Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Volume 3 Comparison Screenshots

Guest · 21 · 6139

xraffle

Below are comparison screenshots I made with the episodes on Volume 3. ThumpTheShoes already gave us screenshots of "So Long Mr. Chumps" on the other thread. However, it would be nice to get all the screenshots on one page, so I took the liberty of adding those here as well. I hope you all see a difference because I certainly do.  ;D

Rockin' Thru The Rockies
"Healthy, Wealthy And Dumb" DVD
Volume 3 DVD

A Plumbing We Will Go
"Curly Classics" DVD
Volume 3 DVD

All The World's A Stooge
"All The World's A Stooge" DVD
Volume 3 DVD

Even As IOU
VHS release
Volume 3 DVD

So Long Mr. Chumps (screenshots by ThumpTheShoes)
VHS release
Volume 3 DVD

Offline locoboymakesgood

Holy shit. Night and freaking day.

I love these x, post more if you can!! ;D
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

Nice work. The more the merrier, indeed.

Rockin Thru is pretty close to call, but the others are clearly superior on volume 3. They especially did wonders with A Plumbing We Will Go. Look at Moe's face especially.

Offline Stooges#1

Offline Justin T

WOW, Damn what an amazing job Sony did restoring these shorts. I'm with Loco, it's
night and day!

Plumbing looks freaking great compared to the previous prints. Can't wait to watch
it!

Thanks for posting these X.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline archiezappa

I agree totally.  Just like night and day.  These new releases are superior to anything we've seen previously on TV, VHS or DVD.  Again, these are well beyond my expectations.

Offline luke795

Did anyone do a comparison of Volumes 1 and 2 dvd sets?

xraffle

Rockin Thru is pretty close to call, but the others are clearly superior on volume 3.

Yeah, the screenshots don't do a great job of showing the difference between the two versions of Rockin' Thru The Rockies. But, in my opinion, the new Volume 3 print is far superior to the previous release. On the older DVD, that short looked very whitish. On the new Volume 3 DVD, the picture has much better shades of gray and looks much more pristine.

Also, on the screenshots, you'll notice that the older prints look more zoomed in. On this new DVD, we are finally getting the full picture.

By the way, when I went to New York's J&R electronic store to buy this set, they were selling a ton of the older DVD releases for a sale price of $6.99. So, for those of you who live in New York and still want those themed DVDs, now is your chance to grab one for a cheap price.

Offline Justin T

Yeah, the screenshots don't do a great job of showing the difference between the two versions of Rockin' Thru The Rockies. But, in my opinion, the new Volume 3 print is far superior to the previous release. On the older DVD, that short looked very whitish. On the new Volume 3 DVD, the picture has much better shades of gray and looks much more pristine.

Also, on the screenshots, you'll notice that the older prints look more zoomed in. On this new DVD, we are finally getting the full picture.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I like that we get the whole picture now. Never realised it before untill I looked at the comparison shots.
I can't wait to see what they have done with Micro-Phonies on Volume 4
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline locoboymakesgood

Micro-Phonies, being one of my favorite Curly's (as well as his best during his illness) REALLY needs a good cleanup. The Curly Classics versions looks almost as good as my Family Channel VHS tapings. That's sad.

Can't wait to see it in Volume 4.

xraffle

Micro-Phonies, being one of my favorite Curly's (as well as his best during his illness) REALLY needs a good cleanup. The Curly Classics versions looks almost as good as my Family Channel VHS tapings. That's sad.

Can't wait to see it in Volume 4.

I know. What's funny is that it's one of the later Curly shorts, so you'd think the quality would be good. I hope this isn't due to the fact that the original negative was lost or destroyed.

Offline falsealarms

Some parts of Three Little Pirates are just as much in need of repair.

xraffle

Some parts of Three Little Pirates are just as much in need of repair.

This is probably why Volume 5 hasn't been announced yet. They're probably still working on that short. There's vertical lines running through the picture on the second half of that short. That's a lot of work.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I wonder if they can fix the atrocious editing of Beer Barrel Polecats. ;D

xraffle

I wonder if they can fix the atrocious editing of Beer Barrel Polecats. ;D

I hope not. As messed up as the short is, that was the way it was originally shown in theaters.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I hope not. As messed up as the short is, that was the way it was originally shown in theaters.
No shit. ;D

One of the biggest complaints we have about BBP is the awful editing done to splice together a 17-minute short.

xraffle

No shit. ;D

One of the biggest complaints we have about BBP is the awful editing done to splice together a 17-minute short.

Yeah, I know. The stooges get arrested for selling beer and while they're in jail, they're suddenly helping Convict #41144 to escape. [confused2]

xraffle

When I was watching "In The Sweet Pie and Pie" and "Loco Boy Makes Good," there are certain parts that look like it was spliced from two different prints. The quality is not bad or anything. You'll just notice that the black and white tone changes when the camera cuts sometimes. This is not a positive nor a negative thing, but I just thought I'd point that out. This probably was done because certain parts of the original negative were destroyed or something.

I'll be getting off from work early today, so I should have plenty of time to finish the set later today and that makes me happy. So far, I don't have any complaints about this set.

xraffle

Since these screenshots look very nice when comparing them side by side, I decided to change my Volume 1 and 2 screenshots to this format. Here are the links to Volumes 1 and 2, in case any of you want to check it out. You will notice that the comparison shots on Volume 1 don't look as significant as Volumes 2 and 3. As each Volume comes out, Sony seems to be improving, which is a good sign.

Volume 1
Volume 2

Offline Cole

Hello everyone, newbie here. My daughter just loves Curly; she is 7 years old. Was wondering if anyone could show me where to get PC wallpaper of the Curly doing the "Mammy, this is your boy Sammy from Alabamy" bit from All the worlds a stooge?

Take care,

Cole