The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

"Stooge Trivia" Added

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
As the result of some discussion in a thread on the Nitpicker's Corner board, I have added a new Stooges Trivia section.  Here are the basic rules, as I spelled them out in the other thread:

• Any member above Porcupine (10 or more posts) will be able submit trivia on the individual episodes.  (The username of the member will be displayed for bragging rights.)   ;)

• You will be able to cite a source (book name, web site title, etc.) for the trivia item, and if the source is available online enter the web site address (URL.)  Just copy it from the address bar (including the "http://") when you are on the web page and then paste it into the URL field on the form.

• New trivia items will be immediately displayed but will be marked as "Unconfirmed" until a Team Stooge member confirms the entry.  The Team Stooge member will also have the option to either delete an erroneous entry or tag it as "False" and add a comment explaining why it has been tagged that way.

The Trivia section is available on the episode pages, so go ahead and start adding trivia.  (Let me know if you run into any glitches.)  I'll be adding a master Trivia page under the Stooge Info menu soon.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
There are some trivia items that don't belong in any one episode. For instance, during a 1939 trip to Ireland, the group changed their name to the Three “Hooges” because in the vernacular of the day, to “stooge” meant to have sexual intercourse. My source is the 1998 Three Stooges Calendar sold at three Stooges.com.

With this Master Triva page, perhaps a category for those trivia items that do not belong to any particular episode.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
There are some trivia items that don't belong in any one episode. For instance, during a 1939 trip to Ireland, the group changed their name to the Three “Hooges” because in the vernacular of the day, to “stooge” meant to have sexual intercourse. My source is the 1998 Three Stooges Calendar sold at three Stooges.com.

With this Master Triva page, perhaps a category for those trivia items that do not belong to any particular episode.

I hadn't thought of that, but I'll work that in.  You can add those even now - just open an "Add Trivia" window from any episode, then make sure that you set the Episode pull down menu in the form to the very first item, which is blank.  Those entries just won't show up anywhere until I get the master Stooge Trivia page in place, but I'll make those "general" trivia items list first.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
... during a 1939 trip to Ireland, the group changed their name to the Three “Hooges” because in the vernacular of the day, to “stooge” meant to have sexual intercourse. My source is the 1998 Three Stooges Calendar sold at three Stooges.com.

Not true. Norman Langton spent months researching the Stooges' June 4 - July 9, 1939 tour of the UK, in London, Blackpool, Dublin and Glasgow. Highlights of his research were published in The Three Stooges Journal # 105 (Spring 2003) and # 106 (Summer 2003). His research compiled scores of lobby and print posters/advertisments and newspaper reviews... there's not a single "hooge" in the lot.

The word "stooge" did take on that slang connotation in the early '60s. As a result, 20th-Century Fox retitled SNOW WHITE AND THE THREE STOOGES as SNOW WHITE AND THE THREE CLOWNS for UK distribution; however, Moe, Larry and Curly Joe were still cast-credited as "The Three Stooges."

Not just in this case, but in general, any citations to C3's website or their products will be looked at very closely. They may own the trademark, but as a source of reliable information... well, the less said the better. Consider this... a couple years ago, their newsletter published a feature story on Marjorie White. It was accompanied by a picture of Moe, Larry, Curly and Eva McKenzie from OILY TO BED, OILY TO RISE (1939)... Ms. McKenzie was identified as Marjorie White.

xraffle

Excellent work, Rob. One bug, though. When I try to edit a trivia entry, it doesn't work. I would make the change, click "update entry" and it goes back to the way it was before. It won't update.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Excellent work, Rob. One bug, though. When I try to edit a trivia entry, it doesn't work. I would make the change, click "update entry" and it goes back to the way it was before. It won't update.

Oops!  Try it now - there was an error in the table name for the updates.  It should (hopefully) work now.   ;)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Not true. Norman Langton spent months researching the Stooges' June 4 - July 9, 1939 tour of the UK, in London, Blackpool, Dublin and Glasgow. Highlights of his research were published in The Three Stooges Journal # 105 (Spring 2003) and # 106 (Summer 2003). His research compiled scores of lobby and print posters/advertisments and newspaper reviews... there's not a single "hooge" in the lot.

The word "stooge" did take on that slang connotation in the early '60s. As a result, 20th-Century Fox retitled SNOW WHITE AND THE THREE STOOGES as SNOW WHITE AND THE THREE CLOWNS for UK distribution; however, Moe, Larry and Curly Joe were still cast-credited as "The Three Stooges."

Not just in this case, but in general, any citations to C3's website or their products will be looked at very closely. They may own the trademark, but as a source of reliable information... well, the less said the better. Consider this... a couple years ago, their newsletter published a feature story on Marjorie White. It was accompanied by a picture of Moe, Larry, Curly and Eva McKenzie from OILY TO BED, OILY TO RISE (1939)... Ms. McKenzie was identified as Marjorie White.

There's an excellent example of why I decided to make it possible to leave a trivia item in place but mark it as "False" and leave comments debunking it.  This subject has come up more than once on this site.   ;D

xraffle

Oops!  Try it now - there was an error in the table name for the updates.  It should (hopefully) work now.   ;)

I tried it. It woiks. ;D

Offline curlysdame

Why am I not surprised?  I've never considered "them" a reliable source.  I used to get the newsletters years ago, and I only found it to have the same sub-par articles that were featured on the website, as well as the same PD photos.  Viva "The Journal"!   :P   Anyway... [focus]
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Okay - the master Stooge Trivia page is in place, under the Stooge Info menu.

Tip:  When citing a book title in the Source field, do not use quotation marks.  (They'll make it impossible to update the information afterward.)  Just enter the title, and if you want to give the author's name as well just add a comma after the title followed with " by " and the author's name.

xraffle

Tip:  When citing a book title in the Source field, do not use quotation marks.  (They'll make it impossible to update the information afterward.)  Just enter the title, and if you want to give the author's name as well just add a comma after the title followed with " by " and the author's name.

Gotcha! Sorry about that.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Gotcha! Sorry about that.

No problem - I didn't think about it myself until I checked editing one of your entries and found myself wondering why the source wasn't showing in the form.   ;D

I've added a little routine to strip out any existing quotation marks from the source when you open the entry for editing.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
A couple of tweaks were just made:

• I added "Partially False" as one of the status options available to the Team Stooge members reviewing an entry.
  • I fixed a couple of errors on the main page and added color coding for each entry's Status (Unconfirmed, False, Partially False, Confirmed), making it easier to spot the ones that need attention.