Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Least Violent?

Smaug · 15 · 2946

Offline Smaug

This is kind of a follow up thread to the MOST violent Stooges short. I have a 2 year old and a 3 year old that I am introducing to the Stooges-bits and pieces-"Swingin' the Alpabet" they love, and "Micro-Phonies" is not too violent (they love music). What other shorts can I show them without giving them too many things to imitate? (as in a hammer to my skull)
Maybe Dunrobin could post one of those "mayhem" charts, but from the 'quiet' end? Please? 
The Grandkids do love the "Tree Snooges".

Edit- Nevermind, I see I can do the mayhem sorting all by myself (slaps forehead). Just gotta pay attention, huh.
oh and the winner is Pals and Gals with only 1 eye poke reported. Don't have that one yet....

Dog Hambone

Interesting idea, Smaug. I never thought about that, being a guy who still laughs out loud when one of them gets gets hit over the head with a shovel, etc. 

I know in the later shorts, the violence got toned down 'cos the Stooges were all getting older. And the ones with Joe Besser are somewhat less violent because, as I understand it, he didn't want to take all the abuse. I'll have to think awhile to come up with some specific ones, though.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Yeah, Dog is right.  The latter shorts are less-violent.  I would definitely recommend the DeRita-era feature films such as The Three Stooges in Orbit and The Three Stooges Go Around the Wold in a Daze.  Actually, the least violent Stooges film I've ever seen is Snow White and the Three Stoogs, but it's not a typical Stooges film.  It's very much a children's fantasy film.  As for the classic Curly and Shemp two-reelers, the first title off the top of my head is Mutts to You.  That should be safe enough.  A-Plumbing We Will Go  seems relatively harmless, as well.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline archiezappa

I would highly recommend "Snow White And The Three Stooges," in this case.  It's a perfect fit for the kids.  My kids love it!  It's the Stooges, it's in color, it's in widescreen.  It's actually not that bad.  Sure, it's a departure.  But it's a good starting point for younger kids who are interested in the Stooges.  The kids will love the fairy tale and won't forget the Stooges.  I started mine with this movie and easily moved to The New Three Stooges cartoon series. 

Also, "Swing Parade" is a good one for the kids.  If they like music, that one's got plenty.  My daughter, in particular, loves "Swing Parade."  It's got Curly, too.  Any of the scenes in "Swing Parade" that were not involving the Stooges, my daughter very quickly took an interest in the wardrobe of the characters, especially Gale Storm.

Isn't it amazing just how well-rounded their film career is?

Offline locoboymakesgood

Snow White and the Three Stooges is going to put kids to sleep. I know when I was younger my dad and I watched all the Stooge movies and that one is just such a snoozer - their screen time is really minimal compared to the rest of the film and it's just not that good.

Shorts-wise, the thing is a lot of the stuff was toned down in the Besser-era, but since we don't have those on DVD yet, this is a toughie! Punch Drunks isn't too violent object wise - you got some light slaps, Larry taking a radio over the head, and Curly in a boxing match which isn't that bad. That was always my favorite short younger (and still ranks in my Top 3 of all-time).
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

Yeah, the Stooges were missing from some of the scenes in "Snow White And The Three Stooges."  I really wish they had been in the fight scenes with some pastry.  That would have really made that scene much better. 

Sometimes I wonder:  "What were they thinking?"   ???

Offline Smaug

We watched Fiddlers Three (the Stooges singing and the nursery rhymes) but it got a little too violent. I don't remember this one from my childhood, must not have been in the shorts my local station had as a kid (Detroit area- and yes i remember Sir Graves Ghastly!).
Anyhoo- Tried to watch a few (by myself) to guage the violence, but i just got caught up watching and laughing. Dang Stooges will do that to ya.....

Offline archiezappa

Why not just let them watch them?  How many shows can you find nowadays that don't have bad language, sex and drug references?

Offline Smaug

Why not just let them watch them?  How many shows can you find nowadays that don't have bad language, sex and drug references?

Uh well lots on Nick Jr.
Once they saw some of a Jackie Chan movie (a real,dubbed one, not that Hollywood crap) and i ended up with a punched nut. Ow, to say the least. Don't want them get too many pain inflicting ideas.

Offline archiezappa

Uh well lots on Nick Jr.
Once they saw some of a Jackie Chan movie (a real,dubbed one, not that Hollywood crap) and i ended up with a punched nut. Ow, to say the least. Don't want them get too many pain inflicting ideas.

Oh!  I didn't know they were actually trying to do the stuff!  Whew!  Just don't let them watch Looney Tunes, or you'll find dynamite in your house.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Hmm. Sounds to me you're not giving your kids enough credit. I started watching the Stooges when I was 1 and have religiously ever since. I've never emulated anything I saw in any of the shorts.

Nick Jr. is no more and is going to be its own higher-tier digital station later this month, so if you're going to say a show like SpongeBob (which I love) is less violent than the Stooges, I'd beg to differ.

Sorry about your one nut.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

xraffle

Hmm. Sounds to me you're not giving your kids enough credit. I started watching the Stooges when I was 1 and have religiously ever since. I've never emulated anything I saw in any of the shorts.

Oh I did! Believe me! I used to imitate their eyepokes, their slaps, and used to imitate Curly's nyuks and woos. My parents used to have a fit and would confiscate my three stooges videos until I learned to behave properly. They would repeatedly do this until I finally learn not to imitate what I watch. It's silly, I know. But fortunately, I grew up to be the complete opposite of what I used to be when I was a kid. I'm not sure if the credits goes to my parents' strict discipline or because I matured a lot overtime. It's probably due to both.

Offline Smaug

I've never emulated anything I saw in any of the shorts.

I jumped off the garage in my Superman PJs, no damage done, unless you ask my Ma.
Have 2 brothers Mike (Moe-bossy), Larry (middle brother) and then me, the fat bald kid. We WERE the three stooges, and man some of that stuff really hurt. I don't recall any triple slaps, though....
 [3stooges]

Offline Sean

I used to imitate Curly a lot when I was a young kid. At least I was imitating him rather than Moe, my mom might've gotten an eye-poke or a thrown pie [pie] lol.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Count me among those who DID emulate the Three Stooges while growing up.  Of course, I loved to immitate Curly's mannerisms, including his finger-snaps.  My mom hated that.  As for the violence, while in junior high I did perform the eye poke on a couple of unsuspecting classmates.  One poor soul named Roger Dillard took it in the eyes during our Theatre Arts class.  I remember him chasing me around the inside of the school auditorium.  Needless-to-say, I never poked anyone in the eyes ever again, except for pretend. :D
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)