Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Laurel and Hardy On DVD

Offline Sadistic Stooge

I was on amazon.com last night and I was looking at L&H DVD's . The prices for the 2 hallmark dvd's are at a all time high , why ? Those 2 dvd's are the worst .  Did Hallmark finally stop putting them out ,so that a good company will ?

I have the whole UK set of L&H that was put out by Universal UK in 2004 . That set was  21 dvd's , It had 10 movies , all 40 sound shorts and most of the silent ones , a lot of the shorts and movies they made in Spanish and French, It also has 2 shorts they made Cameos in .  The only things I don't like about the UK set is that they could of took more time Re mastering the films  . A lot of the shorts had the MGM logo cut from the intros , also some are poor reissued  prints with a lot of hisses and pops . This is why I'm Hoping to see a set come out here in the U.S. that would be just as good as The 3 Stooges

Well only time will tell ..

What does everyone else think ?

Sadistic Stooges

Oh by the way if you look at www.amazon.co.uk you can see what the box set looks like and the reissued sets of the 2004 set that just came out this past July .

Offline metaldams

I was on amazon.com last night and I was looking at L&H DVD's . The prices for the 2 hallmark dvd's are at a all time high , why ? Those 2 dvd's are the worst .  Did Hallmark finally stop putting them out ,so that a good company will ?

I have the whole UK set of L&H that was put out by Universal UK in 2004 . That set was  21 dvd's , It had 10 movies , all 40 sound shorts and most of the silent ones , a lot of the shorts and movies they made in Spanish and French, It also has 2 shorts they made Cameos in .  The only things I don't like about the UK set is that they could of took more time Re mastering the films  . A lot of the shorts had the MGM logo cut from the intros , also some are poor reissued  prints with a lot of hisses and pops . This is why I'm Hoping to see a set come out here in the U.S. that would be just as good as The 3 Stooges

Well only time will tell ..

What does everyone else think ?

Sadistic Stooges

Oh by the way if you look at www.amazon.co.uk you can see what the box set looks like and the reissued sets of the 2004 set that just came out this past July .

Well yeah, obviously I and several others would like the same thing.  It's a disgrace a good portion of the Hal Roach catalog is unavailable and unrestored in the U.S.  Stan and Ollie definitely deserve better.

I do know about that U.K. set you speak of, and while I flirted with the idea, I think it would be ridiculous on my part to buy a region free DVD player just for that one set. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Sadistic Stooge

well I didn't buy a player but I did download the ISO files from a Bittorrent Site from people from the UK  . It took me a little over 3 months to do but it was worth it . I just had to do 1 dvd at a time b/c they are big files and my hard drive is only so big. .

I think they are still up if any one else wants to know the site let me know .

Offline archiezappa

I also flirted with the idea of buying the set.  I decided that it was not a good idea to buy a player just to watch the one set.  I would rather wait for the real thing to come out in a region 1 release in the US.  Maybe they'll finally get the idea to do it right, if they've seen the Stooges sets.  Some sets of the shorts followed by sets of the features would be a good idea.  As it has been said before, only time will tell.

Offline Sadistic Stooge

What I want to know is how Universal UK owns the rights to almost all the L&H  shorts and movies  but not the Universal here in the U.S. ? A Copy right is the same here as in other parts of the world . There are other movies Universal owns that are on both U.S. and UK .

It's a damn good thing that Columbia still owns all the stuff the Stooges made with them , so we didn't have to wait that long for them to put it together .  [3stooges]

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
What I want to know is how Universal UK owns the rights to almost all the L&H  shorts and movies  but not the Universal here in the U.S. ? A Copy right is the same here as in other parts of the world . There are other movies Universal owns that are on both U.S. and UK .

Universal does not own the rights.  Universal UK purchased a license from Hallmark, granting them the right to market the Roach "talkie" L&H films in the UK and its territories, for a set period of time (now expired).

The Roach "talkie" films were owned by Hallmark at that time... as a result of a corporate reorganization early last year, former Hallmark subsidiary RHI Entertainment currently owns that library of films.

Offline archiezappa

Maybe, if the Little Rascals sets are a success, they will issue a set of Laurel & Hardy.  It sure would be nice to watch those shorts remastered the way the Stooges are.

Offline Sadistic Stooge

Well hopefully soon we will hear some about a set of L&H dvd's coming out in the  U.S. , in till then we can all watch the  L&H shorts and movies on TCM .

Offline locoboymakesgood

I have my Hallmark disc still. It went out-of-print a couple of years ago. Wow.

I need to import that R2 set.. I lost my copies.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)