Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Toonopedia article "Robonic Stooges" w/interesting goof

I just stumbled upon this:

http://www.toonopedia.com/robonic.htm

It might be fixed by the time you check it out, but as of now this article has a goof such as I have never seen before. Though the Robonic Stooges were based on the obvious classic lineup of Moe, Larry & Curly, the Toonopedia author mistakenly states that it was Moe, Larry & Joe!

Maybe it was on his brain that Joe did cartoon voices (thus being the only Stooge he's had reason to mention before). Still, when the Stooges are mentioned or depicted (outside of their films & fan sites like this) it's virtually always the Curly lineup. For someone to "default" to the Joe lineup when mentioning the Stooges is highly unusual to say the least!
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Hammond Eggar

In his defense, I can sort of understand why he made the mistake.  "The Robonic Stooges" was produced by Hanna-Barbera.  Previous depictions from H-B came from two different "Scooby-Doo" episodes.  I think in those cases, the third Stooge is referred to as both Joe and Curly.  Since these were created and broadcast shortly after the end of the Curly-Joe DeRita era, it's easy to see why H-B, and eventually Toonepedia, made the mistake.  The Stooges themselves also added to the confusion.  There are cuts from their various recoded albums from the '60s in which Moe and Larry refer to DeRita as Curly, Joe and Curly-Joe.  If the Stooges are going to mix up the names, then we can't be too surprised when non-fans make the same mistake. [cool]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

No need to defend him as I wasn't really knocking him. Anyway, since he specifically referred to Joe Besser, I still think he thought of him because of all the cartoon voices he did; he is the only Stooge previously mentioned on Toonopeida, AFAIK.

A very belated update, but: The article at the link now (still mistakenly) names the third Stooge in the cartoon series as Curly-Joe instead of Curly. This is in the context of the writer noting that Curly-Joe was the last living member of the last version of the real Stooges, so it's somewhat understandable.