Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Marx Brothers - blind buy?

Offline falsealarms

A few months ago, people here recommended the Columbia Keaton set. I went ahead and bought it and generally really liked it. A few clunkers, but the better ones on there stand with most Stooge shorts.

Would anyone recommend a blind buy of this? http://www.amazon.com/Marx-Brothers-Silver-Screen-Collection/dp/B0002MHDYW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1245962642&sr=8-3

My exposure to the Marx Brothers is rather limited, but these seem to be regarded as most of their best films. 60% off doesn't hurt either.

Offline metaldams

xraffle

One word - Yes

You see, there's something we agree on.

Yes, that set is definitely worth the $24.99. Hmm, now I'm wondering whether I should buy it or not. But darn it, I'm a penny away from getting Free Shipping. I actually have these already. I transferred my VHS tapes to DVD+Rs. The quality is ok, but I can imagine that this set is better. I have to ponder on this, but I have to think fast because Amazon may raise the price before I know it as I've never seen this set this cheap before.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Without a second thought, yes. These are universally considered their best comedies. The other boxset (the green box put out by Warner - on sale for $23.99 as of this post) has the rest of what's left, the only two worthwhile being A Night at the Opera and A Day at The Races. This Universal box has all of their Paramount films which are just brilliant.

This still retails for $50 at Costco, so I'd say jump on it.

Also x, if you want to get that free shipping, try this site:

http://www.filleritem.com/

I use that if there's something for $24.99 or something and I don't want to pay the $4 bucks.

Order it. I know you guys won't regret it.

Also, another suggestion aside, they also have the WC Fields Collection Vol. 2 on sale fore $23.99 which has some real classics in there.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I've been thinking about picking up this set as well, mainly because all of my Marx Brothers movies are on VHS, but in looking over the customer reviews it sounds as though nothing has been done to restore the films like Sony has been doing with the Stooges:

Restoration? Well, Universal never used that word in their description, and they certainly didn't do it.
The choppy splices are still there in several movies.
The missing footage is still NOT there.
Some reels are still out of focus.
Some reels are still many generations away from the original negative and look very contrasty.
Some reels still have a bouncy picture (warped negative).
About 75% of the time the films do look good.

This really looks like a quick patch-together box set by Universal (Owned by NBC, that is why their Today Show clips are used) to keep up with the competition (WB's DVD Box Set).

BUT, if you never got the previously released DVDs or Laserdiscs, then this is a Must-Get box set!

Now I will heap on some gripes of my own. First, there's just over six hours of material spread over six DVDs. You do the math--they're obviously NOT TRYING VERY HARD here. They could have easily fit this all on 3 discs, or fewer. It's not like there's a COMMENTARY TRACK or even a RESTORED PRINT that would make each film worthy of its own disc. Universal did the BARE MINIMUM knowing that real fans would buy these crappy prints anyway, and will pay again if they release restored and augmented versions later.

Because of the price Amazon is offering it at I'd say it's worth buying the set, especially if you don't have the movies yet, but be forewarned.   ;)

xraffle

Also x, if you want to get that free shipping, try this site:

http://www.filleritem.com/

I use that if there's something for $24.99 or something and I don't want to pay the $4 bucks.

Order it. I know you guys won't regret it.

I tried that and they're all junk on the list. If I pay shipping, the total amount (including tax) is going to be $30 and change. Now, that's a big difference. I hate that they tax me also on the $3 shipping. How stupid!

I'm still actively looking for something I can add along with that set so I can get free shipping. Once I find something, I'll bet Amazon's price of the set will increase.

Offline falsealarms

I went ahead and gave it a whirl. $30 is still about $15 cheaper than you'll find it elsewhere online and as much as $30 cheaper than you'd find it in stores. I saw it in B&N and FYE for $59.95.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I tried that and they're all junk on the list. If I pay shipping, the total amount (including tax) is going to be $30 and change. Now, that's a big difference. I hate that they tax me also on the $3 shipping. How stupid!

I'm still actively looking for something I can add along with that set so I can get free shipping. Once I find something, I'll bet Amazon's price of the set will increase.
That's the point of the itemfiller, x.. it's not so you can find another cheap movie, it's cheap crap that will put you over the $25 limit to get the free shipping.

I'd rather pay 54 cents for a SpongeBob coloring book than buying another movie just to qualify.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline FineBari3

I talked about this exact same set about a week ago, but Lord knows where on this site!

I got that Silver Screen set about 3 years ago from Columbia House, when they were having a huge sale. I got it for about the same price as you, but I cannot remember exactly.

These films are not restored! The Cocoanuts is the worst, with probably two reels that look blown up from 16 mm.

Still worth it at a cheap price, IMHO. I'd buy a real restored set in an instant, though. I was disappointed.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline falsealarms

I guess not being restored does at least give them a vintage feel to them.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Junk? According to the list you can choose between two different pieces of gay male vampire erotica for $.99 and you're good to go! I'm leaning towards The Lust Of A Vampire II myself, I hope it's as compelling as the first one.

Seriously if you really want to get the set with free shipping just get the $.42 wallplate and call it a day. You save on shipping and have an spare wallplate just in case.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

Junk? According to the list you can choose between two different pieces of gay male vampire erotica for $.99 and you're good to go! I'm leaning towards The Lust Of A Vampire II myself, I hope it's as compelling as the first one.

I already have The Lust Of A Vampire I and II. They're really good. As a matter of fact, I just finished reading the second one the other day. Excellent book! I especially like the part where... Oh my goodness! What am I saying? Am I giving out too much information? :-[

Seriously if you really want to get the set with free shipping just get the $.42 wallplate and call it a day. You save on shipping and have an spare wallplate just in case.

I don't know why that wallplate is listed there but it's not 42 cents. It's actually $2.03.

xraffle

OK, I just bought it along with a $12.99 movie, which I actually like. The total was $41.16, but what the hey! I got free shipping and bought a movie I was planning to buy at Best Buy anyway for the same price. I really want this set because my VHS to DVD transfers aren't the best and I'm sure this DVD set delivers a sharper picture. Also, the movies are captioned in this set, as opposed to the VHS copies. This will help me understand the clipped dialogues in "Horse Feathers" during the scene in Connie Bailey's room. I'm aware of the lack of restoration, but it's fine with me. To be honest, I think "The Cocoanuts" and "Horse Feathers" are in pretty beat up shape that restoration is pretty much hopeless. The other three movies could use a little cleaning up though.

One thing that really puzzles me is why Universal made this a 6 disc set? "Duck Soup" is 1 hour and 8 minutes and "Horse Feathers" is 1 hour and 7 minutes and each have their own disc. And 6th disc, which is the special features disc, is only 20 minutes in length, I heard. This doesn't make sense. This could've easily been a 3 disc set.

xraffle

Whoa! I'm so glad I ordered this already. The set is now $45.99.

Offline falsealarms

Whoa! I'm so glad I ordered this already. The set is now $45.99.

I was just about to say... glad I got in for 23.99. 45.99 is comparable to other online prices for this set.

I am hoping mine comes tomorrow.

xraffle

I am hoping mine comes tomorrow.

Mine is not even shipping soon yet. The shipping estimate on mine is July 2nd.

Offline falsealarms

These sets were selling well at 24.99 -- last week, they were temporarily out of stock. I went with standard shipping as opposed to the free.

Offline archiezappa

I bought this set when it first came out.  The quality of the Marx Brothers comedy far outweighs any picture and sound problems.  These are their best films, no question about that.  However, after watching the new sets of The Three Stooges, it's obvious that something should be done in restoration of these great movies.  They soitenly deserve it. 

But I'm happy with the box set itself.  Granted, it's not perfect, but it is The Four Marx Brothers.

I have the other Marx Brothers set, too.  It's totally awesome.  However, you don't get all their starring features with these two sets.  "Love Happy" is only available as a separate single disc.  So, I had to buy 3 items to get all of the Marx Brothers' feature films.  But that's okay.  It's a great body of work.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

LOL!  I guess it's the result of people getting "instant gratification."  I would have said that something shipping in three days was "soon."  Come to think of it, though, I can't remember the last time that I heard the phrase "allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery."   ;D

xraffle

LOL!  I guess it's the result of people getting "instant gratification."  I would have said that something shipping in three days was "soon."  Come to think of it, though, I can't remember the last time that I heard the phrase "allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery."   ;D

Whoa! I just arrived home from work and got an email saying it was shipped. It must've been "shipping soon" this morning and then shipped in the afternoon. But still, Amazon usually takes about 24 hours to ship it when my order is shipping soon. Lately, Amazon has been impressing me.

Offline falsealarms

Early impressions (I've watched Cocoanuts and Animal Crackers) -

These films grade out as just decent for me. There are several funny lines and bits, especially from Groucho and Harpo. Each film definitely has its moments. On the downside, the pacing can get slow and the song/dance numbers are momentum killers. Those song/dance numbers from that era almost never hold up for me and become more of a drag than anything else. These two movies don't hold up as well as the Stooges stuff does -- even though they are from roughly the same time period, these seem much more dated than the Stooges do. The supporting cast is weak -- the supporting cast in these films are nowhere near as good as the ones from the Stooges' films.

I still have to watch Monkey Business, Horse Feathers and Duck Soup.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

These films grade out as just decent for me. There are several funny lines and bits, especially from Groucho and Harpo. Each film definitely has its moments. On the downside, the pacing can get slow and the song/dance numbers are momentum killers. Those song/dance numbers from that era almost never hold up for me and become more of a drag than anything else. These two movies don't hold up as well as the Stooges stuff does -- even though they are from roughly the same time period, these seem much more dated than the Stooges do. The supporting cast is weak -- the supporting cast in these films are nowhere near as good as the ones from the Stooges' films.

COCOANUTS and ANIMAL CRACKERS were straight adaptations of the Marxes' Broadway hits. They weren't staged as motion pictures, and that constitutes most of their roughness. The two filmed at Paramount's film facility on Long Island... in fact, while the Marxes were filming COCOANUTS in the day, they were on Broadway at night, performing ANIMAL CRACKERS.

MONKEY BUSINESS, HORSE FEATHERS and DUCK SOUP were planned and produced as motion pictures, filmed in Los Angeles at Paramount Studios. They represent the brothers at their anarchic finest.

Offline metaldams

First off, agree with Brent.  The Marx Paramount films can be split into two groups: the first two films and the last three, and Brent stated some of the reasons above.

Also bear in mind the first two are incredibly early talkies.  1929 was a major transitional year for Hollywood and very few good movies were released as a result.  With the pre-code years, there are amazing differences year to year from say, 1929 - 1931 or '32.  It's true those early Marx films are more stage bound because they are based on stage plays, but Hollywood in general was stage bound in those years.  It was tough to find ways to move the camera without those gosh darn boom mics being too far away.

I do like the first two Marx films and am fascinated by the era they were made, limitations and all.  The last three have more of a Hollywood feel and should go down easier.  As for the musical numbers, the ones that involve the Marx Brothers are great and part of the charm of those movies.  "Captain Spaulding," "I'm Against It," "We're Going To War," etc. are all great. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Also bear in mind the first two are incredibly early talkies.  1929 was a major transitional year for Hollywood and very few good movies were released as a result.  With the pre-code years, there are amazing differences year to year from say, 1929 - 1931 or '32.  It's true those early Marx films are more stage bound because they are based on stage plays, but Hollywood in general was stage bound in those years.  It was tough to find ways to move the camera without those gosh darn boom mics being too far away.

A great read on this topic (bringing us back to a Stooge-link) is Ed Bernds' Mr. Bernds Goes to Hollywood. He goes into great detail, while keeping it interesting, about his earliest Hollywood sound engineer years... first at UA, during the transition of silent to sound... and then his move to Columbia, as sound technology improvised/grew/improved/revolutionized, all while Harry Cohn fought to make poverty-row Columbia a contender in the film industry.

Offline falsealarms

I just finished Monkey Business and it was a substantial improvement. The pacing and the flow of the movie was much better. The plot was executed better. The supporting cast was miles better than the first two "films," especially Tom Kennedy ("Spooks"). I thoroughly enjoyed this one after being lukewarm at best on the first two. I'm hoping the final two are as good as this one. This one had me from the get-go with the hiding in the barrels bit. Very few bad moments in this one and a great ending in the barn.

Highlights:

- Harpo and the puppet show
- The ending barn scenes
- The barber shop scenes where they trim the guy's mustache
- Harpo attacking the guy with the "frog" in his throat
- Maurice Chevalier imitations at the passport line