Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Volume 5 1946-1948, March 17

booklover · 180 · 46724

Linked Events

• Stooges Coll Vol. 5 1946-1948: March 17, 2009 - March 23, 2009

Offline locoboymakesgood

Does anyone know if the script for Beer Barrel Polecats called for that much stock footage? Was that something decided during filming given Curly's health? Because for a short full of so much stock footage, it has an excellent first half.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Does anyone know if the script for Beer Barrel Polecats called for that much stock footage?

It does not.

Was that something decided during filming given Curly's health?

The commonly presumed/stated reason... but Curly's health probably had nothing to do with it.

A future Journal article will examine the unfilmed BEER BARREL scenes, and a more likely reason for the substituted stock footage.

Offline 46FAN

Any pictures of the box art for this set?Thanks in advance.

Offline Stooges#1

Not just yet, we could get it next week or even at the end of the month.

Offline OldFred

Here's my suggested artwork for the cover of Vol. 5. We'll see if I got it right.  ;)

xraffle

The commonly presumed/stated reason... but Curly's health probably had nothing to do with it.

I just got The Complete Three Stooges book for Christmas and it says the reason they reused those footages is so they can give Curly some time to rest due to his failing health. The VHS video covers used to have trivia under each short and it said the same thing. I'm not 100% sure if that's the real reason, but that's what all the sources are saying.

Offline falsealarms

dvdempire.com is taking orders for volume 5. Amazon isn't yet.

xraffle

dvdempire.com is taking orders for volume 5. Amazon isn't yet.

I got an Amazon gift card for Christmas, so I'll be using that to order Volume 5. So, I won't get my copy early this time. As soon as this DVD is up for pre-order, I'll place my order right away.

Offline falsealarms

I got an Amazon gift card for Christmas, so I'll be using that to order Volume 5. So, I won't get my copy early this time. As soon as this DVD is up for pre-order, I'll place my order right away.

You never know. Some get lucky and theirs ships before the actual release date. Assuming its 16.99, you could bump it up to 2 day shipping and probably still be within 25.00.

Offline Stooges#1

This time around im getting my copy from Amazon.ca (Canada). Because the current Australian currency is 71 cents to every USD and 85 cents to every CAD. And it has pretty much been the same story for months so in March it will still be like that more than likely. The only difference is the set might cost $17 on Com and $20 on Ca but the way the dollar is i'll still be making a big saving.

Offline falsealarms

Amazon now taking orders. Pre-order price is $17.49, a marginal bump from the $16.99 pre-order price of the others.

Buy them here: http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=2248.0

Offline Stooges#1

Amazon now taking orders. Pre-order price is $17.49, a marginal bump from the $16.99 pre-order price of the others.

Thanks.

I hope Amazon arent going to make the same mistake as they did volume 4, although its only a 50 cent rise. The pre order price for volume 4 was $21.99 compared to $16.99 for 1, 2 and 3 and Amazon reimbused everyone who bought volume 4 almost straight after it was released.

Offline falsealarms

Thanks.

I hope Amazon arent going to make the same mistake as they did volume 4, although its only a 50 cent rise. The pre order price for volume 4 was $21.99 compared to $16.99 for 1, 2 and 3 and Amazon reimbused everyone who bought volume 4 almost straight after it was released.

True, though since everyone got reimbursed, I don't think it was a big deal in the scheme of things. They righted their wrong.

xraffle

Now, they put it up for pre-order and the other DVD I was going to order with it went up $5. So, when I find something to order with it so I can get free shipping, then I will place my order.

Offline falsealarms

Now, they put it up for pre-order and the other DVD I was going to order with it went up $5. So, when I find something to order with it so I can get free shipping, then I will place my order.

Some of their holiday deals might be coming to an end.

xraffle

I just ordered it. I found something to buy with it. Shipping estimate is March 23, 2009, almost a week after release date.

Offline falsealarms

I just ordered it. I found something to buy with it. Shipping estimate is March 23, 2009, almost a week after release date.

If you used their "free super saver shipping," that's probably why. It's free because it's slow as molasses. I just pre-ordered (with standard shipping) and the estimated delivery date they have is March 19th.

xraffle

If you used their "free super saver shipping," that's probably why. It's free because it's slow as molasses. I just pre-ordered (with standard shipping) and the estimated delivery date they have is March 19th.

Yeah, I used free shipping. It doesn't really matter. I used standard shipping with Volume 1 and it still took a long time to come. It doesn't matter anyway. I'll probably be taking midterms during that time anyway, so I'm in no rush.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

I ordered the DVD by itself and got my confirmation back saying "Delivery estimate: March 19, 2009".  (Of course, I went with "Standard Shipping" - an additional $2.98 - so that's probably why there is a date difference.)

I'll give Amazon a lot of credit, especially when it comes to customer service.  I've ordered quite a few books and DVDs from them over the past few years and I've only ever had two problems, both of which were resolved quickly.  The first was the price discrepancy on Volume 4, and they refunded the difference pretty darned fast, and the second was a puzzle book I ordered from them last month to give as a Christmas present which apparently never made it past the Post Office in New Jersey.  When the book still hadn't arrived several days past the due date I contacted Amazon through their site; the customer service person who responded initially kept an eye on it, and when it still didn't show as delivered a day or two later he (or she - I never did know which) had a replacement copy shipped out via UPS to make sure that I got it in time.

xraffle

I ordered the DVD by itself and got my confirmation back saying "Delivery estimate: March 19, 2009".  (Of course, I went with "Standard Shipping" - an additional $2.98 - so that's probably why there is a date difference.)

I'll give Amazon a lot of credit, especially when it comes to customer service.  I've ordered quite a few books and DVDs from them over the past few years and I've only ever had two problems, both of which were resolved quickly.  The first was the price discrepancy on Volume 4, and they refunded the difference pretty darned fast, and the second was a puzzle book I ordered from them last month to give as a Christmas present which apparently never made it past the Post Office in New Jersey.  When the book still hadn't arrived several days past the due date I contacted Amazon through their site; the customer service person who responded initially kept an eye on it, and when it still didn't show as delivered a day or two later he (or she - I never did know which) had a replacement copy shipped out via UPS to make sure that I got it in time.

I agree. While their shipping is so darn slow, their customer service is excellent. I once got a damaged item and when I reported it, they sent a replacement right away and it came in two days.

Offline Stooges#1

In the past 24 hours the sales ranking of volume 5 has gone from 10500 to 1800.  [cool] I cannot wait til this sets released so i can watch the rest of the Curly's and the start of Shemp.

Offline falsealarms

In the past 24 hours the sales ranking of volume 5 has gone from 10500 to 1800.  [cool] I cannot wait til this sets released so i can watch the rest of the Curly's and the start of Shemp.

It's now cracked the top 1000 - 739 to be exact. It's outselling volumes 2, 3, and 4.

Offline Stooges#1

624 right now. Yesterday the sales rank on Amazon.ca was 800+, now its eased back to about 1500 but still very good.

Offline Larry Larry

Thanks Sony   [cool]

I love this series.  The restoration of these priceless, classic films is just great.

I'm really going to enjoy seeing the Shemp and Joe films which will come later.  I haven't seen many of these Shemps and Joes in years.  The unseen ones are like lost episodes to me.  Bring on Volume 5!!!!
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline RICO987

I have not seen many of the Shemp and Joe shorts in years either.  I reckon it will be like seeing them for the first time again.  "What an experience!"