Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Master Debates II: When Should The Stooges Have Called It Quits?

shemps#1 · 91 · 51642

Offline WhyIOughta

• Beetlebrain
You are correct, sir..."Dunked In The Deep" it is...Here's the quote I use, from the provided transcript...

BORTCH to SHEMP:  (As Bortch has now caught up with Shemp and is in a full state dementedness is shouting at Shemp):  "Give me dat fillum!, Give me dat fillum!, or I kill you!"

xraffle

I always thought that handle was interesting but I never knew what it meant. What "fill-em" is that quote from anyway? (My off-the-top guess would be Dunked In The Deep.)

Oh! Call me stupid! In all the years I've been here, I never knew what that screen name meant. But now I finally know. It's Mr. Bortch's famous line in "Dunked In The Deep" when he chases after the stooges. [doh]

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Oh! Call me stupid! In all the years I've been here, I never knew what that screen name meant. But now I finally know. It's Mr. Bortch's famous line in "Dunked In The Deep" when he chases after the stooges. [doh]

Tony, AKA Shemp Shady, used to blurt that line a lot.  Gene Roth is great as Borscht.

DUNKED IN THE DEEP is also one of my brother's favorites.  The line he always quotes is, "Dat melon is here."
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

By the way, when Mr. Bortch says "Give me that fillum," the translation is "give me that film." The stolen documents that Mr. Bortch had were films rolled up and stuff into the watermelons.

And I do know what Desmond Of The Outer Sanctorum is. It's the ghost that Shemp claimed closed the creaky door in "The Ghost Talk" (or "Creeps"). Remember strange things will happen in this castle. ;)

Offline Desmond Of The Outer Sanctorum

• Puddinhead
And I do know what Desmond Of The Outer Sanctorum is. It's the ghost that Shemp claimed closed the creaky door in "The Ghost Talk" (or "Creeps"). Remember strange things will happen in this castle. ;)
But of course! Except I thought Shemp was pretending to be the host of some radio ghost-story show -- sort of like the "Crypt Keeper" of later days.

Ghost/Creeps is by no means a favorite short of mine, but I got a kick out of the name Shemp says. And, as much as I bring up Besser, Shemp is actually my favorite Stooge (as well as my son's).
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

ThumpTheShoes

But of course! Except I thought Shemp was pretending to be the host of some radio ghost-story show -- sort of like the "Crypt Keeper" of later days.

Ghost/Creeps is by no means a favorite short of mine, but I got a kick out of the name Shemp says. And, as much as I bring up Besser, Shemp is actually my favorite Stooge (as well as my son's).

"Inner Sanctum" was the show.. there's a clip of that show's intro here:
The real "Creaky Door"!

Offline Desmond Of The Outer Sanctorum

• Puddinhead
"Inner Sanctum" was the show..
I was gonna say that "Outer Sanctorum" must have been a Stooge-ism for something called the "Inner Sanctum." And I just looked up that show, and its host was "Raymond"!
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Lon Chaney, Jr. also did a b-movie series of six films with Universal around the mid-40's called THE INNER SANCTUM.  It was based on the radio show.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

• Master Stooge
  • Knothead
These are the pop culture references that I LOVE about the Stooges!

In 20 years, people might not even get that reference anymore!

Because the films were cranked out so fast, and meant to be seen only for a brief period in time, these references are priceless!

I just explained when Larry says "I haven't even seen The Jolson Story Yet" to my Mom, which led us to watching The Jolson Story and Jolson Sings Again, followed by The Jazz Singer when it was on TCM this past week.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline QuinceHead

• Chucklehead
Except I thought Shemp was pretending to be the host of some radio ghost-story show -- sort of like the "Crypt Keeper" of later days.

Which is somewhat ironic, considering that actor John Kassir -- the voice of the Crypt Keeper in HBO's Tales From the Crypt -- played Shemp in the 2000 Three Stooges bio TV-movie!   ;D

For duty and humanity,
JohnH
aka QuinceHead

Offline LadyJ

• Porcupine
Aw man...I missed the deadline. It's hard to say when anyone should call it quits but I'd have to say after Shemp's passing. Joe DeRita was okay but seemed like filler. It's like replacing Left Eye with some other girl--no can do, don't even bother. I know some would be mad at that but that's just my take.

Offline Giva_Dam

• Porcupine
They should have kept going, but they should have replaced Shemp (the second time) with Emil Sitka. Imagine that.
"Don't look now, but I think we're about to be killed."

Offline Tony Bensley

• Birdbrain
They should have kept going, but they should have replaced Shemp (the second time) with Emil Sitka. Imagine that.
I like Emil, but in my opinion, it would have been a bit too much like having two Larry's.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline CurlyFan1934

• Beetlebrain
I completely agree. I feel like Emil had a better sense of what he was doing than, say, Joe Besser or Curly Joe DeRita. Emil had worked with the Stooges previously and had the experience. He knew how the Stooges worked, and the Stooges knew how he worked. I think it would have been a good combination.

Offline Tony Bensley

• Birdbrain
I completely agree. I feel like Emil had a better sense of what he was doing than, say, Joe Besser or Curly Joe DeRita. Emil had worked with the Stooges previously and had the experience. He knew how the Stooges worked, and the Stooges knew how he worked. I think it would have been a good combination.
I concede that Emil Sitka would have been better suited as a Stooge than Joe Besser, although I still think it would have been somewhat like having two Larrys, which I suppose wouldn't necessarily have been a bad thing - perhaps Emil could have been Larry's long lost brother, or something along that line!  From there, it would no doubt have soon become evident whether or not these "Tweaked" Stooges clicked sufficiently by the time they were rehired by Columbia to do Features, assuming that scenario otherwise played out the same way! 

CHEERS!  [3stooges]