The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Announcement for TMD V

shemps#1 · 38 · 16741

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
With the current session of The Master Debates underway between xraffle and WhyIOughta it's time set up the next edition, which will start in May. I was afraid that I had run out of ideas already, to be quite honest: then it hit me. The topic for TMD V will be:

If Shemp had never left The Three Stooges would they still be remembered today?

Any longtime fans of Marvel Comics might remember a comic by the name of "What If...?" In this comic they took your favorite heroes in changed something from their comic book past to show what would have happened. Consider this a "What If...?" with the Stooges and Shemp staying with Healy and the group instead of going off on his own. There is no Curly in the group, and the eventually break off from Healy and sign with Columbia.

I hope we get some new blood in the submission pool as this is one of the better topics (I think so at any rate). Submissions should be sent to me via Private Message and everyone except Dunrobin, myself and the winner of TMD IV can participate. I will pick what I think are the best submissions from the "yes they would still be remembered" to the "no they would have been long forgotten" sides of the argument.

Good luck and happy master debating.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

Jim: I have a little suggestion. Before participants post their arguments, you have them PM it to you first so the second participant to finish doesn't have any advantage from reading the other participant's argument. Well, why not do the same thing with the judges votes?

The reason I make this suggestion is because I have a feeling certain judges probably wait for the other judges to vote first before said judge casts his/her vote. The reason I have this feeling is because Dunrobin submitted his vote first on three of the four debates we had. On TMD II, Rob was nice enough to let the other judges go first, but none of the judges were submitting anything. Therefore, Rob ended up going first after all. So, just to make sure no one's vote influences anyone else's, maybe you could possibly have the judges PM you, or maybe someone else, with their votes before posting them. Of course, you don't have to start this now since TMD IV is almost coming to an end, but maybe we can start doing this in TMD V.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Looking back the only time the person who got the first vote and won was you in TMD, and that was a 4-0 tally so since their is no convincing evidence that the first judge influences the others I'm going to keep it the way it is.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

Ok, I understand. I'm not saying that there really was any influencing, but I thought it'd be better to just make sure. But it's fine. We can keep things the way they are.

Offline WhyIOughta

• Beetlebrain
Put me down for being a judgie-wudgie, Shemps#1, ol' buddy, ol' pal.....It's just as much fun!   [3stooges]

xraffle

Is there not going to be anymore debates? It's May 3rd and the participants haven't been announced.

stooged and confused

I sent in my submission a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Oh shit, it totally slipped my mind! Well you are the only person to send me a submission, S&C, which is kind of surprising as I thought this was one of the better topics. I suppose you can consider yourself winner by default.

Offline WhyIOughta

• Beetlebrain
I haven't voted yet....   ;D

But, should a TMD V become a reality, "votes ARE on sale in the lobby."

hehe... J/K ......  >:D

stooged and confused

Oh shit, it totally slipped my mind! Well you are the only person to send me a submission, S&C, which is kind of surprising as I thought this was one of the better topics. I suppose you can consider yourself winner by default.

Well, I'm very happy to get a Three Stooges Journal subscription, but I thought I'd have to work a bit for it. I'm surprised that you didn't get any other submissions. I thought this was one of the better and meatier subjects to tackle as well.

So, that's it? Nobody wants to take me on? Maybe Shemps #1 should post my submission and see if that lights a fire with anyone.

Offline WhyIOughta

• Beetlebrain
Surely, there must be SOMEONE that's going to keep the TMD-system going!  Don't poop out on me NOW, this is one of the best parts of the site!  Calling all debators!

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I was wanting to volunteer to judge this round - but - being the ever-gullible sucker, just PM me with the position I should espouse and I'd be glad to take on S&C. (That is, if S&C wants to put his already earned subscription up for grabs)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

xraffle

To be honest, I'm very disappointed in the lack of participation in these debates. As of now, this site has 3,574 members and only a handful submit something. I, honestly, think these debates are a lot of fun and they add a lot of excitement each month. It's too bad I'm the only one that feels this way.

Offline WhyIOughta

• Beetlebrain
You're not alone...They were the main reason that I joined the board.  It showed there was life on this site, in regards to the Stooges.  It MUST be preserved........

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Guys, gotta face reality here.  There haven't been more than a half a dozen posters on this site for years now who have been willing to discuss the boys in depth.  The glory days were when they were on AMC everyday.

My opinion of the Master Debates, and I've discussed this with Jim - great idea, wrong timing.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

Guys, gotta face reality here.  There haven't been more than a half a dozen posters on this site for years now who have been willing to discuss the boys in depth.  The glory days were when they were on AMC everyday. 

Yeah, I know. Instead, all we get are people like Captain Spaulding or other people who whine because they can't start a new topic until they reach 10 posts.

Offline Justin T

• Toastmaster General
  • Birdbrain
I know how you guys feel.

I wanted to submit something for this round, but work has been really busy for me lately
and I just haven't been able to devot the time to come up with a submission.

"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Well, I'm doing most of my posting IN work these days!   ;D  Wednesday's are slower.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

Well, I'm doing most of my posting IN work these days!

Shame on you. But then again, I do the same thing. :-[

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Shame on you. But then again, I do the same thing. :-[

Believe it or not, as long as I'm not on a call, they don't care.  I follow day Red Sox games at work and even discuss them with my bosses as they're happening.  Can't complain.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
If we take out the necessity of having a prize at stake (S&C can keep his subscription), and since this thread is floundering, I have a proposal for S&C. Why can't we go ahead and debate the topic anyway? It can only be enjoyable for me and you, and perhaps also to the precious few who thrill to the boys "in depth".

Since it is TMD V, it can be billed as "The Final Chapter" (just like "Battle for the Planet of the Apes").

AND, it might allow me to finally score a win! (Third time's the charm)

How's 'bout it, guys?
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

xraffle

If we take out the necessity of having a prize at stake (S&C can keep his subscription), and since this thread is floundering, I have a proposal for S&C. Why can't we go ahead and debate the topic anyway? It can only be enjoyable for me and you, and perhaps also to the precious few who thrill to the boys "in depth".

Since it is TMD V, it can be billed as "The Final Chapter" (just like "Battle for the Planet of the Apes").

How's 'bout it, guys?

Not a bad idea. Why not do it just for fun? WIO already agreed to judge and I'll agree as well. If we can get two more volunteers and S&C's ok, we can have ourselves a fun, last debate.

Offline WhyIOughta

• Beetlebrain
You never know....Keeping this going might give it life, down the road...Hey, i'll stay on with the same faces debating.  You might just pick up a few more down the line....I'm game for whatever.....

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
I'll judge this round if you guys go through with it.
- Doug Sarnecky

stooged and confused

How's 'bout it, guys?

Giddy up!