Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Goofs not mentioned in the Stooge Info section

Offline Lefty

A different type of goof:  Closed Captioning.

I can understand the C.C. words being "Speaking Gibberish" for when the Stooges are making up sounds or using Yiddish words.  But for normal words, there were about a dozen goofs in the C.C. for "A Pain in the Pullman."  I disremember the vast majority, but maybe next time I'll write down everything -- or just skip using the C.C. when I watch the show.

Offline kinderscenen

Man, oh, MAN!  I would give a complete stranger's first born to actually get a correct spelling of the Yiddish words that they (especially Larry) throw about.  In "Mutts to You", (in a rather funny double take by Bud Jamison), he throws out something, but all I can get is (I think!) "I don't mean maybe!" Or "Stop bothering me..." 

But then, do I really expect correct captioning here, when I can turn on the evening news and see all sorts of unperfectly cromulent words being used.  I know it's speech recognition software nowadays, but damn!
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline ThunderStooge

Speaking of incorrect closed captions, YouTube's software is absolutely pathetic.  It's a goldmine!

"Wake up and Go ta sleep!"

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
In "Grips, Grunts and Groans" ... when the boys run into the Hangover Gym from the railroad guys, Moe is carrying the suitcase with his hand palm inward. In the next shot, Moe's hand is holding the case palm outward.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline middlenamewayne

Noone ever mentions the long-term continuity goofs here! Like:

In the Stooges' 1st fill-um, "Soup To Nuts" there are 4 of them (plus a boss man and a girl) - one with bangs, one with wild wavy hair, one with greasy wild straight hair and another who is... well, different. Then in "Nertzery Rhymes" the Stooges' fourth member is gone (along w/boss & gal) and the 3rd one has gotten much heftier and has almost no hair. Get this, too: all have normal skin tones, but in "Soup" previously, and later in "Plane Nuts" and most everything else up to "Snow White and the 3 Stooges" they all appear to be ashen-gray -- and everything and everyone around them is some bland shade of gray also! ("Snow White" is strange title to pick for the return of color, eh?) Still later, in "Hold That Lion" there are 4 again, including the fat one and the greasy ugly one, but almost immediately after, they're back down to 3 again, with the fat one absent.

That's not even the end of it, though! Abruptly, around the time of "Space Ship Sappy" or so the third one has gotten (sort of) fat and bald again, but has a different look and radically altered personality -- smarter but still juvenile in a sassy, irritating way. That doesn't last long, though -- by the time of "Have Rocket, Will Travel", he's ballooned up bigger than ever, and his IQ has dropped massively, but again there's a change; he's not so much demented as retarded (pardon the un-PC term). Finally, these three stop changing personality-wise, but weirdest of all, they first go from gray to pink/peach in their skin tones again, and finally -- they become more colorful, flat-looking, and have black outlines! (I could swear I saw them growing extended metal limbs once around this time, but I think my imagination ran away with me at that point!

- mnw

PS: Oh, yeah, one last thing: Whenever you see the Stooges in anything, try to check the date it was released. This will really blow your mind, but it's true... in their 1930s films they all look very young, in the 40s they look a little older, and so on. They continue to look older and move more slowly through the 50s, 60s, etc... until those very last appearances I mentioned, in which their ages are pretty much indeterminable.

Haven't seen them in anything since the 70s that I can think of (apart from weird brief cameos on such odd shows as Celebrity Deathmatch, SCTV, Family Guy, Carol Burnett Show, and like that). Did they retire? I heard something about a recent feature film and an upcoming new two-reeler, but haven't managed to catch either one...

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Noone ever mentions the long-term continuity goofs here! Like:

In the Stooges' 1st fill-um, "Soup To Nuts" there are 4 of them (plus a boss man and a girl) - one with bangs, one with wild wavy hair, one with greasy wild straight hair and another who is... well, different. Then in "Nertzery Rhymes" the Stooges' fourth member is gone (along w/boss & gal) and the 3rd one has gotten much heftier and has almost no hair. Get this, too: all have normal skin tones, but in "Soup" previously, and later in "Plane Nuts" and most everything else up to "Snow White and the 3 Stooges" they all appear to be ashen-gray -- and everything and everyone around them is some bland shade of gray also! ("Snow White" is strange title to pick for the return of color, eh?) Still later, in "Hold That Lion" there are 4 again, including the fat one and the greasy ugly one, but almost immediately after, they're back down to 3 again, with the fat one absent.

That's not even the end of it, though! Abruptly, around the time of "Space Ship Sappy" or so the third one has gotten (sort of) fat and bald again, but has a different look and radically altered personality -- smarter but still juvenile in a sassy, irritating way. That doesn't last long, though -- by the time of "Have Rocket, Will Travel", he's ballooned up bigger than ever, and his IQ has dropped massively, but again there's a change; he's not so much demented as retarded (pardon the un-PC term). Finally, these three stop changing personality-wise, but weirdest of all, they first go from gray to pink/peach in their skin tones again, and finally -- they become more colorful, flat-looking, and have black outlines! (I could swear I saw them growing extended metal limbs once around this time, but I think my imagination ran away with me at that point!

- mnw

PS: Oh, yeah, one last thing: Whenever you see the Stooges in anything, try to check the date it was released. This will really blow your mind, but it's true... in their 1930s films they all look very young, in the 40s they look a little older, and so on. They continue to look older and move more slowly through the 50s, 60s, etc... until those very last appearances I mentioned, in which their ages are pretty much indeterminable.

Haven't seen them in anything since the 70s that I can think of (apart from weird brief cameos on such odd shows as Celebrity Deathmatch, SCTV, Family Guy, Carol Burnett Show, and like that). Did they retire? I heard something about a recent feature film and an upcoming new two-reeler, but haven't managed to catch either one...

... long term continuity goofs ... (Black and White to Color/ Curley-Curly-Curly-Joe/ Curly-Shemp-Besser/ Young-Middle-Old/) ... that's a strange but acceptable concept

Offline PresidentWardRobey

A few "inconsistencies" I noticed in Slippery Silks.  The opening shot of two hands holding a photo of the Stooges.  The way it is shot, I am assuming it's meant to be from the police chief's perspective.  However, when the camera comes around to the front of the desk, the police chief is only holding the photo with his left hand while his right is resting on the desktop for that entire scene.

After the close up shot of Curly and Larry painting glue on the Chinese cabinet (and Moe's hands) the next camera shot shows all 3 Stooges.  You can see that Larry has "glue" on the side of his face that's facing the camera, but how did it get there?  That scene only shows Curly receiving an eye poke from Moe.

After running out of Romani's Woodwork Shop to get away from Mr. Morgan:  Moe and Larry (and eventually Curly) run past the lawyer and detectives in front of a corner drugstore and continue across the street.  When all the Stooges are rounded up (by both the detectives and the woman), I believe they are still in front of the same drugstore, just that the scene is shot around the corner from the original camera shot.  They show the detectives and lawyer running into the scene from left to right to nab Curly as if they ran across the street, but in reality, I don't think so.

Here's something I thought I saw in "Out West" (repeated in "Pals and Gals"):

When Moe is pouring the sarsaparilla for Shemp into what's supposed to be the last empty glass on the tray, look closely at the glass behind the one he pours into. Before it gets hidden by the dark drink that Moe's pouring, that one can be seen to be empty as well!

Or was I seeing things?
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Lefty

In several shorts, a newspaper is shown with various articles with statements about how someone or something did something, etc., so as not to point out real people.  In "Hold That Lion," where Shemp is reading the newspaper about the Ambrose Rose estate, check out the blurb above it with the title "Eager to Aid in War."  The lines seem to have been put in from random statements here and there.  "Anna laid her wonderful" is at the end of it.  Also, in the article to the left, a person named Carl Smith from Duncannon, PA is listed, which goes against the aforementioned anonymity situation.

Speaking of which, rolling up the sidewalks as it were, from that place's website:
"Duncannon Borough will be closed on Wednesday afternoon, December 24 and Christmas Day, December 25, 2014".

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
One thing I notice watching Brideless Groom: Shemp doesn't appear to know his Uncle Caleb passed... yet how would he know the reading of the will was 6 o'clock the night before last? EDIT: Never mind, Moe said it, not Shemp.

Also, in A Plumbing We Will Go, when Larry and Curly fall out of the plumbing truck, Curly's hat falls off, and then when it cuts back to them getting up ("Hey! Why don't you call your stops?!"), Curly's hat is back on his head!
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Pest Mans Wins: There are cats inside the piano (when Vernon Dent is playing "On the Beautiful Blue Danube").  The cats are playing notes, messing up Dent's performance.

GOOF: When Shemp, and then Moe and Larry, climb on the piano to get the cats out, they slam the keys of the piano violently, yet no sound comes out.
#1 fire kibitzer

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Not a real goof ... but an apt observation. The episode "Muscle Up a Little Closer" has Joe falling and breaking a case of eggs. He sits up and has eggshells on his nose and forehead. He wipes them off saying, "Raw eggs, I HATE raw eggs!" The following scenes have Joe with two eggshell remnants on his forehead until the scene where the boys are in the gym exercising. My point is ... WHY did filmmakers spend so much time on that detail when countless nitpicks in the past revealed an almost abandon for visual continuity in Three Stooged shorts?

Offline StoogeMania

In Disorder in the Court, Curly is playing Jacks, and messes up the Tic-Tac-Toe game as he picked up all the jacks. If you look closely, there's one jack left close to Moe's knee. After the cut to the attorney, the jack is suddenly missing.
Also, when Curly and Larry are playing a tune on Moe, the correct name of thr tune is Ach Du Lieber, Augustine", (in English, Oh, My Dear, Augustine), a German nursery song.