Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

#36: Captain & Tennille

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
(NOTE: Music That Sucks is the correct opinion of the author. May anyone who disagrees get gang raped by a thousand muskrats in heat.)

I was over at the official Boston Red Sox Message Board, one of my other online hangouts, when a thread asking people for their opinion on the worst song of the 1970's caught my eye. After giving my suggestions (and stating how I feel that the 80's were, as a whole, worse than the 70's), I began to peruse the suggestions of others. For the most part the songs mentioned were performed by one-hit wonders: "Playground In My Mind" by Clint Holmes, " Run Joey Run" by David Geddes, "Billy Don't Be A Hero" by Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods: the list goes on and on. All of these songs suck big time, but the artists do not qualify for induction into the not-so-hallowed halls of MTS. Then I saw them; their name typed into the thread, the letters peering into my very essence as if to say, "why weren't we inducted when you first started this fucking thing?" After doing some light qualifying research, I realized that Captain & Tennille deserved to be inducted as of yesterday. How could I have been so blind? Well it's never too late for induction into MTS; never too late to rectify the wrongs of my past ignorance.

Cathryn Antoinette Tennille was born on May 8, 1943 in Montgomery AL, the daughter of big band singer Frank Tennille (who performed under the stage name Clark Randall) and his wife Cathryn, a local television talk show host. Tennille studied piano a youngster and would make the occasional appearance on her mother's show. After attending Auburn University to study music, Tennille moved to California where met, married, and a divorced a drummer by the name of Kenneth Shearer. During this time she also joined a theater group by the name of South Coast Repertory, and wrote her own revue for the group to perform. The revue was called Mother Earth, keeping with the environmentalist boom of the early 1970's. The show was mostly performed in the Los Angeles area, and it was in the City of Angels where Tennille met Darryl Dragon. Dragon was the son of a conductor who had toured with the Beach Boys and performed on a couple of their records. He earned the nickname "Captain Keyboard" from Mike Love because he would appear on stage in a yachting cap.

Dragon soon joined the revue as the keyboardist, and when the revue was closed returned to touring with the Beach Boys and helped get Tennille hired as a pianist and backup singer. Both of them toured with the Beach Boys for over the year, and soon fell in love (they would marry in 1975). After leaving the Beach Boys tour the duo went out on their own, their hearts set on making some of the most insipid pop music known to man. They played LA clubs under the name Captain and Tennille (not THE Captain & Tennille, heaven forbid), and in 1973 financed their own debut single, "The Way I Want To Touch You". The single began to get airplay in the LA area,  and the duo signed with A&M Records (home to such lite pop acts as The Carpenters). In 1975 they released their debut album, Love Will Keep Us Together. The title track, a cover a Neil Sedaka song, was released as their second single and topped the charts. As for "The Way I Want To Touch You", that song ended up getting three different releases, reaching gold status on the third try.

The Love Will Keep Us Together album would remain on the charts for two years, going gold itself. In January of 1976, a third single went gold, "Lonely Night (Angel Face)", which was written by the aforementioned Neil Sedaka and released to promote their second album Song Of Joy. The next month, "Love Will Keep Us Together" would win the Grammy for Record of the Year. One of the cardinal rules of Music That Sucks is that the Grammy's are a fucking joke, as it seems many of the inductees sport one on their trophy shelves.

To pause for a moment here to reflect, like many of the inductees here, Captain and Tennille are before my time. I was not around when they were at the height of their popularity, but I can guess that Captain and Tennille were never "cool". The couple themselves were in their early-mid 30's at the height of their success, and their music just screams out "for middle-aged listeners only". I'm sure those of you who were in your teenage years during this time can back me up, but I would think that a teenager getting caught listen to C&T back in the day would have recieved a well-deserved ass-whuppin.

Song Of Joy followed it's predecessor and went gold, on the strength of a cover of the old Miracles hit "Shop Around", and one of the worst fucking songs of all time: "Muskrat Love". "Muskrat Love" is pretty self-explanatory, it tells the story of two muskrats (Suzy and Sam) meeting and falling in love. As is that weren't stupid enough, the track features Tennille's interpretation of two muskrats having sex. Let me repeat that, TENNILLE MAKES LITTLE "MUSKRAT FUCKING" NOISES DURING THE SONG! I wanted to beat my own ass after the song finished for not having shut the song off and cleaning my ears with toxic waste. Luckily, the end of the success of Tennille and her silent little eunick was just around the horizon.

Attempting to find an answer to the success of the Sonny and Cher variety show on CBS, ABC signed the duo to their own variety show appropriate named The Captain & Tennille in September 1976. The show was a major flop, and according to Dragon overexposed the duo, leading to declining record sales. Although ABC had offered to continue the show, the duo declined and the show was finished after one season. In 1977 the duo, like Ethel Merman and Rick Dees before them, tried their hand at Disco with the single "Can't Stop Dancin'". The song made the Top 20, but failed to reach gold status. Subsequent releases tanked even further, the couple made the switch to Casablanca Records just before that label went under, then to CBS records, but never released an album for that label. They enjoyed a brief comeback in the mid 1990's when 1970's camp was in style, but thankfully they remain has-beens. Look for them to appear on one of the many stupid B-list celebrity reality shows; after all, that seems like the next logical step.

The 1970's, while having it's bright spots musically, was also a breeding ground for schmaltzy horseshit like this.

Captain & Tennille, music...that sucks!
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Tony Bensley

• Birdbrain
I thought the muskrat sounds were synthed on one of the late Daryl Dragon's keyboards? Weird sound, to be sure!

In 1975-76 I was only 11 and 12, but I have zero recall of Captain & Tennille ever being referred to as cool by anyone. I remember there were hat jokes galore on that godawful variety series! 🤣

The mid 70s also featured the health craze. Once a week, our class had to participate in something called the "Health Hustle" (Named after Van McCoy's "The Hustle." Get it?  ::) ), and "Love Will Keep Us Together" was among the featured songs. That's probably where I first heard it, and of the Captain & Tennille. 

I do remember them having one last gasp of chart topping success in 1980, but the song title escapes me, at the moment. Oh, it was "Do That To Me One More Time." 🙄

Offline Umbday

• Grapehead
I was 12 the summer that Love Will Keep Us Together dominated the pop charts and went on to becoming the biggest selling 45 of the year. Even to a pre-teen like me, C&T records stood out on AM radio as obvious product. Nothing about C&T ever registered as "cool." (They'd have probably acknowledged that.)

As to Muskrat Love — even to me as it kid, what was going on in that record sounded creepy, and square, and cring-y. I still find those synthesized muskrat noise to sound like sour stomach acid trickling into an empty small intestine.     

Offline Tony Bensley

• Birdbrain
I was 12 the summer that Love Will Keep Us Together dominated the pop charts and went on to becoming the biggest selling 45 of the year. Even to a pre-teen like me, C&T records stood out on AM radio as obvious product. Nothing about C&T ever registered as "cool." (They'd have probably acknowledged that.)

As to Muskrat Love — even to me as it kid, what was going on in that record sounded creepy, and square, and cring-y. I still find those synthesized muskrat noise to sound like sour stomach acid trickling into an empty small intestine.   
That's about as accurate a descriptor as I've ever heard or read, regarding the super weird muskrat noises! 😂🤣🤣🤣