Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Recommend some Stooge books for me

Offline falsealarms

I've read several Stooges books over the years, but clearly not all of them. Here are the ones I've read, followed by ones I haven't. I'm wondering, out of the books I haven't read, which couple would you recommend the most? I'm probably most intrigued by the Book of Scripts, but who knows. That Beyond the Laughter book sounds like a pile of garbage to me.

1. One Fine Stooge
2. Moe Howard's Autobiography
3. Three Stooges: Triumphs and Tragedies
4. Three Stooges Scrapbook
5. Curly (by Joan Maurer)
6. Larry: The Stooge in the Middle
7. Three Stooges Chronicles
8. Three Stooges: An Illustrated History, from Amalgamated Morons to American Icons

Books I haven't read/seen

1. Three Stooges Book of Scripts (both volumes)
2. Stroke of Luck (way too pricey)
3. Joe Besser's autobiography
4. Complete Three Stooges (Solomon)
5. Three Stooges Encyclopedia
6. Beyond the Laughter, Curly's Post-Stooge years
7. The Stoogephile Trivia Book
8. The Stooges' Lost Episodes
9. My Friend Moe (Sanner)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
out of the books I haven't read, which couple would you recommend the most?

Offline jailbee

http://bearmanormedia.bizland.com/index.html
This site has a new stooge book coming out "Stooges Among Us"
A great site for early media types.
This is a great site and forum.
I've been lurking...but I'm seeing a doctor for it.

Offline curlysdame

which couple would you recommend the most? I'm probably most intrigued by the Book of Scripts, but who knows. That Beyond the Laughter book sounds like a pile of garbage to me.

1. Three Stooges Book of Scripts (both volumes)
2. Stroke of Luck (way too pricey)
5. Three Stooges Encyclopedia
6. Beyond the Laughter, Curly's Post-Stooge years
7. The Stoogephile Trivia Book
8. The Stooges' Lost Episodes
9. My Friend Moe (Sanner)

I can help ya out... I highly recommend both volumes of 'Book of Scripts.'  There's so many great pics, and a great deal of it is written from Joan's point of view, as she was growing up as the shorts discussed in these two books were filmed.  It's got more of a personal feel to it, I think.  I personally recommend all the books Joan has put her name on.   

Stroke of Luck:  I was lucky in getting a copy in good condition a couple of Christmases ago.  It really is full of errors.  In the first few pages, it's written that Moe's real name is 'Maurice' ...wtf.  Actually, I was fortunate enough to be invited to Joan Maurer's house when I was vacationing in LA a few years back.  I had asked a question about 'Stroke of Luck' and she pulled out Moe's personal copy.  Apparently, he had underlined and highlighted all the errors in the book.  Needless to say, there were a lot of highlighted pages, haha.  ...One of the only good things is that there are a ton of rare photos that I hadn't seen before.  The only reason it's so expensive is probably because there was only a certain number printed.

Besser's Bio:  Have it, but haven't gotten around to reading it, nyuk nyuk.

The Complete Three Stooges:  Oh man, this book is great!  I find myself consulting it alll the time.  Who directed which film, the history behind the pop culture reference of the day, all the yiddish slang, etc.  It starts with 'Soup to Nuts' and ends with 'Kooks Tour;' basically everything is in there.  If this isn't the Stooges bible, then I dunno what it.

Three Stooges Encyclopedia:  This one's OK.  It's got all the character names, destinations, businesses, etc, from the shorts. 

Beyond the Laughter:  Haha... I can't believe this was actually printed.  The basic plot is this:  Curly Howard actually didn't die in 1952 (??!) It turns out he wasn't Jewish and was an Italian American with mob ties ( [rotfl]).  He falls in love with this 13 year old girl; they wait until she's like 20, and then they elope.  They have a daughter, and he says he can't stay married to his wife because it's 'not safe.'  The rest of the story revolves around the wife and the daughter.  The only times Curly shows up in the plot is to come back and have sex with the woman who used to be his wife (and I gotta say, it gets blue).  The daughter grows up and wants to know who her father is.  She eventually finds Curly... in Canada (through a weird ass line of events).  When she does finally meet him, he's this sick old guy in a bathrobe.  She lives with him for a while, they forge a relationship.  Then she goes home and he dies.... at like 75.  This was the worst piece of crap I've ever read.  Not to mention it's littered with grammatical and punctuation errors.  When Joan Maurer found out about this she was pretty pissed off, and I'm surprised Curly's family didn't sue the author.

Trivia Book:  It's kinda cute.  It's from the 80s when the Stooge craze was in full swing.  It's got quick little bios of the Stooges, shows you how to do certain Stooge-isms (Curly Shuffle, eye poke, etc), and of course it's got trivia questions...

Lost Episodes:  This one I thought was  pretty good.  It's got some 'lost anecdotes,' funny stories about the Stooges on a more personal level.  Talks about the films they did with Healy, some of the features the Stooges appeared in during the 40s, some Shemp solos, a little bit about the later years, with Curly Joe.  I like it because it doesn't focus on the 190 the Stooges did with Columbia.  I've seen the early stuff, but after reading this, I'm more familiar with it.

My Friend Moe:  Funny you mention that one, too.  I came across that on Amazon a few days ago and I had never heard of it.  Has anyone here read it?
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline nyukster

Curlysdame:  I'm the author of "My Friend Moe...Memories of a Stoogeboomer".  The book is about my experiences becoming friends with Moe back when I was a teenager in the late 1960's-70's. It is available from any on-line bookseller.

Offline curlysdame

Thanks nyukster.  I'll have to check it out...
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline nyukster

Thanks!  I gave a copy to Paul Howard and he called it a warm, respectful tribute and welcome addition to his Stooge library.  It also gives some history of when Moe and Shemp worked in vaudeville in my hometown during their "pre-Stooges" days.  I'm one of those lucky ones who became a pen-pal with Moe for many years.  We corresponded back and forth for many years until his death.

Offline FineBari3

Nice to see you on here, Rich!!!!

(My Picksburgh Stooge friend!)

[hello]
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline falsealarms

Since I posted this about 18 months ago, I picked up the Soloman book and loved it. One of the better ones. Have been tempted by the others.

Has anyone ever read Behind The Stooges: The White Brothers ?

Offline nyukster

Hey Mar-Jean!  I'm a frequent browser, seldom post.  Good to hear from you....GO PENS!!

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Hey Mar-Jean!  I'm a frequent browser, seldom post.  Good to hear from you....GO PENS!!

The Penguins can't go to the golf course yet, they have to lose 4 games first.  [pie]

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline JazzBill

The Penguins can't go to the golf course yet, they have to lose 4 games first.  [pie]

James
I can see there's one book out there I'm glad I didn't waste any money on ! ( There's something I want to say to you in private , so I'll send you a PERSONAL MESSAGE )
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
I wasn't even talking to you..

Fuck off, loser. You can't take it and neither can the Penguins.

James

Offline nyukster

You have over 600 mindless, profanity-ridden posts on this message board, so who's the loser here jughead?  Are you an example of what comes out of the dirty, jobless, cesspool of a city called Deetroit?  No wonder everyone went to buying foreign cars.  Get a job!  Go Pens! Go Pens Go Pens Go Pens!  Get it moron?  Take some night classes and get a better command of the English language...they do have schools in Deetroit don't they?

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
What is your problem?

Oh yeah, you are a prick from Pricksburgh PA.

Go back to "seldom posting".

James

[youtube=425,350]Puw2bahu7wQ&NR=1[/youtube]

Offline curlysdame

LOL to that video jrvass.  It was timed perfectly w/ the music.  That song's gonna be stuck in my head all day now.   :P

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Usage of some of the more colorful verbiage of the English language does not necessarily denote a lack of command or stupidity. I'm probably...alright,  definitely the person who curses the most on this board and consider myself to have above average intelligence at the least and also to have a firm grasp of the language.

All James did was give you some good natured sports ribbing, which is quite common in rivalries or when you have fans of teams that are playing for a championship or in the playoffs. This is a public forum, and anything you post here can be commented on by any of our members. As JazzBill pointed out there is the Private Message option if you wish to only talk to a specific member. You flew off the handle and made much ado about nothing. To be blunt, you asked for it.

I believe I mentioned in another thread shortly after the Bruins lost that Pittsburgh was my pick to win the Cup this year, and they still are. Not that I want to pile onto you James, but GO CELTICS!
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
Usage of some of the more colorful verbiage of the English language does not necessarily denote a lack of command or stupidity. I'm probably...alright,  definitely the person who curses the most on this board and consider myself to have above average intelligence at the least and also to have a firm grasp of the language.

All James did was give you some good natured sports ribbing, which is quite common in rivalries or when you have fans of teams that are playing for a championship or in the playoffs. This is a public forum, and anything you post here can be commented on by any of our members. As JazzBill pointed out there is the Private Message option if you wish to only talk to a specific member. You flew off the handle and made much ado about nothing. To be blunt, you asked for it.

I believe I mentioned in another thread shortly after the Bruins lost that Pittsburgh was my pick to win the Cup this year, and they still are. Not that I want to pile onto you James, but GO CELTICS!

S#1,

You can have the Celtics, because I don't care about the Pissed-On's. GO WINGS!

James

Offline metaldams

Agreed.  Nyukster, you may also want to knock off the mindless stereotypes about people from Detroit and people who post on message boards, which shows a lot less intelligence than using the word "fuck."  You're welcome to post here, as I'm sure you have plenty of Stooge knowledge to offer, but provoking other posters for no good reason is not tolerated.  Consider this a friendly warning.

As for books, I'm a THE COMPLETE THREE STOOGES by Jon Solomon guy myself.  As interesting as personal bios can be, I'm mostly interested in the films, which is the only way I know the boys, or ever will.  Great academic studies on each film The Three Stooges ever made.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir: (Metaldams):

I do agree with you sir "The Complete Three Stooges" by Jon Solomon is an excellent resource for Stooges information.  But sir if I may throw in one that I feel is a good resource book about the Stooges.  "The Complete Three Stooges Encyclopedia" by Robert Kurzon.  His book provides alot of good information also.

Thank you sir for letting me post my two cents worth of "Moron" knowledge.

Please sir have yourself a good rest of the week and wonderful week ending.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges]

Mattie Herring

Has anyone recommended The Three Stooges:  From Amalgamated Morons to American Icons by Michael Fleming?  I checked this book out from my local library and I really liked it.  It's got pictures and everything.