Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

MTS Q&A

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I have decided to bring back a the Q&A feature to Music That Sucks. I previously had a Q&A when MTS was at one of its previous homes, but I believe it was lost along with the "missing" inductions (which I will get to in this Q&A. If you have a question about MTS that is not covered in the Q&A, feel free to ask in this thread.

How did Music That Sucks get started?

At one time on this site there was a password restricted forum called "Baby-Sitters Jitters" which was for adults only. In order to generate traffic/interest I tried to think of recurring features for BSJ that would serve as an excuse to keep BSJ running. The first of these was called "Disturbing Photo of the Month" in which I would scour the web to find a disgusting or odd photo to post every month (an overgrown cancerous breast tumor, a photo of John Lennon just before he was cremated, a KKK baseball team). The feature had moderate success, and I wanted something that I could work on more frequently. I thought about the time I worked the overnight shift at a K-Mart in central Florida and how the "K-Mart Radio Network" (the music you hear playing in the background) would come in loud and clear when there were no customers and they always played the same music day after day. One song that got stuck in my head for a good three weeks or so was "Stuck With You" by Huey Lewis and the News. I then decided I would run a feature in which I would rant about horrible music, which would give me a neverending supply of source material. That is how MTS was born.

Why is (insert inductee here) inducted into MTS? I think they rock!
or Why haven't you inducted (insert group or singer) into MTS? I think they suck!

MTS is not about a democracy where the majority opinion (supposedly) rules. It's more of a dictatorship. The only person who has to think that they suck is me. If I induct someone that I don't personally hate (Neil Young, for instance), it will show in my writing and not turn out very well.

Another reason a particular act might not be inducted is because I have not gotten to them yet. With so much sucky music having been made over the years it makes for a neverending queque. Please refer to the Suggestions thread and the Induction Index to find out if the act you feel is worthy of induction has either already been inducted previously or will be inducted in the future. Feel free to leave a suggestion if you cannot find the act you are thinking of; I try to respond to every suggestion.

Why are the acts you write called "inductees"?

I refer to them as "inductees" as a knock on the joke that is known as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Why not call it "Rock and Roll Hall of Shame" or something like that?

Rock and Roll Hall of Shame is a lame-assed pun that I'm sure a million others have used before.

With your inductions on entire genres (or subgenres) how can you paint a group of acts with one broad stroke?

The genre inductions are few and far between (I think I only have two or three total so far out of 38 inductions at the time I am typing this). There are certain genres that I generally don't listen to that often, such as Country, that for the most part I don't like. However, there are a very small number of country acts that I listen to (Johnny Cash), so Country music as a whole will never get inducted. With the limited number of genres inducted I have found that there is not one iota of good music within said genre.

What's up with the "missing" inductions?

When Rob started a website called alltheworldsastooge.com (don't bother, it's gone now and will just bring you back here) he asked if I wanted to bring MTS over there where it could have it's own forum. I jumped at the chance to have my work read by more people; unfortunately there was some sort of malfunction that resulted in the loss of all of the posts over there at one point. Most of the MTS inductions were recovered, except for the most recent ones. Those are the ones I am referring to when I mention the "missing" or "lost" inductions. It is my intention to one day redo those inductions, and I've already redone one of them (MTS #19: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band The Movie).

What is meant by "Clit Rock"?

I cannot take credit for coining the term "Clit Rock"; that goes to Bruckman. He used it in a reply to one of the inductions, I fell in love with it and have kept it eversince. Clit Rock has become a very broad term: it usually refers to music performed by men (in rare cases however, it can be performed by women) that is either overtly wimpy and sensitive, or has a false pretense of being harder and more ballsier than it actually is. Some people may find the term derogatory or sexist, but don't give a fuck if they do.

That reminds me: why do you curse so much?

Ahhh, the great swear debate. That's just my style of writing, especially when I am as passionate about something as I am music. Swear words can actually be very powerful, emotive tools that cut to the chase very quickly. If I were to write about how much I like John Lennon or Jimi Hendrix I would not swear at all. If you don't like the swearing or it offends you, I really don't give a shit.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 09:25:59 AM by shemps#1 »
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Jim, just want to compliment you on MTS.  There are some groups (VAN HALEN, LYNYRD SKYNYRD, KISS, GENESIS, PAUL MCCARTNEY), that I feel don't belong in MTS (though all 5 artists have sucky parts of their career, and for GENESIS, it's just about anything post-Peter Gabriel), but even when they're artists I like, I am at least entertained by your writing.  The other artists, I pretty much agree 100%.  Keep up the good work.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Thanks Doug, that means alot to me. We all need the occasional ego stroke.

That is my intention with MTS; to entertain the reader even if they do disagree with me. It is not my intention to offend anyone, although when you are opinionated that is bound to happen (it has actually only happened once as far as I know, and I think we all know who the offended party was).

If you'll excuse me, I've got to work on the Jackson Browne redo.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline ZEKE

• Grapehead
I really dig this M.T.S vein of humor. Also that mod. Shemps is a stalwart in that he/you
prefer literacy, posting etiquette and spelling/composition accuracy.
 You and all are doing a great job on this site. For those out there who disagree, check out some of the other lame unpro. STOOGE sites and see for yourselves.  >:D
ZEKE---in AJAX-(G.T.A.), Canada.

Offline SugarBee19

• Porcupine

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
No, he had only one hit. All future induction inquires should go in the suggestions thread.

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir:

I think this site of yours is really awesome.  I am and never will be a fan of this modern, Sh-ty rock music.  I am not real big on the names of thes groups but a few that come to my mind that suck are eemenem Iced Tea Big Doggie and all of their relatives.

I am an Advide died in the wool fan of country music ranging from the late 1900's through as far as I will go late 1940's.  Some of my favourites from then naming my top five:  Gid Tanner, John Dilleshaw, Earl Johnson, Da Costa Woltz, Hershel Brown.  This goes to show that the music of today to me sucks and please keep this site going it is really poifect.

Thank You

Moron4392 [pie] 

Offline screwball

• Porcupine
You sure are right.Most, if not all music today sucks,BUT THE WORST OF ALL IS THIS SO-CALLED SHIT YOU CALL COUNTRY.C'mon now.Get a  clue.My God. What is wrong with people
the dastardly1

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Hey Screwball:

From what I can tell you do not like modern so called country music either.  I prefer the classic country from the 1920's through the mid 40's.  If you do not mind me asking what is your preference in music?

Diane Hoekstra

Moron4392

Moron4392@sbcglobal.net

Have a great New Year you and your family. [3stooges]
 [pie]

Offline screwball

• Porcupine
I'm having trouble with my computer or I would have answered sooner.My preference in music is rock.Led Zepplin,Lynyrd Skynrd etc. to Alice in chains to Rage against the machine to sometimes softer tunes.I even listen to LITTLE HANK JR.
the dastardly1

moe-jo

Offline vomit

• Puddinhead
  • Shemp RULES!
Any chance of a revival of MTS?  This is good stuff.
Specto Caelum!

Offline Squirrelbait

• Puddinhead
Any chance of a revival of MTS?  This is good stuff.

Saw this, and I thought of 'Music That Sucks' right away. Enjoy!

http://www.mandatory.com/2014/02/26/if-you-like-any-of-these-songs-you-are-a-total-asshole/
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline vomit

• Puddinhead
  • Shemp RULES!
Saw this, and I thought of 'Music That Sucks' right away. Enjoy!

http://www.mandatory.com/2014/02/26/if-you-like-any-of-these-songs-you-are-a-total-asshole/

Yep.  Saw that too.  And thought of MTS!  Still waiting for the revival.....the internet seems a little dead lately...
Specto Caelum!