Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Stooges Collection Vol. III 1940-42

ThumpTheShoes

I picked mine up on the way home from work, today. I've just had a quick run-through and the shorts do look perfectly pristine! I'd actually forgotten how bad some of the older Columbia VHS releases looked-- like, "So Long Mr. Chumps" for example:
Old, VHS edition:

New DVD sweetness:

'S-gonna be a Stoogie night here!

xraffle

Thanks for the screenshots Thump. Boy, "So Long Mr. Chumps" looks great on the new DVD. I'll be heading to the store in ten minutes to pick up my DVD. I can't wait.

Offline Sadistic Stooge

Damn! I cant get mine till Friday . That's when pay day is ......

Offline falsealarms

Even as IOU was the first one I watched today - and it was a lot better than I remembered it being. The ending was kind of lame, but overall, a very solid Curly short and maybe somewhat of an underrated classic. It probably falls into the underrated category because it's likely one of the least-seen Curly's. Not on DVD prior to this, and if I recall, one of the missing 60 on TV.

Looking good sales wise too -

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #20 in Movies & TV (See Bestsellers in Movies & TV)

Popular in these categories: (What's this?)
#1 in     Movies & TV > Comedy > Parody & Spoof > Three Stooges
#1 in     Movies & TV > Television > Funny Families
#3 in     Movies & TV > Comedy > Series & Sequels

dvd empire: 4th on the current bestsellers list

deepdiscount: 18th most purchased dvd

xraffle

I just got my DVD set today and I skimmed through the shorts. I have one word to say about it: WOW!!! I am extremely impressed at the way these look. Not only did Sony do a great job restoring the picture, they did a great job with the sound too. Even "Three Smart Saps" now sounds much clearer than it did on the previous DVD release. Now spread out and let me watch this magnificent set.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Wow!  The difference in those shots is amazing!  I've never been really conscious of the blurry appearance of the old VHS releases (probably because I've been extremely near-sighted all my life, so I'm used to things looking blurry), but the crisp, clean look of the shorts in the new DVD collection just blows me away!

Thanks for posting those comparison pictures, Thump.  Good work!   [thumbleft]

Offline falsealarms

Watched Sock A Bye Baby - It was okay, but not much better than that. The baby seemed more annoying than cute and some of the stuff seemed a little too forced. The police chase at the end was the best portion of the short.

What's the Matador - Great short just like it always was. The actor who played Jose had an especially strong performance. Not many qualms about this short, which is far superior to Sappy Bullfighters.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I just got back from Best Buy. For a change of pace, mine actually got it in AND I had a 10% off coupon.. so it only came to $19.xx with tax. I'm watching In the Sweet Pie and Pie now, and it's miles over the Stooges and the Law disc.

Excellent set again. Just a little over a month until Volume Four!!!
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

Loco Boy Makes Good - What a great short - in the upper tier of the Curly's. I haven't seen this one in several years, but I was reminded why I like it so much. Fast pace, good gags, and a GREAT performance from Eddie Laughton.

Offline Justin T

Loco Boy Makes Good - What a great short - in the upper tier of the Curly's. I haven't seen this one in several years, but I was reminded why I like it so much. Fast pace, good gags, and a GREAT performance from Eddie Laughton.

That's one of my favorites too, can't wait to watch it again.

So far i've watched You Natzy Spy! and So Long Mr.Chumps. Chumps was alot better then I remember
and the restoration was AMAZING. Glad Thump showed that with those comparison screen shots.
I've never seen it look this good. Hell even Natzy was nice, bright and clear.

This set rocks!
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline archiezappa

First off, kudos to Walmart for carrying these sets.  I've been able to get every set on the release date at my local Walmart.  Awesome.

So far, I've watched "You Nazty Spy," "Rockin' Thru The Rockies" and "A Plumbing We Will Go."  These look way better than ever before.  When the opening titles of "You Nazty Spy" came on, I was just completely blown away by the clarity.  I was expecting restored, but this is better than I expected!  These old films are as good as new!  Sony has done and is doing an excellent job with our boys.  I can't wait until I have all of the sets!

Offline Justin T

Last night before I went to bed I did my own mini-marathon of the shorts on disk 1 in order, I watched from
You Natzy Spy! right through to Boobs In Arms. The picture quality still bows me away.
Plumbers and Mr Chumps esp looked fantastic compared to the previous prints.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Lefty

It's heeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrre!  For the previous sets, the arrival days were Saturday, then Friday.  Now Volume 3 has arrived today.  Seems we missed a day.  At this pace, I should get the final DVD, oh, about a week before I order it.  LOL

This evening I plan to watch the last two shows of Volume 2 (Oily To Bed, Oily To Rise; and Three Sappy People); then I can get going with Volume 3.

Offline ArPharazon

Not taking anything away from the remastering, which is fantastic, but isn't a paused screenshot from a VHS tape going to look blurrier that if it were running?  I haven't owned a VHS player in 8+ years, so maybe they look better paused than they used to.

xraffle

Not taking anything away from the remastering, which is fantastic, but isn't a paused screenshot from a VHS tape going to look blurrier that if it were running?  I haven't owned a VHS player in 8+ years, so maybe they look better paused than they used to.

These VHS copies were transferred to DVD. Then we took the screenshots from the DVD.

xraffle

Ok, I was just watching "In The Sweet Pie and Pie" and I noticed something interesting. On the older copies I've seen, the reused dancing lesson scene was slightly edited in this short starting when the fly goes into the woman's dress. However, in this set, that part is complete. Interesting. I trust that these were transferred from the original negatives so this is probably the correct version.

AmalgamatedMoron

Ok, I was just watching "In The Sweet Pie and Pie" and I noticed something interesting. On the older copies I've seen, the reused dancing lesson scene was slightly edited in this short starting when the fly goes into the woman's dress. However, in this set, that part is complete. Interesting. I trust that these were transferred from the original negatives so this is probably the correct version.

Thanks for the info X.  I will have to go back and check that out myself.

Offline jailbee

Has anyone noticed that Larry has a bad limp in "You Natzy Spy"?
Also,
did Curly call Larry "Kenny" at some point?

Offline Stooges#1

Has anyone noticed that Larry has a bad limp in "You Natzy Spy"?
Also,
did Curly call Larry "Kenny" at some point?

He injured his leg before filming and that is why he is seen limping. Funnily enough Joseph Goebbels who Larry is mocking walked with a limp since he had "club foot". So for people who know about Joseph's condition, but not the injury suffered by Larry before filming will just assume that that was the reason Larry was limping.

As for your "Kenny" question, i havent seen this short in years and dont have the set yet so i cant check but perhaps someone else can help you out.

Offline jailbee

I checked again,and Curly says something that sounds like"Thanks,Kenny",after Larry hands him a golf club.

xraffle

I just got back from Best Buy today and they had about 10 copies of Volume 3. Well I'm glad they're carrying more copies now. I guess this is a sign that these new sets are selling really well.

Offline Sadistic Stooge

I too got my copy of vol 3 on Friday at best buy and I was happy to see they had like 10 copies as well . I hope Ill find vol 4 as easy in Oct .

Offline Stooges#1

Im happy to hear that Best Buy are stocking the new set which means that it is popular. I hope more and more stores are going to stock volume 4 until the series is finished.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I just got back from Best Buy today and they had about 10 copies of Volume 3. Well I'm glad they're carrying more copies now. I guess this is a sign that these new sets are selling really well.
That's awesome. Mine only had two, but that's two more than they had of Volume 1 and 2.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)