Sony Press Release: Three Stooges Collection Vol. 3 1940-1942

BeAStooge · 47 · 18946

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Vol. 3 1940-1942 DVD: August 26, 2008 - September 01, 2008

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Available for preorder on Amazon @ June 16.

From Sony Pictures Home Entertainment...

More Eye-Gouging and Nose-Tweaking from Larry, Moe and Curly in the Latest Volume of Classic Comedy Shorts

THE THREE STOOGES COLLECTION: 1940 - 1942 Volume Three

23 Digitally-Restored Shorts, Arranged Chronologically, and Packaged in a Two-Disc DVD

AVAILABLE ON AUGUST 26

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (June 16, 2008) – The classic comedy trio returns with lots of "slapschtick" when The Three Stooges Collection: 1940 – 1942 Volume Three twists, punches and pokes its way back onto DVD August 26 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. All 23 short films from those three years, chronologically organized by the original release dates, have been digitally remastered from original negatives and include such all-time fan favorites as You Natzy Spy, In The Sweet Pie and Pie, A-Plumbing We Will Go and An Ache In Every Stake. The Three Stooges Collection: 1940 - 1942 Volume Three, continuing the fan-requested roll-out of the group's complete short film anthology, will be available for $24.96 SRP.

The Three Stooges are one of the most influential screen comedy teams of the 20th century and an inspiration to generations of comics that followed. Following their start in vaudeville, the trio's film career began in the early 1930s, reached its slapstick peak during their tenure at Columbia Pictures (1934-1959). After their initial retirement, they were rediscovered by an enthusiastic new generation through the medium of television and have outstripped all their contemporaries in terms of lasting popularity.

The Three Stooges Collection 1940-1942: Volume 3 episodes include:

You Nazty Spy!
I'll Never Heil Again
Rockin' Thru the Rockies
An Ache in Every Stake
A Plumbing We Will Go
In the Sweet Pie and Pie
Nutty but Nice
Some More of Samoa
How High is Up?
Loco Boy Makes Good
From Nurse to Worse
Cactus Makes Perfect
No Census, No Feeling
What's The Matador?
Cookoo Cavaliers
Matri-Phony
Boobs in Arms
Three Smart Saps
So Long, Mr. Chumps
Even As I.O.U.
Dutiful but Dumb
Sock-A-Bye Baby
All The World's a Stooge

DVD Features Include:
· Full Screen Presentations
· Audio: English (Mono)

The Three Stooges Collection: 1940 - 1942 Volume Three has a run time of approximately 396 minutes and is not rated.

DVD Catalog # 26382
UPC Code: 043396263826
Order Date: 7/24/08
SLP: $24.96

Image courtesy of The Digital Bits

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
Well I'll be God damned!

Looks like we will be getting Volume 3 in August!   [cool]

"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline FineBari3

I remember in one of the several discussions going on about vol. 2, that perhaps they were releasing vols. 2 and 3 very quickly. I guess that is what happened?

Dang, I still have to get vol. 2.....
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline falsealarms

This was somewhat expected, but still great news. 1940-1942 finishes off the "best" Curly years and is arguably the best set so far.

Offline Sadistic Stooge

I bet Vol 4 will come out at the end of Nov , just in time for X-mas shopping :)  (just a guess)  [3stooges]

xraffle

I bet Vol 4 will come out at the end of Nov , just in time for X-mas shopping :)

Yes and I'm hoping that volume will contain a beautifully restored copy of "Micro-Phonies."

Offline metaldams

"continuing the fan-requested roll-out of the group's COMPLETE short film anthology."

The above quote is from an official Sony press release.  Let's hope they mean it.

My guess is that volume 5 will be 1946 - 1948, which will be both Curlys and Shemps.  Probably a feeler to see if Shemp sells, but that's just a guess.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

My guess is that volume 5 will be 1946 - 1948, which will be both Curlys and Shemps.  Probably a feeler to see if Shemp sells, but that's just a guess.

I'm sure more fans will buy the Shemp ones. A lot of us have seen all the Curly, but some haven't seen all the Shemp ones. So, there are probably some people out there who will buy them because they're seeing some shorts for the first  time.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I can't see them packaging Shemp and Curly together. I could be WAY off, but I don't think it's likely.

This is fantastic news. Can't wait for the coverart. I can't believe Vol. 3 was announced less than 3 weeks after Vol. 2. I wonder what the sales numbers were?
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Porcupine73

This is my first post after several months of lurking.  Didn't see this posted earlier so here it is fellow knuckleheads: Amazon's volume 3 pre-order page  If you signed up to be notified when you can pre-order Volume 3, this is a different product listing altogether so don't hold your breath waiting for an email.   >:( Amazon doesn't do a very good job of matching a newly-announced product to an existing "Coming Soon" product listing. I don't think I've ever gotten a notification email for anything from them

I think it's awesome that Sony is FINALLY doing this. I've got Vols 1 and 2 already and I'm getting them for my bro for his birthday next month.

Can't wait for my favorite, "They Stooge To Conga" on Volume 4!!!!!!!!

Just curious why folks think Sony won't mix the Shemp and Curly shorts together? I think they'll mostly stick to the 3-year cycle, cause I really don't think Shemp vs Curly matters to them, and also it's easier for them to organize their release schedule that way. Then maybe the 8th volume would be 1955-1959 so Sony can pool all the "Dead Shemp" and Joe DeRita shorts in one volume. Even Sony has to know that nobody really likes the Joe episodes and they'd sell better combined with Shemp! Just my opinion, what do others think?

Offline FineBari3

This is my first post after several months of lurking.  Didn't see this posted earlier so here it is fellow knuckleheads: Amazon's volume 3 pre-order page 

Remember to order through threestooges.net!

I know Rob gets points or cash or cold cuts or something.......if we go through the site.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

xraffle

I can't see them packaging Shemp and Curly together. I could be WAY off, but I don't think it's likely.

They mixed the Curly and Shemp ones when they released the older themed release, so I don't see why they won't do it in this case.

Offline metaldams

As long as they do it in chronological order, I'm fine with Shemps and Curlys in the same volume.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I'm sure more fans will buy the Shemp ones. A lot of us have seen all the Curly, but some haven't seen all the Shemp ones. So, there are probably some people out there who will buy them because they're seeing some shorts for the first  time.

Yeah x, but fans outside of Three Stooges message boards and conventions (i.e. the general public) don't hold Shemp in high esteem like we do.  Sure, he has some fans, but not like Curly.

Shemp shorts also aren't necessarily less seen than Curly either.  Ever since I was a kid to today, the standard format for The Three Stooges on television is three shorts an hour, and a mix of whatever third Stooge you could find.  I hope you're right about Shemp sellng and us getting to have all 190 shorts in proper order, but I don't think it's a guarantee.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

I've been lurking for awhile myself, so I'm more than happy to de-lurk and say WOO HOOO!

Vol 3 has some of their best shorts ever, so many classics from this time period.

Thank you Sony for giving us Vol 3 so quickly! This is awesome news. If they can keep this pace
going we can get into the Shemp years by next year.

I think Sony wont have any problem putting Curly and Shemp shorts together on DVD when they
did it on the themed disks for years. Besides they have to if they want to kepp the 3 years per
set thing going.

I bet they will make the last Vol encompas all the Dead Shemp and Besser shorts to save space.
Makes sense to me.

Can't wait till August!
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

xraffle

Yeah x, but fans outside of Three Stooges message boards and conventions (i.e. the general public) don't hold Shemp in high esteem like we do.  Sure, he has some fans, but not like Curly.

You may be right. My cousiins are like that. They like Curly, but hate Shemp. I really don't understand why people are like that. I can understand if people don't like Shemp as much as Curly, but to hate Shemp, I just find that absurd. I think the problem is people don't give Shemp a chance. He was funny in his own way and I wish people would see that. I actually am happy that Shemp got an opportunity to become a stooge. I think he's a very funny stooge and there are times when he is even funnier than Curly.

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
You may be right. My cousiins are like that. They like Curly, but hate Shemp. I really don't understand why people are like that. I can understand if people don't like Shemp as much as Curly, but to hate Shemp, I just find that absurd. I think the problem is people don't give Shemp a chance. He was funny in his own way and I wish people would see that. I actually am happy that Shemp got an opportunity to become a stooge. I think he's a very funny stooge and there are times when he is even funnier than Curly.

I can only imagine what these people think about Joe...if they "hate" Shemp.   :o  Would they wish death on Joe (if he was still alive)?

Shemp had his own unique style, which apparently some people cannot see.  He had more of a spoken joke style, instead of the crazy/kid like movements that Curly used.  Shemp did have his funny noise when he was scared, and he had a special snore...but who would want Shemp to be a Curly clone with hair?!

Joe was also unique...but not funny.  His style lacked that special something to make me laugh.  I have yet to find a Joe fan, let alone one who likes Joe and hates Shemp. 
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline Justin T

I can only imagine what these people think about Joe...if they "hate" Shemp.   :o  Would they wish death on Joe (if he was still alive)?

Shemp had his own unique style, which apparently some people cannot see.  He had more of a spoken joke style, instead of the crazy/kid like movements that Curly used.  Shemp did have his funny noise when he was scared, and he had a special snore...but who would want Shemp to be a Curly clone with hair?!

Joe was also unique...but not funny.  His style lacked that special something to make me laugh.  I have yet to find a Joe fan, let alone one who likes Joe and hates Shemp. 

Yes, Metal brought up a good point. The non-hardcore Stooge fans love Curly alot more than Shemp so its going to be interesting to see how well
the Collection sets sell once we hit the Shemp years. We need to do everything we can to make sure they are as bestselling as Vol's 1 and 2 have
been.

I wasn't that big a fan of Shemp when I first started watching the Stooges, I loved Curly to death and when I got Shemps on I was like "Ah man.."
but as I grew up and got older and watched them over and over again, I grew to love Shemp. Curly is still my #1 but I have come to love and
apprecaite Shemp almost as much. He had his own unique style and it worked for the Stooges as well as when Shemp was on his own.

I think the love for Curly is so high that Shemp (and Joe and Curly-Joe also) are just considered not worthy to have "replaced" him and I think that
train of thought is not fair to Shemp at all. I'm not big on the Joe and Curly Joe eras myself but its not fair to put Shemp in that catagory.
The Curly and Shemp years for the most part are the peak of the team's success and it wasn't untill the later Shemp years that the real
decline in quality began IMO.

I still haven't met any big time Joe Besser or DeRita fans when I talk about the Stooges to casual fans, most seem to only know about the
Curly and Shemp years.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Justin,

You hit the nail on the head!

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline archiezappa

That's awesome news!  I can't wait to have Volume 3. 

I also don't understand why people hate Shemp.  I personally always liked Shemp.  I even like the Joe's.  Curly is the most popular Stooge.  No one can argue with that.  However, they should give Shemp a chance.  They only need to watch a few of the funniest Shemp shorts to be convinced.  Just watch "Brideless Groom," "The Tooth Will Out" or "All Gummed Up."  Those are some of the funniest Stooge shorts.  As for Joe Besser...well, we wouldn't have a complete set of Stooges shorts without him.  I want all 190, not just 174.

Offline mark32570

Great news indeed. Wasnt expecting this at all. I didn't even know until I hit The Digital Bits today, and when I scrolled down, I saw the cover art, and immediately came here to see what was up. Can't wait.
"For you, I have thee grand surprise"
"So do I, if you only knew it"

xraffle