Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Volume 6 Comparison Screenshots

Guest · 19 · 6850

xraffle

Here are the “fan requested” screenshots. Keep in mind, I didn’t do any alterations on these. I just captured them and uploaded them.

Click any screenshot to view at a larger size.

The Ghost Talks
"Spook Louder" DVD
Volume 6 DVD

Fuelin’ Around
VHS Release
Volume 6 DVD

Three Hams on Rye
Goodtimes VHS Release
Volume 6 DVD

Studio Stoops
VHS release
Volume 6 DVD

Baby Sitters Jitters
Goodtimes VHS release
Volume 6 DVD

Hugs and Mugs
Bootleg DVD Set
Volume 6 DVD

Love At First Bite
Goodtimes VHS Release
Volume 6 DVD

Self Made Maids
Bootleg DVD Set
Volume 6 DVD

Slaphappy Sleuths
Bootleg DVD Set
Volume 6 DVD

Don't Throw That Knife
Goodtimes VHS release
Volume 6 DVD

Offline falsealarms

That Baby Sitters Jitters one might be the biggest difference of all the shorts so far.

Offline luke795

I would like to see comparison screenshots from Hugs And Mugs, Love At First Bite, Self Made Maids, Slaphappy Sleuths, and Don't Throw That Knife.

xraffle

I would like to see comparison screenshots from Hugs And Mugs, Love At First Bite, Self Made Maids, Slaphappy Sleuths, and Don't Throw That Knife.

I just added the screenshots.

chad2411

Wow, on "Slaphappy Sleuths",  with a little zoom Larry's hat reads "Onion Oil Co.

xraffle

I actually didn't realize how dark "Love At First Bite" was on the Goodtimes video until now. I originally thought that short looked pretty good when I first watched that VHS tape. Now, I know better. ;D

I captured those shots and uploaded them at a higher resolution, but I downscaled them in the post, so I can easily put them side by side. I should find a way to make the pictures clickable so you can view them at a larger size.

EDIT- Wow, I'm smart. I found out how. Now, I just made each picture clickable. Click any picture to view them at a larger size. Enjoy!

Offline Justin T

WOW, what a difference! I haven't watched my Goodtimes VHS stuff in ages so seeing the improvement
on Three Hams on Rye, Love at First Bite and Dont' Throw That Knife is amazing.

Studio Stoops was another joy, the version on VHS looked so old and worn.

Thank god for these new DVD sets!
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline dimelives

It's always crazy seeing the change in sharpness and contrasts. Just nuts. Thanks!

Offline FineBari3

I enjoy seeing little details in the foreground and background, and also in the costumes. I think we are noticing things we never saw before because of the fantastic restoration job.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline falsealarms

xraffle

Whoops! For those of you who thought there was no difference between the two screenshots of "Three Hams on Rye," that's because there wasn't, LOL. I copied the Goodtimes VHS picture twice. It's fixed now.

Offline luke795

If you could I would like to see a comparison screenshot of Malice in the Palace.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Very cool!  The clarity is amazing..

That's the understatement of the year.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline locoboymakesgood

If you could I would like to see a comparison screenshot of Malice in the Palace.
It's impossible to do that since there have been 100s of releases of Malice in the Palace in one way shape or form since the 80s.

These screen shot comparisons are insane though.

The new set in November will be hard to do though since I believe most of them have never been released on any medium of home video. I'm in the minority that really enjoys some of the remakes.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The new set in November will be hard to do though since I believe most of them have never been released on any medium of home video.

Most from the 1952 - 1954 set, but there are still enough to make it interesting...

- 3 have been on past Sony/Columbia DVD collections, and those 3, plus 5 more are on Sony/Columbia VHS.

- There are six shorts on GoodTimes' 5-volume "Three Stooges Collection" that have yet to be on a Sony/Columbia product. Any comparisons there would be the difference between black and white, since the GoodTimes tapes were from dupe 16mm Screen Gems prints, and recorded in LP speed.

Offline archiezappa

The differences are amazing!  Thanks for doing that.   ;)

Interesting that you also compared some of the bootleg ones, too.  I'm still thrilled that we actually have these.   :D

Offline curlysdame

I know pretty much everybody's said it at this point, but I just can't get over how dark some of those VHS releases are.  'Baby Sitters Jitters' and 'Love At First Bite,' especially. Thanks for cleaning these up, Sony!   [clap]
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)