Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Keaton's Columbia shorts

Offline falsealarms

Would anyone recommend a blind buy of this? I've never really delved into Keaton (I don't have much tolerance for silents) but this set of his Columbia stuff is at least intriguing. Great era for Columbia (39-41) and lots of Stooge connections.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews20/buster_keaton_65th_anniversary_dvd.htm

Offline Sadistic Stooge

I have this set ,and yes it is worth getting . I enjoyed 4 of the shorts on the set . It's great to see the non-stooge shorts that I never got to see .

Offline metaldams

Would anyone recommend a blind buy of this? I've never really delved into Keaton (I don't have much tolerance for silents) but this set of his Columbia stuff is at least intriguing. Great era for Columbia (39-41) and lots of Stooge connections.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews20/buster_keaton_65th_anniversary_dvd.htm

Tolerance for silents or not I'd hope you've at least given silent Keaton, Chaplin, and Lloyd a chance.  If you have and don't care for them, to each their own, but if not, do yourself a favor and watch some of the great silent comedians.  The great silent comedians go over better than anything else of the silent era and I'd go as far to say that was the greatest era of film comedy ever. 

You should check out the Columbia Keaton set for the Columbia shorts deartment aspect of it.  For the Keaton aspect of it, great for long time fans, but hardly shows off Keaton in his prime element.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

I have been debating to get this or not. I just got a set of a bunch of Buster stuff (mostly PD), but it has several of his Educational Pictures shorts on it. I have never seen any of those, and just figured that they really sucked for some reason. I was VERY surprised.

Buster has become my newest obsession, and everything I have seen of his I have really enjoyed, even "Free and Easy" and some of the other supposedly tedious MGM talkies. I think one or possibly two things has happened: Buster was absolutely incredible in everything he did, and second....I have a crush on him!   [drunk]

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline falsealarms

I'd usually buy from Amazon, but if I buy this set, probably from bestbuy.com. At the time of this post, its on sale for 10.49 + SH /tax.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7704433&st=buster+keaton&lp=9&type=product&cp=1&id=1514486

Offline JazzBill

Get it. You won't be sorry.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

I have been debating to get this or not. I just got a set of a bunch of Buster stuff (mostly PD), but it has several of his Educational Pictures shorts on it. I have never seen any of those, and just figured that they really sucked for some reason. I was VERY surprised.

Buster has become my newest obsession, and everything I have seen of his I have really enjoyed, even "Free and Easy" and some of the other supposedly tedious MGM talkies. I think one or possibly two things has happened: Buster was absolutely incredible in everything he did, and second....I have a crush on him!   [drunk]

You like FREE AND EASY?  Wow, you might be a bigger fan than I!   ;D  A couple of the MGM talkies are OK, but overall, that's my least favorite Keaton era.

The only Keaton Educationals I've seen are the two on the KEATON PLUS DVD set.  Are there more available out there outside of specialty sites?  I've been dying to see more of those, but am exercising patience, as I've learned it's best to save things for a rainy day (doing the same thing with Lloyd's PROFESSOR BEWARE, which I've also never seen).
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

You like FREE AND EASY?  Wow, you might be a bigger fan than I!   ;D  A couple of the MGM talkies are OK, but overall, that's my least favorite Keaton era.

The only Keaton Educationals I've seen are the two on the KEATON PLUS DVD set.  Are there more available out there outside of specialty sites?  I've been dying to see more of those, but am exercising patience, as I've learned it's best to save things for a rainy day (doing the same thing with Lloyd's PROFESSOR BEWARE, which I've also never seen).

That is the DVD that I was referring to, with 'Allez Oop' and 'Jail Bait' being the Educational selections.

Yeah, I did like 'Free and Easy'!!! Buster kicks ass dancing, even in that outfit! He's better than any of the strangely dressed dancers!  I am begining to tire of the 'dumb Elmer' character that MGM seemed to think worked.

This image is reversed for some reason, but the first half is great!

[youtube=425,350]TlUwLCjQECk&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline falsealarms

The recommendations here were the final push to get me to order the set. For 14.xx total, can't really go wrong. The extras look really promising as well. This set definitely received better extra treatment than the new Stooge releases. Anything has received better extra treatment than the Stooge releases, but this set is packed with commentaries, a documentary, and a facsimile reproduction of the script for She's Oil Mine.

A common theme seems to be that Keaton's style was a poor fit for White's style. I'm not seeing Keaton at his peak, but I've had an increased interest in non-Stooge Columbia's lately.

Here's another review I found - quite informative: http://digitallyobsessed.com/showreview.php3?ID=8426

Offline metaldams

Falsealarms,

You had an interesting post I wanted to reply to here, but now it's in the "administrative" section only.  Did you do that?  If not, I'll see if we can revive the post.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Falsealarms,

You had an interesting post I wanted to reply to here, but now it's in the "administrative" section only.  Did you do that?  If not, I'll see if we can revive the post.

I actually deleted it for the time being. Was going to work it into a bigger post later on. But here it is ... and I'm looking forward to your reply.

My set came today (very quick). I've watched the first 5 of them and they are generally good.

The shorts I've watched so far -

His Ex Marks the Spot - Elsie Ames and Dorothy Appleby steal the show with a rather violent cat fight in the kitchen.

General Nuisance - The highlight here was a great hospital room scene towards the end that included people hanging and dangling from the ceiling and crashing down from the floor above. The quartermaster building from Boobs and Arms is used here. Another highlight was the nurse transporting an injured Keaton via a wheelbarrow, losing focus, only to see Keaton tumble off a cliff.

Mooching Through Georgia - A superior version of 1946's Uncivil Warbirds. Keaton and Collins mesh well. Seems like some of the same sets were used.

Nothing But Pleasure - Of the 4 so far, this is the best. Great from start to end and the scene with Keaton rolling down the street in a tire reminded me of the beer barrels from Three Little Beers.

Pardon My Berth Marks - These keep getting better. This is an excellent short, especially the "you bad girl" lines in the train. There wasn't a dull moment on that train.

Pest From The West - Just wasn't feeling this one.

6/10 through, I'd rank them:

1. Nothing But Pleasure
2. Pardon My Berth Marks
3. General Nuisance
4. His Ex Marks The Spot
5. Mooching Through Georgia
6. Pest From The West

Since I'm much more of a Stooge fan than a Keaton fan, perhaps that's why I like these so far. To some Keaton fans, these seem like the Besser's of his catalog:

"Viewing these films today is painful. They are embarrassingly bad. Everything is done in the wrong way, and nothing goes right."

That sounds like something most of us would say about the Stooge Besser's. But it's from a negative review of this set by a Keaton diehard.

Offline metaldams

I actually deleted it for the time being. Was going to work it into a bigger post later on. But here it is ... and I'm looking forward to your reply.

My set came today (very quick). I've watched the first 5 of them and they are generally good.

The shorts I've watched so far -

His Ex Marks the Spot - Elsie Ames and Dorothy Appleby steal the show with a rather violent cat fight in the kitchen.

General Nuisance - The highlight here was a great hospital room scene towards the end that included people hanging and dangling from the ceiling and crashing down from the floor above. The quartermaster building from Boobs and Arms is used here. Another highlight was the nurse transporting an injured Keaton via a wheelbarrow, losing focus, only to see Keaton tumble off a cliff.

Mooching Through Georgia - A superior version of 1946's Uncivil Warbirds. Keaton and Collins mesh well. Seems like some of the same sets were used.

Nothing But Pleasure - Of the 4 so far, this is the best. Great from start to end and the scene with Keaton rolling down the street in a tire reminded me of the beer barrels from Three Little Beers.

Pardon My Berth Marks - These keep getting better. This is an excellent short, especially the "you bad girl" lines in the train. There wasn't a dull moment on that train.

Pest From The West - Just wasn't feeling this one.

6/10 through, I'd rank them:

1. Nothing But Pleasure
2. Pardon My Berth Marks
3. General Nuisance
4. His Ex Marks The Spot
5. Mooching Through Georgia
6. Pest From The West

Since I'm much more of a Stooge fan than a Keaton fan, perhaps that's why I like these so far. To some Keaton fans, these seem like the Besser's of his catalog:

"Viewing these films today is painful. They are embarrassingly bad. Everything is done in the wrong way, and nothing goes right."

That sounds like something most of us would say about the Stooge Besser's. But it's from a negative review of this set by a Keaton diehard.

I too love PARDON MY BERTH MARKS!  It's definitely my favorite short in the collection, and a tad "naughty" by 1940 Hollywood standards.  Buster has a couple of good quiet bits in it and Vernon Dent's real good in this one. 

As for PEST FROM THE WEST, that's probably my second favorite short, and considered to be the best of the collection by most.  Classic storyline, and it's got Lorna Gray in her prime.

If you haven't done so yet, I would suggest watching the 25 minute documentary that's included on disc 2, BUSTER KEATON: FROM SILENTS TO SHORTS.  These films are indeed the "Bessers" of Keatons filmography to most fans.  I like most of these shorts myself because I'm also a Stooge fan and can appreciate these for what they are, but they're not Keaton at his best.  This is explained a bit in the documentary, and it also does a pretty good Cliff Notes run of Keaton's pre Columbia career, with TONS of great silent gag footage thrown in!  A modern day Lorna Gray also has a part in the documentary, talking about the classic Keaton "saved by the window" gag from STEAMBOAT BILL, JR. and ONE WEEK.  Also check out the audio commentaries.

Thanks for this thread, I'm going to rewatch these now.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I did watch the 25 min doc. It seemed to be well produced and was educational. Definitely going to listen to the commentaries, especially the ones by Ed Watz (he of the Columbia Comedy Shorts book). I've never gotten around to getting that, but Amazon and McFarland have it for 35.00. I believe a recent write-up of it in the 3S Journal gave it an A or A-.

Watched two more -

She's Oil Mine - Pretty good short, but the outdoor scenes at the end seemed to drag on a bit. Prior to those, not much to complain about. The opening scenes in the shop were great.  My mind went in the gutter when Monte Collins wanted to "tap that" after Elsie Ames gave him her card.

So You Won't Squak - Good from start to end. Great chase scene with the cops. The end where he shoots the pay phone was clever. Also... in the beginning, the building with the "Island Inn Cafe" sign looks a LOT like the building Moe, Larry and Curly Joe are walking out of in the "rare photo" from Journal 128. If you (or anyone re-watch these), maybe you can confirm/reject my suspicions.

I did read that Pest From The West is generally viewed as the cream of this crop.... so of course I think it's a clunker!

I've now watched 8/10 and these have comfortably exceeded my expectations.

Offline falsealarms

I've watched the final 2: The Spook Speaks and The Taming Of The Snood. The former was a bit average, nothing all that hot. The latter was pretty good - suspenseful at the very least. Rather rough scene in the living room with Keaton and Ames. The opening hat scene was good as well.

I'd rank them:

1. Nothing But Pleasure
2. Pardon My Berth Marks
3. General Nuisance
4. The Taming Of The Snood
5. So You Won't Squawk
6. She's Oil Mine
7. His Ex Marks The Spot
8. The Spook Speaks
9. Mooching Through Georgia
10. Pest From The West

Overall, I think these 10 shorts deserve a rock solid B.

Dog Hambone

Tolerance for silents or not I'd hope you've at least given silent Keaton, Chaplin, and Lloyd a chance.  If you have and don't care for them, to each their own, but if not, do yourself a favor and watch some of the great silent comedians.  The great silent comedians go over better than anything else of the silent era and I'd go as far to say that was the greatest era of film comedy ever. 

I couldn't agree more. Plus, I think falsealarms may find out he really enjoys the silent comedies once he sees these guys in action. And the stunts are amazing, even more so because these guys did not use stand-ins.

Offline archiezappa

I'd actually like to get this set.  I'm interested in seeing more of Columbia Pictures' Short Subjects.