The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

MY SISTER EILEEN (1942) on DVD, August 4

Linked Events

• MY SISTER EILEEN on DVD: August 04, 2009 - August 10, 2009

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
MY SISTER EILEEN (1942), and its fadeout cameo by Moe, Larry and Curly, will be available on DVD August 4, 2009.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release two 2-disc volumes on August 4...

"Icons of Screwball Comedy Vol. 1"
 - IF YOU COULD ONLY COOK (1935), Jean Arthur, Leo Carrillo, Herbert Marshall
 - TOO MANY HUSBANDS (1940), Jean Arthur, Melvyn Douglas, Fred MacMurray
 - SHE WOULDN'T SAY YES (1945), Rosalind Russell, Lee Bowman
 - MY SISTER EILEEN (1942), Rosalind Russell, Janet Blair, Brian Aherne, George Tobias
 - Bonus short subject AIN'T LOVE CUCKOO (1946), Gus Schilling & Richard Lane, Emil Sitka, Jean Willes, Johnny Tyrrell, Barbara Slater, Judy Malcolm

"Icons of Screwball Comedy Vol. 2"
 - THEODORA GOES WILD (1936), Irene Dunne, Melvyn Douglas
 - THE DOCTOR TAKES A WIFE (1940), Loretta Young, Ray Milland
 - A NIGHT TO REMEMBER (1943), Loretta Young, Brian Aherne
 - TOGETHER AGAIN (1944), Irene Dunne, Charles Boyer
 - Bonus cartoon THE MAD HATTER (1940)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 04:47:36 PM by BeAStooge »

xraffle

MY SISTER EILEEN (1942), and its fadeout cameo by Moe, Larry and Curly, will be available on DVD August 4, 2009.

Interesting! How many people are going to buy this? While the stooges' appearance is rather brief, I enjoyed the movie. I guess if the price is right, I'll buy it.

Offline metaldams

I saw MY SISTER EILEEN on TCM.  It is a good movie, but I don't think I'm going to buy it.  I saw one Schilling and Lane short and wasn't impressed, but I admit Emil Sitka's always interesting and Jean Willes was kind of smokin' back in the day.  :-*   
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline mrmurray

I'll probably just get it from the library.  Too bad Sony doesn't simply add the clips of the Stooges' feature films as bonus features on one of the restored DVD collections.  Maybe for the Joe Besser shorts, as a little enticement for Besser haters to purchase his era...

Offline Sadistic Stooge

Offline locoboymakesgood

I'll be picking this up, too. It's not usual in today's day and age for a studio like Sony to put out a collection of old films like this. Gotta show support. I'm sure it won't be that expensive.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

chad2411

Seems like there are still a number of feature films with The Stooges that haven't made it to DVD.  Im counting 7 films not on DVD yet (excluding black market).  Does that sound right?

Offline archiezappa

Whoa!  This is totally awesome!  I thought this movie was hilarious.  Rosalind Russell is an excellent comedienne.  She was also funny in "His Girl Friday."  Anyway, I hope Sony continues to release some of these old films.  Namely, "The Captain Hates The Sea," "Start Cheering," "Time Out For Rhythm" and "Rockin' In The Rockies."  Especially, the last one, since it's the first feature film starring The Three Stooges.  Wouldn't it be a perfect compliment to the Three Stooges Collection series?  A single disc version, since it's a feature, would be okay with me.  It would sit next to "Swing Parade," which I have from Legend Films.

Offline casey0272

Volume #1...Is this volume #1 of episodes or movies?  I'm new to this and want to start my collection.

Offline archiezappa

Volume #1...Is this volume #1 of episodes or movies?  I'm new to this and want to start my collection.

This particular Volume #1 is a collection of Columbia movies.  Only one of these movies has the Three Stooges in it and that's "My Sister Eileen."  The Three Stooges make a cameo appearance in this movie.  But the main reason this movie is good is because of Rosalind Russell.  She's hilarious!

Offline Laughing Gravy

I got an advance copy of the DVDs from Sony. My review from inthebalcony.com for this title; I'll just add that the Stooges' appearance is VERY short.

Amusing farce as sensible writer Rosalind Russell and her pretty actress sister Janet Blair move from Columbus, Ohio to Greenwich Village in search of fame in The Big City. What they get is a basement apartment with a steady stream of lunatics marching through, including Gordon Jones as an affable football player, Donald MacBride in his patented short-tempered cop role, and George Tobias (in a ridiculous wig and moustache) playing the painter/landlord. And wait'll ya see who is under the floor.

Based on the stage play, and Roz garnered an Oscar nomination for this, believe it or not. Some funny stuff going on (I especially laughed at the free food samples Eileen brings home for the starving girls from a modeling gig; all of the stuff is designed to clean out yer innards). Brian Aherne, though, in my opinion is miscast and misinteresting as the love interest. Watch for Kirk Alyn dancing!

Offline locoboymakesgood