Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

MGM Pumps New Blood in to Farrelly Stooges Movie

Offline The 4th Stooge

Metaldams, I am indeed female, and a 4th generation Stooge fan, loud and proud.  Stooge nuts on both my mother's AND father's side of the family.  My paternal great-grandmother was a HUGE fan, which sort of blows away the whole "women don't like the Stooges" myth.

Offline metaldams

My paternal great-grandmother was a HUGE fan, which sort of blows away the whole "women don't like the Stooges" myth.

An ex-girlfriend almost disowned me when I showed her A PLUMBING WE WILL GO.  [pie]

More power to you, Mar-Jean, Curlysdame, and Sten (if she's reading).
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

An ex-girlfriend almost disowned me when I showed her A PLUMBING WE WILL GO.  [pie]

More power to you, Mar-Jean, Curlysdame, and Sten (if she's reading).

Maybe you can email my Mom and tell her to put me back in the will!

She just puts her hand on her forehead and shakes her head, which is something she should be used to by now!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Larry Larry

...Sorry for the rant, but the thought of ANOTHER crappy bio-pic that this time is stamped with the Farrelly Bros. name is too much to bear.

If you look at the article which is linked at the beginning of this thread, it will not be a bio-pic.

However, they state that it will contain a 20:00 minute segment featuring what no Stooge fan has ever requested:  the Three Stooges at 7 year olds! 
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Couldn't agree more bro...or is that sis?  You can't tell on these boards!  Anywho...welcome to the board.

By the way, did you know the movie they would've made with Emil Sitka that the Ritz Brothers did end up making was R rated?

Blazing Stewardesses was actually rated X at the time and probably adjusted to R as the years have gone by and X was dropped (see A Clockwork Orange and Midnight Cowboy for other examples).
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Good to see you too, Metal! That's okay if some old-timers don't remember me. *sniff*  [cry]*

I seem to remember you, Giff-me. Didn't you used to post at Stoogeworld and/or the old C3 board?

At least I remember you Sten :P.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
... did you know the movie they would've made with Emil Sitka that the Ritz Brothers did end up making was R rated?

Blazing Stewardesses was actually rated X at the time and probably adjusted to R as the years have gone by and X was dropped (see A Clockwork Orange and Midnight Cowboy for other examples).

For anyone interested, BLAZING STEWARDESSES (1975) has an entry in the Filmography.

The DVD of BLAZING STEWARDESSES has a commentary track with some interesting 3 Stooges background from producer Sam Sherman.  A copy of the original Stooges-version of the script exists, and from that and the DVD commentary, I put together a "Hidden Hollywood" installment for the Journal covering this almost-was piece of Stooges history... it should be in a not-too-distant future issue.

Offline metaldams

For anyone interested, BLAZING STEWARDESSES (1975) has an entry in the Filmography.

The DVD of BLAZING STEWARDESSES has a commentary track with some interesting 3 Stooges background from producer Sam Sherman.  A copy of the original Stooges-version of the script exists, and from that and the DVD commentary, I put together a "Hidden Hollywood" installment for the Journal covering this almost-was piece of Stooges history... it should be in a not-too-distant future issue.

As crazy as it seems, I've never thought to check out BLAZING STEWARDESSES.  Thanks for the heads up on the DVD and commentary, I just may do so.  I'll have to make sure to check out that article as well.

It would've been very interesting if the Stooges were not a kids act in the Derita era and even more so if they made films for a few years longer once the production code was done away with.  As things stand in reality, I completely understand why they did become a kids act, as their popularity with children on television dictated it's best they make films of that nature.  Moe and the boys knew where their bread was buttered and deserved the big pay day after all those years of hard work.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
It would've been very interesting if the Stooges were not a kids act in the Derita era and even more so if they made films for a few years longer once the production code was done away with.  As things stand in reality, I completely understand why they did become a kids act, as their popularity with children on television dictated it's best they make films of that nature. 

Their aborted 1971 project, MAKE LOVE NOT WAR (aka MAKE MINE MANILA), would have stretched things for the Stooges... introducing dark humor, risque situations, and a liberal sprinkling of graphic violence.  This film never went further than a script and pre-production meetings... but the script exists.  A detailed look at it will also be part of the aforementioned Journal article.

Offline archiezappa

Yeah, I would love to have seen the Stooges with Emil Sitka as the middle Stooge.  He was so funny as a supporting player!  He would have been a great fit for the Stooges.  Sort of a cross between Shemp and Larry. 

This would have been interesting to see some of the gags that would have worked with Emil being so much taller than Moe.  Moe could tell Curly-Joe to get him a stool.  Then, Moe would stand up on the stool just to smack Emil across the face.  And when Curly-Joe would laugh, then Moe could bop him on the top of the head with his fist.  The possibilities are limitless!

As for the Farrelly Bros. . . They should submit their script here on the forum and let us all critique it.  So, if they do go forward with this project, maybe we can keep it from sucking so bad.

I did say "maybe."

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
As for the Farrelly Bros. . . They should submit their script here on the forum and let us all critique it. 

The Farrellys' script was finished back in 2004, as reported in New Yorker Magazine.  The management of C3 signed off on it.

Fans' input is not, and never was, a consideration.

Offline The 4th Stooge

I ranted so much over the Farrelly fiasco that I forgot it's not a bio-pic, and I forgot to comment on The Jet Set/Blazing Stewardesses possibilities.  Now, I'm of 2 minds--if I recall correctly, the Ritz Bros. ended up playing very fey hairdressers and just not being that funny. I hope that that was changed because of the unavailability of the Stooges, because I just don't see the stereotypical gay hairdresser type coming from those three.  Now, sadistic, crazed, "I know what hairdo you should have better than YOU do," type of hairdresser? Perfect.

It is too bad that they were too old to get around the whole "Will someone PLEASE think of the children?!" era.  The 70s could've opened up a whole new campy cult audience for them, since nostalgia was already rampant, and to have yet another generation see the Stooges in a totally different (more adult) setting would've been great.  That, and I would've had a Stooges picture that came out the year I was born, too.  My sister got stuck with Kook's Tour.  At least I'd have gotten an R or X-rated picture!  >:D

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
... if I recall correctly, the Ritz Bros. ended up playing very fey hairdressers, and just not being that funny.

They did not; the Ritz's played it straight, and were cast as resort handymen (as described in this site's BLAZING STEWARDESSES filmography entry).

Moe, Joe and Emil were intended to play the resort's hairdresser, masseur and manicurist; no mention at all in the script that it was to be done as "fey," just implied stooge-like.

The Ritz's were funny in the film, assuming you appreciate the Ritz Brothers.  Minus late brother Al, Jimmy and Harry performed portions of their vaudeville/Broadway act, particularly their synchronized dance routine... first done on film in SING, BABY, SING (1936), and for the older among us, that's the dance routine you may have seen them do on '50s and '60s TV variety showcases like THE ED SULLIVAN SHOW.

Offline JazzBill

I guess I would rather watch some new Three Stooge related material, even if it's lousy, than watch none at all. Besides, if it sucks real bad, ( like it probably will ) it will give us plenty things to talk about over here.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

It is too bad that they were too old to get around the whole "Will someone PLEASE think of the children?!" era.  The 70s could've opened up a whole new campy cult audience for them, since nostalgia was already rampant, and to have yet another generation see the Stooges in a totally different (more adult) setting would've been great.  That, and I would've had a Stooges picture that came out the year I was born, too.  My sister got stuck with Kook's Tour.  At least I'd have gotten an R or X-rated picture!  >:D

I can understand the Columbia features and even enjoy them in their own camp kind of way (especially Hercules), but the very line of reasoning above is why I'm perplexed about KOOK'S TOUR.  I do understand they were older and perhaps wanted to settle down, but I have no clue what audience they were aiming for.  Certainly not me.  By 1969/1970, they could've been a tad edgier without resorting to flat-out smut, or at least broke new ground in their comedy in some way.  Maybe they just figured they had nothing to prove anymore?

Then again, maybe judging by what Brent's telling us with these scripts, they perhaps would've went in a more modern direction.  If Larry remained healthy, perhaps somebody like Mel Brooks would've used the boys in one of his films the way he did the Ritz Brothers.  That's the kind of comedy direction that would've made sense.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

A DVD trailer of interest.

[youtube=425,350]upd50q26VqE[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline kinderscenen

They did not; the Ritz's played it straight, and were cast as resort handymen (as described in this site's BLAZING STEWARDESSES filmography entry).

Moe, Joe and Emil were intended to play the resort's hairdresser, masseur and manicurist; no mention at all in the script that it was to be done as "fey," just implied stooge-like.

The Ritz's were funny in the film, assuming you appreciate the Ritz Brothers.  Minus late brother Al, Jimmy and Harry performed portions of their vaudeville/Broadway act, particularly their synchronized dance routine... first done on film in SING, BABY, SING (1936), and for the older among us, that's the dance routine you may have seen them do on '50s and '60s TV variety showcases like THE ED SULLIVAN SHOW.

See, now, this is why I come here--I could've sworn on a stack of Stroke of Luck books that they were supposed to be playing fey, and I can't remember if I read that in a book (I doubt it, because I've already looked it up) or if it was a DVD review site.

An interesting word, "fey," you'd often see Larry do something like that (Mutts To You), or (Slippery Silks), but as we've all noticed, it wasn't seen with the venemence as Besser's portrayal was, and he wasn't even playing a fey character!  We all know it was a childish, sissified character (which didn't mean gay).  Why they even asked Ed Bernds whether or not Besser was gay is beyond me.  And let's not get into the whole "fat" thing fans get into, while forgetting their favorite Stooge was far from slim (in his prime).

Damn, got my username back, and I'm all over the place.  Sorry! :-[
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'll be viewing Blazing Stewardesses soon and hoping to post a review of the film afterwards. I'm glad to see everything worked out, Sunday.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
OK, for anyone interested I posted a review of Blazing Stewardesses on its filmography page.

I have a question, Brent. Since you've seen the Three Stooges script of the film, do you have any idea which Stooge would have done the "golf lesson" and "resuscitation" scenes?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
OK, for anyone interested I posted a review of Blazing Stewardesses on its filmography page.

I have a question, Brent. Since you've seen the Three Stooges script of the film, do you have any idea which Stooge would have done the "golf lesson" and "resuscitation" scenes?

None... those were were reworkings of Ritz bits from some of their films.

The Stooges would have done their own material, except one scene written specifically for their characters.

Offline Larry Larry

Perhaps a different thread should be started for Blazing Stewardesses or the Ritz Brothers........

Anyway, heres new info:  from Variety about the Stooge movie directed by the Farrelly Brothers:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117995188.html?categoryid=1236&cs=1

Peter Farrelly says:  "We know this is extremely difficult to pull off; we realize some Stooges fans will be upset no matter what we do".  

I'm still concerned that what they will "do" is add scenes of Larry, Moe and Curly with bathroom humor.

If we don't like it, at least we can just watch their other upcoming new film that Variety reports, "Walter the Farting Dog".  ::)
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Perhaps a different thread should be started for Blazing Stewardesses or the Ritz Brothers........

Anyway, heres new info:  from Variety about the Stooge movie directed by the Farrelly Brothers:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117995188.html?categoryid=1236&cs=1

Peter Farrelly says:  "We know this is extremely difficult to pull off; we realize some Stooges fans will be upset no matter what we do".  

I'm still concerned that what they will "do" is add scenes of Larry, Moe and Curly with bathroom humor.

If we don't like it, at least we can just watch their other upcoming new film that Variety reports, "Walter the Farting Dog".  ::)

I don't know why you're so hung up on "bathroom humor". If expertly done I think "bathroom humor" can be funny. My issue is that you cannot bring back The Three Stooges and make it palatable without the Howard Brothers and Fine, the last of whom died 33 years ago. It's got "tank" written all over it just like the vast majority of retreads like The Honeymooners movie a couple of years ago. I really just wish they would leave the legacy of the Stooges be, especially after having to withstand such bullshit like the 2000 Mel Gibson TV movie. With that said I'm not going to sit on a moral high horse and hope they don't have these pseudo-Stooges farting or jizzing. It doesn't matter what they do or don't do, this movie is going to suck.

Offline Hammond Eggar

I, too, hope this fim stays strictly in the planing stages.  Even though Russell Crowe and Mel Gibson are fine actors, they would be totally out of place in a Stooges film.  All six Stoogs are gone.  If we really need a Stooges feature film, why not re-release some shorts into theaters?  It would serve as promotion for the DVD sets, and give second and third-generation fans a chance to see the Stooges the way they were intended, on the BIG SCREEN.  I am glad to see MGM getting involved.  At least that company has a legitimate connection to the Stooges' history.

As a kid growing up in the 1980s, I can recall my mother taking me to a local theater to see Stoogemania.  For all it's faults, the film served as a tribute to the boys without actually trying to recreate a brand new version of the Stooges.  The Three Stooges will always be Moe, Larry, Curly, Shemp and the two Joes, Besser and DeRita.  Crowe and Gibson are NOT Stooges, and neither is Jack Black or Larry David.  The only person I could ever imagine playing a Stooge is Billy West.  He does a great impression of Larry.  It's hard to find comic actors who impersonate Mr. Fine, but Billy has it down pat.  That said, he's probably too old to be considered for the role.  Plus, he isn't a marquee name, so he probably won't be considered.  I've always thought they should stick with unknowns.  Marquee names bring too much history to the film.  It's the same with the dramatic 9/11 film United 93.  Almost all of the passengers on the plane were unknown actors.  Having a big name would have been distracting to the story being told.  It's a similar situation with a Stooges recreation.   If it must be done, and it appears, unfortunately, that it must, they should stick with unknowns.  I still wish they'd abandon this ill-fated project.  Give it a rest, guys! ::)
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Hammond Eggar

Their aborted 1971 project, MAKE LOVE NOT WAR (aka MAKE MINE MANILA), would have stretched things for the Stooges... introducing dark humor, risque situations, and a liberal sprinkling of graphic violence.  This film never went further than a script and pre-production meetings... but the script exists.  A detailed look at it will also be part of the aforementioned Journal article.

I remember reading years ago that there was a film in the works (at least planned) with a plot that had Curly-Joe becoming the world's first pregnant man.  This was several years before the Billy Crystal atrosity, Rabbit Test.  The Stooges project would have featured Sitka in Larry's role.  Is this in any way connected to the film you referenced, Make Love Not War?  Personally, I'm glad the 'pregnant man' storyline was never used.  That sounds a bit too creepy for my taste.  :P
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline metaldams

I remember reading years ago that there was a film in the works (at least planned) with a plot that had Curly-Joe becoming the world's first pregnant man.  This was several years before the Billy Crystal atrosity, Rabbit Test.  The Stooges project would have featured Sitka in Larry's role.  Is this in any way connected to the film you referenced, Make Love Not War?  Personally, I'm glad the 'pregnant man' storyline was never used.  That sounds a bit too creepy for my taste.  :P

Would've been really freaky if the kids turned out to be lawyers.
- Doug Sarnecky