Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ted Healy

Offline leandar

Hi.  Newbie here.  I was just wondering something after re-watching the Stooges Biography.  Has there any information anywhere ever come out about the real circumstances involving the death of Ted Healy?  Has any more info. come to light other than he was in a barroom brawl and then found dead in his hotel the next day?  Thanks.

Offline kinderscenen

Depending on what book you read, he either died as a result of a sound pummeling from college students (Moe's autobiography, The 3 Stooges Scrapbook and others), or by the hands of Wallace Beery and Co. (The Forrester Bros. book). While the latter book is certainly open to conjecture (I'll button mine!), it does make sense. What doesn't make sense is why Healy isn't rushed to the hospital sooner. And also, we're still uncertain about WHY the argument started in the first place.
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline Baggie

I thought it was to do with kidney failure from both the beating and the alcohol, and that he died at home while his sister Marcia was trying to care for him. Apparantly on the night he got beaten up he phoned Shemp and others and told him that Wallace Beery did it, but yes, different books say different stuff.

Just thought I'd say something towards the discussion, cheers dudes
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline Robbie883

I hear from a source i dont remember to well, that MGM officals beat him down then he died in a back alley afterwards. But then again, who knows. That would be some nice information to know.

Offline shempheadbat

i didn't do it!  but i would bet that it was healy's big mouth combined with a mint julep or three (or mebbe it was wild hyacinth??)that led to the fisticuffs... sad and ironic, there was a guy made his living battin' people around for laffs, ya know?