Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Marx Brothers

Offline archiezappa

Are there any other Marx Brothers fans here, besides me?  I've always liked their movies.  I love this site, which is devoted to every film appearance of The Three Stooges.  I just wish someone out there would do a site like this for the Marx Brothers.  That would be cool.  I know there are sites out there, but there are none like this one for any other comedy team.  This site rocks!  I continue to explore the different features on it.  I love all the information concerning the various actors and crew that worked on every single film that had a Stooge anywhere in it.

If only we had a site like this for the Marx Brothers.  (Or, for that matter, Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello, Martin & Lewis, etc.)

Just wishing...  [pie]

Offline FineBari3

Sure! Marx Brothers fan here!

I know there are lots of Marx Brothers fans on this site, and also in the Fan Club. I always hear people quoting or doing routines at the meetings.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

xraffle

Are there any other Marx Brothers fans here, besides me?  I've always liked their movies.  I love this site, which is devoted to every film appearance of The Three Stooges.  I just wish someone out there would do a site like this for the Marx Brothers. 

I'm a Marx Brothers fan. I believe Dunrobin is working on a site.

Offline metaldams

I like the Marx Brothers, more so the Paramount stuff.  The MGM films all have moments worth watching, though.

My favorite talkie comedian contemporary to The Three Stooges is W.C. Fields.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I'm a Marx Brothers fan. I believe Dunrobin is working on a site.

Yes, I am.  Actually, I'm sort of simultaneously building the new Marx Brothers site and re-writing ThreeStooges.net from scratch at the same time, since I can utilize the same code for both sites most of the time.  (I'm also using the same framework to rebuild my intranet site at the hospital, so I am able to use what I learn there on the two public fan sites.)

It's a good amount of work, but fun too since I'm learning new tricks.  I hope to launch both sites sometime this fall.   [cool]

Offline archiezappa

Yes, I am.  Actually, I'm sort of simultaneously building the new Marx Brothers site and re-writing ThreeStooges.net from scratch at the same time, since I can utilize the same code for both sites most of the time.  (I'm also using the same framework to rebuild my intranet site at the hospital, so I am able to use what I learn there on the two public fan sites.)

It's a good amount of work, but fun too since I'm learning new tricks.  I hope to launch both sites sometime this fall.   [cool]

Awesome!  I can't wait to see the new sites.  One question, though.  Will you have links that link actors who appeared in films with both the Three Stooges and the Marx Brothers?  You know, something that would tie the two sites together.  Like, if a particular actor was in a Three Stooges film, you could also have a link that shows which Marx Brothers film they were in, also.  Just a thought.

Offline archiezappa

It's cool to know that there are some Marx Brothers fans here, too.  I have both of the DVD box sets, the Paramount one and the MGM one.  I also have Love Happy as a single disc.  Those are both great sets of movies.   [cool]

Offline OldFred

Definitely a Marx Brothers fan. I've had the pleasure of playing Groucho on stage. I've posted this video before, but I guess it's appropriate for this thread. I'm the second Groucho that enters the scene.

Offline FineBari3

It's cool to know that there are some Marx Brothers fans here, too.  I have both of the DVD box sets, the Paramount one and the MGM one.  I also have Love Happy as a single disc.  Those are both great sets of movies.   [cool]

Have they restored the Paramount set yet?

I got it real cheap, but I was disappointed that nothing was restored. The Cocoanuts had parts that looked blown up from 16mm.
Mar-Jean Zamperini

xraffle

I got it real cheap, but I was disappointed that nothing was restored. The Cocoanuts had parts that looked blown up from 16mm.

Lucky you. Everywhere I look, whether it be Amazon or Ebay, have the set for a least $45.

Offline casey0272

I'm a Marx Brother's fan!  With all the garbage on television now, I'm reverting back to my childhood with all the old great stuff.  First, I have to get all the Stooge DVDs.

Offline archiezappa

Yeah, the Paramount set is a little steep in the price.  I remember when I got the Marx Brothers sets, I bought them at MovieStop in Huntsville, Alabama.  For $100, I got "The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection" (Paramount), "The Marx Brothers Collection" (MGM), and "The Dukes Of Hazzard Season 3."  This was back in 2005, when all that stuff first came out.  Great sets.  The MGM set was the best, since it had restored prints, documentaries, commentaries and bonus shorts.  The Paramount set had a couple of theatrical trailers and three television appearances.  The prints could have been better, I think.  Well, I'm just happy to have them on DVD, even if they aren't perfect, they're still hilarious!   :D

Offline FineBari3

Lucky you. Everywhere I look, whether it be Amazon or Ebay, have the set for a least $45.

I got it from Columbia House about 3 years ago. I know I got it cheaper than $45...it was on sale, I guess.
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline luke795

Dunrobin you should make an Abbott and Costello, a Laurel and Hardy, and a Ritz Brothers websites that are just like this 3 Stooges website besides the Marx Brothers.

xraffle

Dunrobin you should make an Abbott and Costello, a Laurel and Hardy, and a Ritz Brothers websites that are just like this 3 Stooges website besides the Marx Brothers.

Wow, that's a lot of work. ;D

Offline archiezappa

Wow, that's a lot of work. ;D

It would be a lot of work.  But it would be cool.   [cool]

Offline metaldams

I won't rest until there's a Kennedy/Collins database.  So it shall be written, so it shall be done.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

I won't rest until there's a Kennedy/Collins database.  So it shall be written, so it shall be done.

I'd like to see a Columbia Short Subjects database.   ::)

Another big Marx Brothers fan here. I know there were some decent MB sites out there (whyaduck.com, for example) but I think many are defunct now.

Offline Justin T

I'm a fan of the Marx Brothers too. I became a fan after I watched Duck Soup when I was in college.
My mom is a fan too, and a Stooges fan to boot. For Christmas the last 2 years I got her the MGM and Paramount
(Silver Screen Collection) DVD Box Set's. As for myself I only have Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races in
my DVD collection, but I plan on adding the Paramount Set by the end of this year.

I have seen almost all their films, the only ones I haven't seen yet are from the Zeppo era, they are Animal Crackers,
Monkey Business and Horse Feathers. I watched The Cocoanuts for the first time last Friday with my mom,
really enjoyed it. She hadn't see it before either.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

xraffle

I'm a fan of the Marx Brothers too. I became a fan after I watched Duck Soup when I was in college.
My mom is a fan too, and a Stooges fan to boot. For Christmas the last 2 years I got her the MGM and Paramount
(Silver Screen Collection) DVD Box Set's. As for myself I only have Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races in
my DVD collection, but I plan on adding the Paramount Set by the end of this year.

I have seen almost all their films, the only ones I haven't seen yet are from the Zeppo era, they are Animal Crackers,
Monkey Business and Horse Feathers. I watched The Cocoanuts for the first time last Friday with my mom,

I became a Marx Brothers fan when I was about 10 years old. I watched "Duck Soup" on Comedy Central one Saturday morning and I became an instant fan.

As for those three films you haven't seen, my advice is to go see them. Those three films are their best, especially "Horse Feathers." In fact, that's my second favorite Marx Brothers film.

Offline metaldams

I feel A NIGHT AT THE OPERA was the beginning of the whole comedy team/song/romantic angle that put a damper on talkie feature comedy.  That said, it's still the best film of its type. 

The Paramount Marx films are a line or gag a second, and while I have to be in the mood for that fast paced style, those films are great when the mood hits me.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

You've just got to see Animal Crackers.  To me, it is the definitive Marx Brothers movie.  At least, it's the definitive movie starring The Four Marx Brothers.  Great stuff.  Their comedic timing is impeccable.  Hooray for Captain Spaulding!

Offline casey0272

;)  "Soup to Nuts" was on AMC yesterday (June 1) and I watched most of it.  It's now on my DVD wishlist.

Offline moe007

i'm also a great Marx Brothers fan......have all their movies on dvd.....with the exception of "The Story of Mankind", which i've never seen.......but also have read was pretty bad.........also have quite a few You Bet Your Life radio eps as well......this my first post........this site is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!