Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Stooges Movie (2000)

Guest · 12 · 5421

AmalgamatedMoron

I came across what looks to be a decent bootleg of the 2000 made for TV movie, THE THREE STOOGES.  I have always wanted a copy of this, but is seems there's no interest by the owners to make it available on DVD.  I believe there was a limited VHS release.  Anyone know about that?  If anyone has a copy available to sell, please let me know.  Otherwise, I may purchase this one, from ioffer.com.

Offline Stooges#1

I watched it a while ago, it was alright. After doing some web searching i didnt know this at the time but the actor who played Curly is Michael Chiklis who plays the lead role in The Shield.

Sorry to have rambled on, cant help you pal. I checked Amazon and they dont sell it. Maybe eBay, someone could have a copy?

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I watched it a while ago, it was alright. After doing some web searching i didnt know this at the time but the actor who played Curly is Michael Chiklis who plays the lead role in The Shield.

He also plays Ben Grimm, "The Thing", in the Fantastic Four movies.   ;)

Offline Stooges#1

Oh yeah, he does too. You see, i was too busy looking at Jessica Alba to have noticed him.  :laugh:

AmalgamatedMoron

Indeed he did, Rob.  He did a damn fine job I might add (I love comic book movies, I'm a comic junkie).  I believe he also received a lot of praise for his portrayal of Curly, if I'm not mistaken.  I wish one of the TV stations would run this Stooges movie so I can record it myself.  That would be nice.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I came across what looks to be a decent bootleg of the 2000 made for TV movie, THE THREE STOOGES.

Yes, bootleg.

I believe there was a limited VHS release.  Anyone know about that? 

Not a commercial release.  The VHS was privately distributed by Sony/Columbia to members of the Television Academy, to promote Chiklis for Emmy nomination consideration.

Many Academy members did leak their unwanted copies to eBay and the collector market, and those tapes still show up  (but much less in recent years, especially since crackdowns by the movie/television academies, SAG and AFTRA, following the Carmine Caridi incident.)

Otherwise, I may purchase this one, from ioffer.com.

The ioffer link states that the copy was recorded from AMC.  AMC ran an edited version; about 10 minutes cut.

AmalgamatedMoron

Not a commercial release.  The VHS was privately distributed by Sony/Columbia to members of the Television Academy, to promote Chiklis for Emmy nomination consideration.

Many Academy members did leak their unwanted copies to eBay and the collector market, and those tapes still show up  (but much less in recent years, especially since crackdowns by the movie/television academies, SAG and AFTRA, following the Carmine Caridi incident.)

Thank you for the info Brent.  I did hear something about that "private" VHS tape, but I wasn't sure of the details.  I will have to look around for one of those, or a copy of one anyway.

The ioffer link states that the copy was recorded from AMC.  AMC ran an edited version; about 10 minutes cut.

Thanks for the heads up on that.  I hate edited cinema.  I always prefer to see what the director shot.  Then I can make up my own mind if it would be better without the added material (though AMC probably did the edit for time reasons, which is another reason not to watch movies on TV).  First, I will look around for a copy with the complete, unedited movie.  But given the scarcity, I may have to settle for this bootleg.

Offline archiezappa

Oh yeah, I remember watching it on AMC.  That was after I had already seen it on ABC.  AMC royally butchered the movie, those fiends.  You'd think they would have had a little more respect, considering they used to run the Stooges short subjects all the time.

Offline The 4th Stooge

Wow, am I ever late on this, but better late than never.  I recorded this movie, along with an interview with Joan Howard Maurer on "Good Morning America" (I think).  The movie made me look like the stereotypical person who yells at the movie screen in the theatres.  Okay, I don't expect things to be "perfect," but damn, having Larry not remember a very simple line (I forget which one) when they were traveling to Philadelphia during their comeback was atrocious.  If anything, Larry would've been the best of the three to ad lib something, and...whatever, there was soooo much wrong that I'd be here all day nitpicking.  But to have the fellows wear their gag haircuts in real life? Come ON!  Why not have had them wear the crappy suits they wore in the shorts in real life too?

I also wish that I had a bootleg or that they'd show it again.  I made the mistake of recording it on a 20 year old videotape, and of course, we know what happens to old tapes...they inevitably break.

Mel Gibson, of all people, to produce a film about 5 Jewish comedians (and 1 Scotch-Irish), and a script that a crack-addled monkey could've written while throwing feces at a keyboard.  I haven't seen a biopic this bad since that one of Elvis.

Offline FineBari3

.  Okay, I don't expect things to be "perfect," but damn, having Larry not remember a very simple line (I forget which one) when they were traveling to Philadelphia during their comeback was atrocious. 

Remember, in the made for TV movie, their "comeback" took place in Boston, not Philadelphia, and certainly NOT in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is where their initial comeback began. It was at the train station in Pittsburgh that they realized that the VIP's that the crowds were waiting for were indeed themselves. (Much like the Beatles landing in NY; they thought the President might have been landing there at the same time).

I enjoyed the ABC movie, even though a lot of it was made up and twisted. Hell, I love "The Glenn Miller Story" too, and that was pretty much all made up. About all they got right was that Glenn Miller played trombone and had a band and died in WWII.  It doesn't matter to me, and I still cry when I watch it.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline JazzBill

Remember, in the made for TV movie, their "comeback" took place in Boston, not Philadelphia, and certainly NOT in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is where their initial comeback began. It was at the train station in Pittsburgh that they realized that the VIP's that the crowds were waiting for were indeed themselves. (Much like the Beatles landing in NY; they thought the President might have been landing there at the same time).

I enjoyed the ABC movie, even though a lot of it was made up and twisted. Hell, I love "The Glenn Miller Story" too, and that was pretty much all made up. About all they got right was that Glenn Miller played trombone and had a band and died in WWII.  It doesn't matter to me, and I still cry when I watch it.
I feel the same way. There were things wrong with the facts in the movie, but over all, it pretty much told the story. I enjoyed it also. ( I also like Glenn Miller )
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline stimpy1208

I have a copy of this that I made from TV.  It's on DVD.  Contact me and I will send you a copy.
jamessveta@verizon.net