Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Stooges Collection, Volume 8

Offline stradivarius

Um, I don't wish to offend, but I think xraffle has told us to be patient, didn't he?

Offline metaldams

Um, I don't wish to offend, but I think xraffle has told us to be patient, didn't he?

You should all be patient, so it shall be written, so it shall be done.  Not because xraffle said so, but because I did!  Now fetch me my slippers.  :police:
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Stooge fans are frothing for volume 8 & all the wonders that'll come with it--the back of Joe Palma's head, digitally remastered no less. No wonder we stoogeheads are dripping with anticipation.

Bring it on Sony.

:D

Say what you will about Palma, but I guarantee the back of Palma's head is more famous than any of the back of the heads of the 6 real Stooges or even the 12 others the Forrester Brothers told us about.  That is quite an accomplishment, my friend.

Besides, volume 8 gives us the singing and dancing talents of Muriel Landers!!!

By the way, good to see you around.  I remember you from the C3 board.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

I think it's just Shemp's way of saying Syracuse is significantly smaller than Rome, and even THAT takes time to create.  Syracuse is just such a random place to mention, and that's why the joke is funny to me.  The Syracuse line is by far the Stooge line I use the most in my conversations.

I think it refers to the Italian cities, Rome and Syracuse, with a twist on the old 'Rome wasn't built in a day' proverb.

BTW, I marched in the Syracuse Brigadiers for a little while!  I hope you can catch Cinefest at the end of March in Liverpool!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline 46kicks

Hey Guys, It's 46kicks here. I'm new to this forum, hell I'm new to any forum except the Great Western!!! It's nice to see all the hardcores in expectation of volume 8 as myself. I'll keep my intro short and sweet. Not too sure who compared the stooges third spot to the rotation of Black Sabbath front men but it was spot on... Your defiantly my kinda people !!! [3stooges]

Offline Paul Allen

I'm trying very, very hard to be patient, but waiting for Volume 8 makes me feel like a 6 year-old kid on Christmas Eve anticipating the exciting, heart-thumping, beautiful, lavish, and miraculous treasures that await me under the tree the next morning!!!

I need my Stooge fix and I need it SOON!! I'm 51 now and I don't know how much longer I can go on without my boys, Fake Shemp and Joe Besser!!  Whenever I think of some of the greatest entertainers and American leaders in history to walk the face of this great planet we call "Earth", I usually think of Joe Besser, George Washington, Babe Ruth, Elvis Presley, Moe Howard, Bob Hope, Larry Fine, Martin Luther King Jr., Willie Mays, Abraham Lincoln, Shemp Howard, Teddy Hoosevelt, Joe Besser again (Wow... the crap is really gettin' deep now), Santa Claus, General George S. Patton, Judy Garland, Neil Armstrong, Emil Sitka, Bing Crosby, Joe Palma, Andy Griffith, W.C. Fields, Johnny Carson, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Billy Graham, and Lassie! There are more, but methinks you get the message!!

There's an old Elvis Presley song title that reminds me of the coming Volume 8 set: I Want You, I Need You, I Love You.

If I were a drunken alcoholic, Volume 8 could take the place of my whiskey.
If I were a heroin addict, Volume 8 could take the place of my syringe.
If I were a sailor in Europe, Volume 8 could take the place of a French whore.
If I were an infant baby, Volume 8 could take the place of my mother's tit.
If I were a scuba diver, Volume 8 could take the place of my oxygen tank.
If I fell overboard from a ship in the middle of the Pacific, Volume 8 could take the place of my lifejacket.
If I were an airplane pilot soaring 30,000 feet above the ground, I wouldn't mind one little bit if Volume 8 took the place of my plane's wings.
If I was crawling in the middle of a desert at high noon with tempertures hovering around 122 degrees F., Volume 8 could easily take the place of my canteen bottle filled with ice cold, crystal clear water.
If I ...... aw never mind.

SONY, In You We Trust!

Thank you!  -  Paul Allen
p.s. - When is THE THREE STOOGES Collection, Volume 8 coming out?

Offline 46kicks

It's also nice to see that I'm not the only Besser fan out there. Have another cigar Joey-Woey !!!

Offline metaldams

If I were a drunken alcoholic, Volume 8 could take the place of my whiskey.
If I were a heroin addict, Volume 8 could take the place of my syringe.
If I were a sailor in Europe, Volume 8 could take the place of a French whore.
If I were an infant baby, Volume 8 could take the place of my mother's tit.
If I were a scuba diver, Volume 8 could take the place of my oxygen tank.
If I fell overboard from a ship in the middle of the Pacific, Volume 8 could take the place of my lifejacket.
If I were an airplane pilot soaring 30,000 feet above the ground, I wouldn't mind one little bit if Volume 8 took the place of my plane's wings.
If I was crawling in the middle of a desert at high noon with tempertures hovering around 122 degrees F., Volume 8 could easily take the place of my canteen bottle filled with ice cold, crystal clear water.
If I ...... aw never mind.

(wipes tear from eye)  That was beautiful, man!  As a fellow heroin addict and lover of all types of European street cuisine, I can totally relate.  (Only kidding about the heroin, that stuff's bad, kiddies).

I hear you, I'd like to see volume 8 out too, believe me.  I think they're taking extra time restoring the films, though I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Hey Guys, It's 46kicks here. I'm new to this forum, hell I'm new to any forum except the Great Western!!! It's nice to see all the hardcores in expectation of volume 8 as myself. I'll keep my intro short and sweet. Not too sure who compared the stooges third spot to the rotation of Black Sabbath front men but it was spot on... Your defiantly my kinda people !!! [3stooges]

Welcome aboard!  "Twas I who came up with the Sabbath analogy, and I think it's incredibly true, ESPECIALLY the Curly/Ozzy - Shemp/Dio stuff.  The Internet was the greatest thing to happen to both Shemp and Dio, as it's where all their fans come out of hiding.  They both rule, and for you guys who don't know (and care), Dio's battling stomach cancer, so let's hope he gets better.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline 46kicks

Ya, I knew. I hope he recovers. I'm a huge Dio fan and Shemp fan as well. Let's face it, Tony evolved into twice the guitar player on the heaven & hell album than anything he did with Ozzy and the production was much better on the Dio albums as well. And Shemp.. Don't get me started, All the fuss has always been for Curly as the best third man. As kids, Curly was the TV original, none of us knew about Shemp being the first til we all did our home work. As I do love and applicate Curly, for me it's the other way around. Shemp is the man, my favorite. THAT HAIR, RULES !!! And after watching DeRita, I now realize what a genies Besser was. [cheers]

Offline 46kicks

HEY SONY... LET US GET A WHIFF OF THE VOLUME 8 COVER !!! COME ON, YOUR KILLIN' ME !!!

Offline metaldams

Ya, I knew. I hope he recovers. I'm a huge Dio fan and Shemp fan as well. Let's face it, Tony evolved into twice the guitar player on the heaven & hell album than anything he did with Ozzy and the production was much better on the Dio albums as well. And Shemp.. Don't get me started, All the fuss has always been for Curly as the best third man. As kids, Curly was the TV original, none of us knew about Shemp being the first til we all did our home work. As I do love and applicate Curly, for me it's the other way around. Shemp is the man, my favorite. THAT HAIR, RULES !!! And after watching DeRita, I now realize what a genies Besser was. [cheers]

1.) Tony's guitar playing was evolving the whole time, even on those later Ozzy albums everybody seems to ignore.  Seriously, check out the subtlety in "Air Dance" or the acoustic guitar licks in "Symptom of the Universe," most people never give Sabbath credit for that.  Still, no doubt Tony really evolved by the time Dio came along.  Geezer too.

2.) Thank Martin Birch for the production on the Dio stuff. 

3.) I always say on this board, Shemp and Curly are about equal, but go into my office at work (sadly, "the real world"), and most people think Shemp is second rate if they have an opinion at all about the boys.  To me, it's all apples and oranges, I need 'em both.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline 46kicks

Quick question, Did Birch produce "Mob Rules"? The production doesn't sound quite as good. I know he did a couple of Iron Maiden Albums. Not sure where your from, I reside in Orange County, CA. If you're in the area, in the next couple of months, you'll have to come check out my band "American Animal". We're a mish-mosh of Godsmack meets Thin Lizzy meets Robin Trower meets Tool.

On a different topic, It sounds like one of these guys on here has some inside info and is sure of a definite release of volume 8. Besides the Stooges, I've been watching "the little rascals" with my 11 year old daughter, man is it hilarious!!! It's kinda strange that these old shows are killin' any thing put out today. Gilligan's Island is also a big hit with her.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
On a different topic, It sounds like one of these guys on here has some inside info and is sure of a definite release of volume 8.

As reported here a couple weeks ago, a Sony rep indicated on HomeTheaterForum.com that Volume 8 is tentatively scheduled for mid-2010.

"Mid" could mean anything from May - August, and off-internet info is leaning toward August. IF that's true, then we'll see an announcement circa May/June.

To all... before another round of rumor nonsense starts... when Sony issues official information, then and only then, is there official information.

Offline JazzBill

To all... before another round of rumor nonsense starts... when Sony issues official information, then and only then, is there official information.

Amen Brent !
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Quick question, Did Birch produce "Mob Rules"? The production doesn't sound quite as good. I know he did a couple of Iron Maiden Albums. Not sure where your from, I reside in Orange County, CA. If you're in the area, in the next couple of months, you'll have to come check out my band "American Animal". We're a mish-mosh of Godsmack meets Thin Lizzy meets Robin Trower meets Tool.

Birch did produce MOB RULES.  As for Maiden, he produced everything from KILLERS all the way up to FEAR OF THE DARK and retired after that.  He also did a lot of the old Deep Purple and Rainbow albums, amongst other things.  He was definitely one of the great hard rock/metal producers around.

As for your band, good luck with them.  I live on the East Coast, but man, Orange county, isn't that where Slayer were originally from?  What do you play?  I'm a bass player, though at this point it's really just a hobby.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline 46kicks

I play guitar. Not sure bout the East Coast, but over here there is a huge shortage of bass players. I've been jamming with my bass player for about 10 years now in various projects. Our last band was on the fringe of becoming something of a big deal, CORE 10. We had a huge local following, pack the House of Blues, Anaheim to capacity (900) on what would be our last big show in 2005. CORE 10 was Metal rhythms, Blues leads, and Punk style vocals. The front man was one of the best I've ever jammed with (best stage presence ever). Live, we came off with out a hitch. The problem was that when we started handing out demos CD's people wanted 7 more as to have a complete set of coasters. Live, people would overlook the lack of vocal talent with such a strong stage presence, unfortunately, that obviously did not shine through on the CD's. American Animal is going for much more of a 70's / 90's style and all musicians aboard are musically strong this time around (NO WEEK LINKS). I just hope my bass player can keep it together. He has a drinking problem and it has gotten somewhat in the way in the past. If he can't... you may have to relocate !!!

HEY !!!     I THINK WE NEED A THREE STOOGES / HARD ROCK FORUM !!!

Offline metaldams

I play guitar. Not sure bout the East Coast, but over here there is a huge shortage of bass players. I've been jamming with my bass player for about 10 years now in various projects. Our last band was on the fringe of becoming something of a big deal, CORE 10. We had a huge local following, pack the House of Blues, Anaheim to capacity (900) on what would be our last big show in 2005. CORE 10 was Metal rhythms, Blues leads, and Punk style vocals. The front man was one of the best I've ever jammed with (best stage presence ever). Live, we came off with out a hitch. The problem was that when we started handing out demos CD's people wanted 7 more as to have a complete set of coasters. Live, people would overlook the lack of vocal talent with such a strong stage presence, unfortunately, that obviously did not shine through on the CD's. American Animal is going for much more of a 70's / 90's style and all musicians aboard are musically strong this time around (NO WEEK LINKS). I just hope my bass player can keep it together. He has a drinking problem and it has gotten somewhat in the way in the past. If he can't... you may have to relocate !!!

HEY !!!     I THINK WE NEED A THREE STOOGES / HARD ROCK FORUM !!!

I never got into drugs or alcohol at all.  The other guys I hang with smoke pot, some more than others, but nothing heavier.  A drummer I jammed with in high school Od'd once on something or other and almost died, but I haven't seen him in years.  Fortunately, no addiction problems in the rest of my circle.  Hopefully your bass player can straighten out, but you know what, I'm in such a rut now I may just do something drastic like move to the west coast.

The irony is today I just jammed with my brother and old friends for the first time in years, and it felt great.  We were sloppy, but the energy was still there and no doubt we'd get tighter with more practice.  The problem is the drummer's moving to Hawaii, but there's definitely chemistry when we all jam.  As I'm sure you know, that's the hardest thing to find.  Doesn't matter how good you are, some musicians just gel better together than others.  That's why bands are so hard to form. 

By the way, you mentioned them above....I LOVE Thin Lizzy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline ArPharazon

If the "times" were different, I think Dudley Dickerson would've been a better replacement for Shemp.

Of course, I've seen him in all the Stooge shorts, plus Tall Dark & Gruesome  and  Phony Cronies.

He's got tons of other appearances, I hope I can get a hold of a lot of them someday.

Offline metaldams

If the "times" were different, I think Dudley Dickerson would've been a better replacement for Shemp.

Of course, I've seen him in all the Stooge shorts, plus Tall Dark & Gruesome  and  Phony Cronies.

He's got tons of other appearances, I hope I can get a hold of a lot of them someday.

Supposedly, Mantan Moreland was considered for the third Stooge, but wasn't because of the "times" factor as well.  On paper, it seems like he would've made a good Stooge.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline ArPharazon

Supposedly, Mantan Moreland was considered for the third Stooge, but wasn't because of the "times" factor as well.  On paper, it seems like he would've made a good Stooge.

I've never heard of Mantan, or seen him that I'm aware of.  Have you ever seen any of his work?

Seems like he has a few more appearances listed on IMDB than Dudley.

By my avatar, you can see where my preference is  [yikes2]

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I've never heard of Mantan, or seen him that I'm aware of.  Have you ever seen any of his work?

Seems like he has a few more appearances listed on IMDB than Dudley.

By my avatar, you can see where my preference is  [yikes2]

Mantan Moreland is probably most famous as Charlie Chan's chauffeur, Birmingham Brown.  He appeared in 15 of the Charlie Chan films produced by Monogram Pictures in the 1940s, usually paired with one of Charlie's younger sons (played by Benson Fong and Victor Sen Yung) as the comedy relief.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Mantan Moreland and Shemp were the comedy relief in Universal's THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. RX (1942), released on DVD last year (currently available only from TCM's website and its distribution partner Movies Unlimited). Shemp and Mantan also worked together in CRACKED NUTS (1941).

Mantan Moreland is probably most famous as Charlie Chan's chauffeur, Birmingham Brown.  He appeared in 15 of the Charlie Chan films produced by Monogram Pictures in the 1940s, usually paired with one of Charlie's younger sons (played by Benson Fong and Victor Sen Yung) as the comedy relief.

Some of the Monogram Chans are on DVD. The series' ownership was split up due to how Allied Artists (aka Mongram) packaged them for TV distribution back in the '50s. Some are owned by MGM/UA, and the rest by Warner Brothers...

- The MGM/UAs were released to DVD several years ago, are now out-of-print, but still easily found at etailers like Amazon, etc.

- Warner is just beginning to distribute their Chans, with Volume 1 of TCM Spotlight: The Charlie Chan Collection coming out on June 8.

Note - 20th Century Fox produced the Charlie Chan films in the 1930s and up into 1942. Mantan Moreland was not involved in those films... he joined the cast when the series moved to Monogram.

Offline 46kicks

Enough already Sony... Lets get it done, You're starting to piss me off !!!!!!

Offline metaldams

Enough already Sony... Lets get it done, You're starting to piss me off !!!!!!

Relax.  Drink decaf.  They'll be released.
- Doug Sarnecky