLOSSIE.

I e-mailed the Warner Archive requesting a collection of his Vitaphones.

Offline metaldams

Interesting take. Do people think Shemp was past his comedic prime by 1946/1947? His Stooge shorts were largely fantastic but those Vitaphones can be just as good.

I have thought about that before, and it really IS an interesting question.  Shemp still had a lot to give by the time he rejoined the boys, but, yeah, he was 10 years younger in the mid -30's.  I've seen a few Shemp Vitaphones, but it's been a while and it's not like those shorts are a part of my DNA the way the Columbia 190 are.  Y'know, I do have some VHS tapes of old Vitaphones, perhaps I should view them again to get a fresh perspective.  I think I'll do so tonight.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Capn11kid

No! No! No!

Ozzy = Curly (general public favorite)
Dio = Shemp (non general public favorite, hardcoe fans love him)
Joe = Ian Gillan/Glenn Hughes (short term in Stooges/Sabbath, non-popular eras)
Curly Joe = Tony Martin (stuck around forever in an unpopular era)

By the way, welcome to the board!

When you're right, your right!

Thanks for the welcome.

I received Volumes 1-4 for Xmas and 5-7 today for my birthday!

I want the Joe episodes because I grew up watching them after school as a kid. I want to recapture the whole collection.

Offline falsealarms

I have thought about that before, and it really IS an interesting question.  Shemp still had a lot to give by the time he rejoined the boys, but, yeah, he was 10 years younger in the mid -30's.  I've seen a few Shemp Vitaphones, but it's been a while and it's not like those shorts are a part of my DNA the way the Columbia 190 are.  Y'know, I do have some VHS tapes of old Vitaphones, perhaps I should view them again to get a fresh perspective.  I think I'll do so tonight.

You should then report back here  ;D

I'll add that some of those Vitaphones compare favorably with his best Stooge efforts. I didn't have big expectations for those Vitaphones, but I was blown away by most of them and was left wondering why I didn't explore them years ago.

Offline Seamus

Yeah, exactly my thinking.  It was the issue of Shemp's age during his Stooge years that got me speculating along those lines.  If he could be this much fun to watch in his 50s, he must have been a comedy dynamo 10 or 15 years earlier.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

There is 1 official source of information in regard to the next Stooges volume, and that is Sony.

"Mid-2010"
Sony and HomeTheaterForum.com

Offline falsealarms

"Mid-2010"
Sony and HomeTheaterForum.com

Later than I would have hoped (April-ish) but as long we get it, that's all that counts. It could end up being the longest wait between volumes and since this is the last one, it's arguably the most agonizing wait of them all. So close, yet so far away.

Now only if we get those solo shorts...