Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Letters From Stan

Offline Sadistic Stooge

Don't know if any one has been to this site  www.lettersfromstan.com  but is a site with about 700 letters that Stan Laurel wrote to people . One person was really interesting to see there by the name of Betty Healy , Yes it's Ted Healy Wife . Stan wrote her a lot and even talked about Moe and Curly in some of the letters. I didnt get to read alot of the letters yet but what I seen so far is interesting look at Stan's life and who he knew .

check it out it's a good read .....

Offline metaldams

Great find!

If you look around the 1955 and 1956 letters, He is talking about the Stooges and Ted Healy some.  He knew the Howard brothers for sure and even sent Betty Healy a press clipping of Shemp's death, stating how he saw Shemp nine months before and he looked great.  Also mentioned seeing Moe and Larry on a TV show, but he admits he couldn't remember Larry's name!  Only knew him as "the half bald guy" with straight hair, or something like that.

It's strange to think today, but it really makes you wonder how many performers of Stan's generation thought higher of or were more aware of Ted Healy than The Three Stooges.  After all, Healy was a highly paid Vaudeville headliner who had a contract with MGM while The Three Stooges "only" made short films for Columbia.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Sadistic Stooge

Yeah the thing is he only met Shemp one time and didn,t talk much . I would have of loved to see Shemp and Stan work one time together ..

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Awesome find, Sadistic.  I visited the site earlier and found myself absolutely riveted, particularly by Stan's correspondence to Betty Healy.  It was sad to read about Ollie's final months, following his stroke.  I had no idea that the Hardys were forced to sell their home and move in with Mrs. Hardy's mother to save money, since Ollie's care cost them so much.  (It required two male nurses to attend to him.)  And I was flabbergasted when Stan wrote Betty about Ollie's ex-wife suddenly suing him for $50,000 in back alimony while he was lying there, paralyzed and dying.  (I certainly hope that she eventually met with an appropriate end.  What a bitch!)

Offline falsealarms

Wow, what a unique site. A great find for sure.

Offline busybuddy

This is an excellent site! It would nice if they would make a book available with all of these letters in it. Reading thes makes me even more excited about this Saturday's marathon!
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
This is an excellent site! It would nice if they would make a book available with all of these letters in it. Reading thes makes me even more excited about this Saturday's marathon!

Good Lord!  I had forgotten that was tomorrow!  Thanks for the reminder; I'll have to set my PVR to record it.   [bounce]

Offline Sadistic Stooge

Yeah I have to say myself , I was on Letters from Stan for like 2 hrs the 1st time I found it . I think they add more letters as they find them .