The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Music That Sucks...But You Like It Anyway

shemps#1 · 56 · 21444

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
For this MTS Special I want to hear from you guys. Everyone has certain music acts that for one reason or another they are embarrassed to admit that they actually like. It could that you know that they suck but there is a certain "je ne sais qua" that gets you to go out and buy their music (or illegally download, whatever the case may be). Perhaps they act is universally clowned by the masses and you keep this musical skeleton in your closet out of fear of being made fun of. Shit, maybe this music is so far from what you usually listen to that people who know you would scratch their heads and ask "are you serious?" if you told them.

So let me know, what is your dirty little musical secret? If you tell me yours I'll tell you mine.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

Shit, maybe this music is so far from what you usually listen to that people who know you would scratch their heads and ask "are you serious?" if you told them.

So let me know, what is your dirty little musical secret? If you tell me yours I'll tell you mine.

Elton John. I like a lot of his songs, but many people say to me: "Are you serious? That guy is gay!"

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
(gathers up strength) (tries to be nonchalant)

The Captain & Tennille
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline OldFred

• Chucklehead
This has been named as one of the worst songs ever, but I think it's kind of sweet and still a fan favorite among Bobby Goldsboro fans. The video is certainly funny.  ;D

Bobby Goldsboro 'Honey'

[youtube=425,350]I7Un6yd986c[/youtube]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 09:45:02 PM by shemps#1 »

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Hair metal.  Put on "Round and Round" from Ratt and I'm in Heaven.  I dance to Bon Jovi at weddings.  I have Warrant and Poison greatest hits album.  I saw Twisted Sister in concert.  Yes, I intellectually know most of it is crap, but it was really the first music i was exposed to for better or worse, and the videos were the first time I noticed women.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Elton John. I like a lot of his songs, but many people say to me: "Are you serious? That guy is gay!"

I like Elton John's early stuff, no guilt necessary.  Tons of musical artists were gay, it means nothing.  Heck, Tchaikhovsky was gay.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
X: I have to second Doug, Elton John's early stuff is comparable to almost anyone else's canon. He and Taupin had a chemistry when it came to creating great music, whether rocking or ballad. He also had a wonderful voice in his youth. His later stuff saddens me though.

Fred: Why Captain and Tennille? Yours has to be the "best" admission so far.

Other Fred: The one thing that irks me about "Honey" is the "non-definitive" ending fade out that was a lot more common back then. Although I don't really care for the song calling it one of the worst is harsh.

Doug: You already know my stance on hair metal so I need not elaborate.

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline OldFred

• Chucklehead

Other Fred: The one thing that irks me about "Honey" is the "non-definitive" ending fade out that was a lot more common back then. Although I don't really care for the song calling it one of the worst is harsh.

Oh, I didn't say it was one of the worst songs ever. I said that it's been named one of the worst songs ever. I personally like it myself, it has a nice melancholy quality to it. And like I mentioned, it is a favorite with the Bobby Goldsboro fans.

xraffle

I like Elton John's early stuff, no guilt necessary. 

X: I have to second Doug, Elton John's early stuff is comparable to almost anyone else's canon. He and Taupin had a chemistry when it came to creating great music, whether rocking or ballad. He also had a wonderful voice in his youth. His later stuff saddens me though.

Wow! I wasn't expecting those responses. I got made fun of in high school because I made the mistake of telling a couple of people that I listen to his music. Not sure how early is early, but I like his 70s and 80s songs a lot and just a small portion of his 90s stuff.

Offline vomit

• Puddinhead
  • Shemp RULES!
Captain & Tenille????  LOL!!  That takes true cojones to admit.......Elton John?  GAY!!!!  My wife bought tix for us to see him in Vegas.....I did my best to get out of it.....didn't work.  I do NOT like him.  As talented as he is, I just do not like his brand of music.  He put on a good show (not great....too many effects, etc.) and he truly came across as a whiny little bitch.

My own bad musical taste?  I like a lot of 80s bad Hair-metal bands: Helix, Icon, Kix.....and so on.  Although, nowadays I don't listen to them anymore, I did enjoy them once upon a time....what was I thinking?
Specto Caelum!

Offline archiezappa

• Numbskull
I also like The Captain & Tennille.  Yes, it's a guilty pleasure.  I also like The Partridge Family.  I have all of their studio albums on CD.   [bonk] 

I also have a few records by Bobby Sherman.   [smack]

Yeah, so much for my musical integrity now.   [doh]

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
I'm listening to THE WHO SELL OUT as I type this, no guilt there. ;D

We need a music that rocks section.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

• Numbskull
I'm listening to THE WHO SELL OUT as I type this, no guilt there. ;D

We need a music that rocks section.

Yes!  I totally agree.  In fact, I was thinking about that very thing the other day.  Music That Sucks serves a purpose, but it's all negative.  If we have a board that has Music That Rocks, it will be very positive.  Instead of guilty pleasures, we can post music that we're not afraid to tell the world that we know it's awesome.  I think that would be a great idea.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

xraffle

I have to agree with Doug and archiezappa. While some people may not like the idea of a Music That Rocks section, I think it's a great idea. It'll be a good to hear why exactly someone likes that certain type of music. Maybe pick an artist that very few people like and tell us why exactly you're into that kind of music. Not a bad idea at all.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It's not that I am against a "music that rocks" section, but what I am against is the whining about "negativity" and the bellyaching about a "need for positivity". MTS works because I am a pretty decent writer writing about subjects that interest me, and I don't think most of the people could write about their favorite music acts without putting the reader to sleep. Believe it or not a lot of work goes into each MTS induction (which is why they have become more infrequent over the years) and a whole section of people saying "I like so-and-so" sounds very boring to me especially when most people do not have the chops to make it compelling.

If the "music that rocks" would be nothing but information well I can easily search for that information on websites devoted the groups or music websites in general. I also highly doubt most of the people here would be able to inject genuine humor into a subject they are trying to pay homage to. Take for instance Old Fred's treatise on The Monkees. He wrote it as a rebuttal to my MTS induction and quite frankly bored me to tears to the point where I couldn't get halfway through it (I hate to pick on him but his the only example I came up with).

The greatest compliments I have gotten in regards to MTS are the ones where the readers disagreed with me but enjoyed the article anyway.

Offline OldFred

• Chucklehead
To each his own, Sir. I was just trying to correct some inaccuracies I perceived in the original Monkees post. Don't want to turn this into a flame, so let's just leave it thus, OK?  ;)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yeah, I forgot to mention the Monkees were musical gods.  ::)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
<Psst, no one tell Fred I'm just teasing him>

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
<Psst, no one tell Fred I'm just teasing him>

Your secret's safe with me.   ;)
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline OldFred

• Chucklehead

xraffle

If written properly, a Music That Rocks thread would be pretty good. What interested me about Music That Sucks is that there were certain things I disagreed with, but at the same time, I found it interesting to read why exactly you hated that type of music. Music That Rocks could be the flip side. Someone can post a music they like but I hate and I get to read why they like that music, which I find to be horrible. One artist that comes to mind is Prince. I'm dying to know why people like songs like "When Doves Cry" and whatnot. Of course, it has to be written properly. A simple history of the artist/group is not going to work.

There was nothing wrong with Fred's Monkees post, per se. The main problem I had with it was: it was too long and it prevented me from even reading it. I'm sure a lot of effort was put into that post and I appreciate Fred's hard work to defend the group. I'm sure it was a good post and I'm sure people who read it enjoyed it, but I'm the kind of person that judges a book by its cover. So, that's what caused me to turn away from it and not even read it.

Music That Rocks can work, but some serious work has to be put into it to make it interesting.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Personally, I don't think that a "Music That Rocks" board would work all that well.  What makes the Music That Sucks board so good is Jim's biting humor and colorful turn of phrase (to put it mildly.)  For me it's not so much what Jim hates as the way he expresses his disdain for the subject of his review.  You just can't get the same effect with a positive review.   ;)

Offline OldFred

• Chucklehead
I'd just like to re-clarify something which I believe I've mentioned before. I know two of the Monkees, Peter and Davy, and have worked with the group and Davy on some book projects, as well as being the MC on the early 1980's Monkees conventions. So, I do have a bit of a history with the group. I also have great concerns for Peter in his cancer battle. He's getting his treatments and keeping to a performing schedule and showing a very brave face despite what he's going through which I greatly admire.

And I do find the Monkees/Stooges connection fascinating in that they both worked for Columbia Pictures and the majority of the Monkees episodes were shot on the same sets used by the Stooges. They even shared the same cinematographer, Irving Lippman, who also worked with Micky Dolenz on 'Circus Boy' in the 1950's.

I do beg everyone's pardon.

xraffle

I guess it's ok if you don't think it'll work. I just thought Metaldams and Archiezappa had a pretty good idea there. Like I said, it "can" work if serious work is put into making it interesting. It doesn't exactly have to contain "biting humor" or whatever else MTS had. There are other ways to make it interesting. It was a good idea, while it lasted. Just my two cents.