Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Warner Archive adds Our Gang & Joe McDoakes volumes

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The Warner Archive today added two DVD-R sets to its catalog...

- Our Gang, a 5-disc set with all 52 of the MGM 1-reelers, 1938 - 1944, a.k.a. the Robert "Mickey Gubitosi" Blake years.

- Joe McDoakes, a 6-disc set with all 63 of the Warner Bros. 1-reelers, 1942 - 1956.

For the initial postings, Warner Archive has listed each at a discount price of $19.95. They will be cataloged at $49.95 and $59.95 respectively. The sale price will probably have a short life, so if interested, don't wait long.

(At this writing, the Our Gang volume is coming up with an error message, but it was up earlier today; hopefully the sale price will still be in effect once the listing is restored. The Archive website has been problematic since the DVD-R program was launched last April, and often frustrating to navigate... "patience" is all I can say.)

Offline metaldams

Good to know there's still plenty of classic comedy being released even though there's a supposed downturn in releasing the classics on DVD.  I still haven't bought the Roach years set, though I'll probably just ask for it as a Christmas gift.

Now if only Roach Laurel and Hardy could get a real Region 1 release, which is by far the most important release not out there.  I've heard faint rumors about fall 2010, but I'm not believing it yet.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline locoboymakesgood

Holy shit - ALL of the McDoakes shorts? I'm in!

I believe I had a thread on here about the McDoakes shorts awhile back. At $20?? That's a steal! I'm ordering now. I've been waiting for a long, long time for these. Thanks!
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline moglia

The Warner Archive today added two DVD-R sets to its catalog...

- Our Gang, a 5-disc set with all 52 of the MGM 1-reelers, 1938 - 1944, a.k.a. the Robert "Mickey Gubitosi" Blake years.

- Joe McDoakes, a 6-disc set with all 63 of the Warner Bros. 1-reelers, 1942 - 1956.

For the initial postings, Warner Archive has listed each at a discount price of $19.95. They will be cataloged at $49.95 and $59.95 respectively. The sale price will probably have a short life, so if interested, don't wait long.

(At this writing, the Our Gang volume is coming up with an error message, but it was up earlier today; hopefully the sale price will still be in effect once the listing is restored. The Archive website has been problematic since the DVD-R program was launched last April, and often frustrating to navigate... "patience" is all I can say.)

Now both give an error :(  $19.99 for all those later Our Gangs seems like a steal even if they are not much better than VHS quality

Offline locoboymakesgood

Dammit! It was in my cart but I had to wait until today to order it. I wonder what happened??

Hopefully it will go back up tonight.

Offline 2reelers

I was able to successfully place an order for the Our Gang set. Total was just under $25 with shipping for all 52 shorts. ETA is 8/27. Joe McDoakes isn't showing up for me though in the search, but that'll be my next order.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
As of Friday (8/21) afternoon, the Our Gang DVD collection is back, and still at the sale price.  I successfully pre-ordered.  Again, WB is frustrating and inconsistent with their website, so there's no telling how long this listing will remain active; or, how long the sale price will remain in place.

The McDoakes collection is inactive at this writing.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"

Offline moglia

It's up again, for now.
Our-Gang-Comedies-52-Shorts

They really need to stabilize their website. A company the size Time Warner should be embarrassed by a site that behaves in this manner.

52 shorts would mean the set goes to 1944, if it only goes to 1942 then it would be only 42 shorts. I wonder which is their typo?

Offline locoboymakesgood

Ugh. These Rascals are painful to watch so I'll be passing on that. I just want that McDoakes set - and it's still not there! Dammit.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"

I watched these shorts along with the Stooges on our local TV back in the mid 70s 6-7am,Little  Rascals/Our Gang/Three Stooges Hour and enjoyed both. (although still favored the Stooges of course)  I may pick this up at 34.99.  However I noticed in the side ads at the Warner Site , they also have for 24.99 the Dogville Shorts,  These were directed by Jules White and are very clever and funny.  I may pick up those as well but I may check Ebay and other sources for better prices if available. 

If anyone can post one of the Dogville films that I'm sure are on Youtube, please do, these are very entertaining.

Robin