Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

An Experiment........

vomit · 33 · 10399

Offline vomit

Well, I just ordered Volume I of the Stooges DVDs.  After I get this I will be fully up to date.  What I am considering doing is watching ALL of them in chronological order.  Not in one sitting (as much fun as that would be).  If I do it at the rate of about 7-10 a week, I figure I could be done in about 19 to 28 weeks (of course this does not allow for the "waiting" time as the episodes are issued).  I am guessing I could be finished by the end of this year.  I know for a fact I have seen every episode at one time or another.  Back in the day I had every episode except two on Beta.  When I was in Junior High I kept a list of the episodes I did not have, and kept the VCR fired up in the morning (TBS used to play them when I was leaving for school) and put my mom in charge of taping the ones I still needed.  So what do you all think?  Anybody else done this?  I am thinking it wil be a fine way to reaquaint myself with some that I haven't seen in 20+ years!!!  Viva la Shemp!!!
Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

I've never done all 190, per se, but I've done all the ones I've had over a period of a few months.  This was years ago.  I'm currently watching them all in order now as they come out, but this was interrupted when I watched a bunch of Besser shorts for the first debate.

Watching the later Curly shorts on their own are somewhat tolerable, but it's too depressing to see when you're watching them in order.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline vomit

I guess my thinking is to be like Morgan Spurlock who did "Supersize Me" (nothing but McDonald's food for 30 days) and expose myself to the Three Stooges on a regular basis with little or no other video viewing.  Back in '05 I listened to Iron Maiden's "Poweslave" for an entire month, whether I was at home or in the vehicle.  Nothing else.  My wife was ready to kill me at the end of the month, but it was a grand adventure.

I will keep you all apprised as the video Mayhem rolls forward.  I am looking forward to this "with a bold curiosity for the adventure ahead!"

Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

Back in '05 I listened to Iron Maiden's "Poweslave" for an entire month, whether I was at home or in the vehicle.  Nothing else.  My wife was ready to kill me at the end of the month, but it was a grand adventure.

Impossible!  It takes a month and a half alone to get through "Rime of the Ancient Mariner."

I actually did my big 45 minute presentation in college on "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" (not the Harris penned version, but the Coleridge version), and I made sure to sneak a Maiden reference or two in there.  I passed around the POWERSLAVE CD booklet in class and those lyrics made great cliff notes.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

An Iron Maiden and Peter Sellers mention in one post!

Just toooo good!   [headbang]

I guess my thinking is to be like Morgan Spurlock who did "Supersize Me" (nothing but McDonald's food for 30 days) and expose myself to the Three Stooges on a regular basis with little or no other video viewing.  Back in '05 I listened to Iron Maiden's "Poweslave" for an entire month, whether I was at home or in the vehicle.  Nothing else.  My wife was ready to kill me at the end of the month, but it was a grand adventure.

I will keep you all apprised as the video Mayhem rolls forward.  I am looking forward to this "with a bold curiosity for the adventure ahead!"

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline RICO987

I was wondering if anyone else planned on watching all 190 shorts in order.  My plan is to note when the last volume is due out.  At that time, I plan on putting on Volume 1 and watching 3 to 5 a day in order until I have seen them all.  It just seems that all will be right with the Universe if I carry out my "Watch them all in order" plan.

Anyone else plan on going from 1 to 190 in order?

Offline vomit

Impossible!  It takes a month and a half alone to get through "Rime of the Ancient Mariner."

I actually did my big 45 minute presentation in college on "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" (not the Harris penned version, but the Coleridge version), and I made sure to sneak a Maiden reference or two in there.  I passed around the POWERSLAVE CD booklet in class and those lyrics made great cliff notes.

Beautiful.  I did a speech in 12th grade English on Heavy Metal (got an "A" too), and I played a snippet of "Rime" and passed around the lyrics.  Good times.  Oh, the heady days of the 80s!
Specto Caelum!

Offline vomit

I was wondering if anyone else planned on watching all 190 shorts in order.  My plan is to note when the last volume is due out.  At that time, I plan on putting on Volume 1 and watching 3 to 5 a day in order until I have seen them all.  It just seems that all will be right with the Universe if I carry out my "Watch them all in order" plan.

I printed out a chronological listing of the shorts, so I can note the dates when I watch and impressions I get when re-watching them.  Heady times are here my friends.  Glad you all like Maiden & Peter Sellers (Dr. Strangelove=G.O.A.T.!!  Don't question it!)
Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

It's an interesting experience, at least going through the Curly's in order.

This time around, I'll have ALL the remakes and Bessers, so this should be a true test for any fan.  Yeah guys, defend the remakes, but YOU try watching them in order and saying, over and over again, "Didn't I just see this one?"
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Beautiful.  I did a speech in 12th grade English on Heavy Metal (got an "A" too), and I played a snippet of "Rime" and passed around the lyrics.  Good times.  Oh, the heady days of the 80s!

No doubt, 80's heavy metal was the greatest cultural movement since the days of the Greeks and the Romans.  I graduated high school in 1997, and felt Bruce Dickinson's ACCIDENT OF BIRTH, which came out that year, was the first truly classic metal album I bought upon release.

Speaking of metal and culture, I think it's a disgrace THE DECLINE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION II: THE METAL YEARS is still not out on DVD!  A drunken Ozzy making breakfast, Chris Holmes drunk in front of his mother, and ODIN (!) must be preserved for future generations.  I saw this film once, 12 or 13 years ago, and I still almost remember every scene.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline vomit

No doubt, 80's heavy metal was the greatest cultural movement since the days of the Greeks and the Romans.  I graduated high school in 1997, and felt Bruce Dickinson's ACCIDENT OF BIRTH, which came out that year, was the first truly classic metal album I bought upon release.

Speaking of metal and culture, I think it's a disgrace THE DECLINE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION II: THE METAL YEARS is still not out on DVD!  A drunken Ozzy making breakfast, Chris Holmes drunk in front of his mother, and ODIN (!) must be preserved for future generations.  I saw this film once, 12 or 13 years ago, and I still almost remember every scene.

I LOVE "Accident of Birth"; "Chemical Wedding" is great as well......I was SO glad when Dickinson and Smith rejoined Maiden (Have seen them 4 times since).  I never saw "Decline".  Had the soundtrack as a kid.  Armored Saint, "You can Run, But You can't Hide" and Motorhead's "Cradle to the Grave" were the highlights.  I agree, though, this should be out on DVD!!!
Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

Well, if you wanna see DECLINE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION 2: THE METAL YEARS, here it is.  "Cradle To the Grave" is the opening credit song!  Guess I don't need it on DVD now, as I'll probably watch it tomorrow night.   ;D

&feature=PlayList&p=3432164908925398&index=0&playnext=1
- Doug Sarnecky

A couple years ago, after I got into the Stooges but before I was familiar with their "on-DVD" status, I bought on good faith what turned out to be a cheap bootleg set of their shorts (with poor video quality, edited versions, TV station logos, and minute-long stretches missing from a couple shorts). I did watch all 190 within a short time, not strictly in order, but close -- it was something like early Curly, Besser, early Shemp, rest of Curly, rest of Shemp.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

xraffle

I never watched all 190 shorts in order. On Volumes 1-4, I watched them in random order. Volume 5 was the only volume where I watched the shorts in order and it was depressing seeing Curly decline like that. I may watch Volume 6+ in order just out of curiosity, but I find it more fun to watch them randomly. When all the Shemp sets come out, it will be more fun because I’ll have more shorts to randomly select from.

BTW, does anyone here still watch their bootleg DVDs since they started buying these official chronological sets? I haven’t touched them since because after seeing the stooges beautifully restored and remastered, I got so spoiled now. When I watch a stooge short, it must be restored!

Edit- Actually, I did touch them when I had to work on some of the transcripts on this site. But that's the only time I've ever watched them. I will probably start using them again when I work on my next set.

Offline ProfessorStooge

When all 190 shorts are released on DVD, watching them all in order is what I plan to do. I am not sure how long it will take, but I am sure looking forward to future DVD volumes. I have watched all the volumes released so far in order at the rate of one disc per day. When all 190 shorts are on DVD, I'll butter up the popcorn and kick back for a marathon of Stooge hilarity.

Offline vomit

!
Well, if you wanna see DECLINE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION 2: THE METAL YEARS, here it is.  "Cradle To the Grave" is the opening credit song!  Guess I don't need it on DVD now, as I'll probably watch it tomorrow night.   ;D

&feature=PlayList&p=3432164908925398&index=0&playnext
I started watching it....but MAN, way too many GAY hair bands.  More LEMMY please!!!
Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

!
&feature=PlayList&p=3432164908925398&index=0&playnext
I started watching it....but MAN, way too many GAY hair bands.  More LEMMY please=1

Gay hair bands = Comedy Gold

The film was released in 1988 and is about the L.A. scene.  Obviously, the hair spray's gonna be in abundance.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline vomit

Gay hair bands = Comedy Gold

The film was released in 1988 and is about the L.A. scene.  Obviously, the hair spray's gonna be in abundance.

True, about the comedic gold.  I cringed looking at these fluffyboys.  Wow!  I pretty much ignored that scene back in the day (more into Maiden, Armored Saint, Megadeth, etc.) so I can honestly say: this stuff sux.  Again, more Lemmy, please.  Ozzy looked ruined too.  Who was that dude in the pool?  His Momma sure was proud!  Bring on the Maiden!!
Specto Caelum!

I too almost had them all on tape(VHS). Channel 11 St. Louis had them on 2 hours each Saturday night/Sunday morning but showed them in alphabetical order. The lone one I missed out on was Shemp's 'Mummy's Dummies.' So I waited for it to cycle through again, but they skipped it again. I didn't get a chance later, as Ch11 switched to the 1 short per half hour format, which used trivia bits and fake Stooge movie/music bits on commercial breaks. Then they dumped it completely, and only Fox Family/AMC/Spike TV were the places to watch. Constant viewing caused my tapes to degrade, so thank god for all the dvd releases.
And yes, I will have a Stooge-a-thon when all discs are out. Hell, I'll even have a smile on my face during the Joe shorts(for about 20 seconds).

Offline vomit

Well the experiment commenced two nights ago.  I am keeping notes and am going at a pretty good clip.  I finished the 1st DVD tonight.  My boys, so far, have only wanted me to replay "Three Little Beers".  My older son is already clamoring for Shemp.  These first shorts, are a little "raw", like they had not hit their stride yet.  I will keep you all posted. >:D
Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

Wait'll you get around '38 or '39, things get more consistent.  Not that there aren't tons of great shorts before then, but when it's just Jules White and Del Lord directing, the golden age began.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline casey0272

Absolutely!  When I fall in love with any show, I'm obsessed about watching each episode in order.  (I'm doing that now with "The Sopranos, since I'm the only person in the US who's never watched the show.)  But first I have to find out which DVDs are best, where to get them, etc.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline archiezappa

Absolutely!  When I fall in love with any show, I'm obsessed about watching each episode in order.  (I'm doing that now with "The Sopranos, since I'm the only person in the US who's never watched the show.)  But first I have to find out which DVDs are best, where to get them, etc.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Well, The Three Stooges Collection series is the best way to go with the Three Stooges.  Sony has done a wonderful job of restoring the shows (Way beyond my expectations) and putting them all in chronological order.  It's a dream come true!  We couldn't have asked for anything better.  I can't wait until Volume Six comes out.  It's just around the corner...

Offline vomit

I'm up to episode #36 or thereabouts.  Much better than the 1st year.  Can hardly wait to get to the "Shemps"!!  Off topic, I saw Iron Maiden's Documentary "Flight 666": a great movie, and not just for fans.  Highly recommended!

[youtube=425,350]IZDOMGAqJ4M[/youtube]
Specto Caelum!