Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

VOLUME 2 OFFICIAL SONY PRESS RELEASE

Guest · 37 · 9604

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Coll 1937-1939 DVD: May 27, 2008 - June 02, 2008

stooged and confused

Here you go, everyone. I just received an email confirmation from my Sony contact confirming Volume 2! I will post the box artwork shortly.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Larry, Moe and Curly are Back for More “Nyucks”
in a New Volume of Classic Comedy Shorts

THE THREE STOOGES COLLECTION
Volume Two: 1937-1939

24 Digitally-Restored Shorts, Arranged Chronologically,
and Packaged in a Two-Disc DVD

AVAILABLE ON MAY 27

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (March 24, 2008) – The celebrated comedy trio of Larry, Moe, and Curly are back for more slaphappy hijinks on May 27 when Sony Pictures Home Entertainment launches The Three Stooges Collection Volume Two: 1937-1939.  All 24 short films, chronologically organized by the original release dates over the two years, have been digitally remastered from original negatives and include such fan favorites as Dizzy Doctors, Saved By the Belle and Calling All Curs. The Three Stooges Collection Volume Two: 1937-1939 ($24.96 SRP) makes the perfect Father’s Day gift for Three Stooges fans and comedy film buffs alike.  This latest volume follows the success of the first chronological set of Stooges film shorts from 1934-36, released last year by Sony.
The Three Stooges are one of the most important screen comedy teams of the 20th century and an inspiration to generations of comics that followed.  The trio’s film career began in the early 1930s, reached its slapstick peak during their tenure at Columbia Pictures (1934-1957) and lasted well into the 1950s.  After their initial retirement, they were rediscovered by an enthusiastic new generation through the medium of television and have outstripped all their contemporaries in terms of lasting popularity.

The Three Stooges Collection Volume Two: 1937-1939 episodes include:
Grips, Grunts and Groans
Dizzy Doctors
Three Dumb Clucks
Back to the Woods
Goofs and Saddles
Cash and Carry
Playing the Ponies
The Sitter Downers
Termites of 1938
Wee Wee Monsieur
Tassels in the Air
Healthy, Wealthy and Dumb
Violent is the Word for Curly
Three Missing Links
Mutts to You
Flat Foot Stooges
Three Little Sew and Sews
We Want Our Mommy
A Ducking They Did Go
Yes, We have No Bonanza
Saved By the Belle
Calling All Curs
Oily to Bed, Oily to Rise
Three Sappy People

DVD Features Include:
Full Screen Presentations
Audio: English (Mono)

The Three Stooges Collection Volume Two: 1937-1939 has a run time of approximately 412 minutes and is not rated. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 02:42:23 PM by BeAStooge »

stooged and confused

stooged and confused

Note the goof in the release where they erroneously billed the short "We Want Our Mummy" as "We Want Our Mommy."

ThumpTheShoes

After their initial retirement, they were rediscovered by an enthusiastic new generation through the medium of television and have outstripped all their contemporaries in terms of lasting popularity.

That's excellent spin, don'tcha think? We all know what really happened!

I'm still completely thrilled and I've had mine preordered since Amazon first put it up. Now, we need more-- and faster!

Note the goof in the release where they erroneously billed the short "We Want Our Mummy" as "We Want Our Mommy."

Yep. Could've been worse. "A Ducking They Did Go" could easily become comedy gold!

stooged and confused

Yep. Could've been worse. "A Ducking They Did Go" could easily become comedy gold!

That's for sure!! I emailed my contact and pointed out the typo. That way they can fix the error before they print it incorrectly on the box/slip case!

Offline Justin T

Here you go, everyone. I just received an email confirmation from my Sony contact confirming Volume 2! I will post the box artwork shortly.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Larry, Moe and Curly are Back for More “Nyucks”
in a New Volume of Classic Comedy Shorts

THE THREE STOOGES COLLECTION
Volume Two: 1937-1939

24 Digitally-Restored Shorts, Arranged Chronologically,
and Packaged in a Two-Disc DVD

AVAILABLE ON MAY 27

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (March 24, 2008) – The celebrated comedy trio of Larry, Moe, and Curly are back for more slaphappy hijinks on May 27 when Sony Pictures Home Entertainment launches The Three Stooges Collection Volume Two: 1937-1939.  All 24 short films, chronologically organized by the original release dates over the two years, have been digitally remastered from original negatives and include such fan favorites as Dizzy Doctors, Saved By the Belle and Calling All Curs. The Three Stooges Collection Volume Two: 1937-1939 ($24.96 SRP) makes the perfect Father’s Day gift for Three Stooges fans and comedy film buffs alike.  This latest volume follows the success of the first chronological set of Stooges film shorts from 1934-36, released last year by Sony.
The Three Stooges are one of the most important screen comedy teams of the 20th century and an inspiration to generations of comics that followed.  The trio’s film career began in the early 1930s, reached its slapstick peak during their tenure at Columbia Pictures (1934-1957) and lasted well into the 1950s.  After their initial retirement, they were rediscovered by an enthusiastic new generation through the medium of television and have outstripped all their contemporaries in terms of lasting popularity.

The Three Stooges Collection Volume Two: 1937-1939 episodes include:
Grips, Grunts and Groans
Dizzy Doctors
Three Dumb Clucks
Back to the Woods
Goofs and Saddles
Cash and Carry
Playing the Ponies
The Sitter Downers
Termites of 1938
Wee Wee Monsieur
Tassels in the Air
Three Missing Links
Mutts to You
Flat Foot Stooges
We Want Our Mommy
A Ducking They Did Go
Yes, We have No Bonanza
Saved By the Belle
Calling All Curs
Three Sappy People

DVD Features Include:
Full Screen Presentations
Audio: English (Mono)

The Three Stooges Collection Volume Two: 1937-1939 has a run time of approximately 412 minutes and is not rated. 

WOO HOO!!!

Thanks for posting this Stooged!

Now I just need to get my pre-order in.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

stooged and confused

Which shorts are you most waiting for in Volume 2? Mine are listed below:

Grips, Grunts and Groans
Three Dumb Clucks
Goofs and Saddles
Cash and Carry
Termites of 1938
Wee Wee Monsieur
Tassels in the Air
Three Missing Links
Mutts to You
Flat Foot Stooges
We Want Our Mummy
A Ducking They Did Go
Yes, We have No Bonanza
Saved By the Belle
Three Sappy People

I enjoy all of the shorts on this set, but several are already out on the color/B&W sets etc... "Back To The Woods", "Flat Foot Stooges" and "Three Little Sew And Sews" are flat, particularly "Flat Foot Stooges" (no pun intended) where the short just ends with that awful "look, he's coming back" line, which makes no sense at all. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing them all nice and clean. "Tassles" is the one I'm looking forward to the most. It's a great short and the VHS print was washed with muffled, awful sound!

stooged and confused

Your welcome, Justin T. My pleasure to pass along good news when it happens!

Offline Justin T

Which ones am I looking foward to the most in Vol 2? Here is the list

Dizzy Doctors
Goofs and Saddles
Cash and Carry
The Sitter Downers
Tassels in the Air
We Want Our Mummy
Yes, We have No Bonanza
Calling All Curs
Three Sappy People

Most of these are some of my all time favorites, I esp love Cash and Carry, Sitter Downers, Violent, We Want Our Mummy (good eyes in
catching that typo Stooged) Curs, Oily and 3 Sappy People.

I can not wait till we have them on DVD restored to beautiful clarity like
the shorts in Vol 1 were.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

xraffle

It's about time!! That Box art is way better than Volume 1. Now, it doesn't look like a public domain release anymore. Now, hopefully, with a little bit of marketing, Volume 2 will have excellent sales figures.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The big question is whether or not they will continue through the Shemp and Besser years.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline falsealarms

xraffle

The big question is whether or not they will continue through the Shemp and Besser years.

Yeah I know. Those are the ones I want released so badly.

Still no extras? Sorry, someone had to say it.

As for the extras, I don't care. 24 shorts for only $20 is good enough for me.

Offline busybuddy

That's for sure!! I emailed my contact and pointed out the typo. That way they can fix the error before they print it incorrectly on the box/slip case!

When they get to 1946, we need to make sure that they are aware of the common G.I. Wanna Home/G.I. Wanna Go Home Mistake.

But besides that, I am thrilled to see this! I can't wiat! Bonuses or not! (remember: they may be waiting until the Shemp/Joe years to add bonus features so might sell better.)
I think Birdie will go for that!

stooged and confused

Still no extras? Sorry, someone had to say it.

Nah, still no extras, but with 24 titles that will (hopefully) look as good as the print transfers on volume 1, there's not much to complain about here. Add to that, the great price point and us Stooges fans come out winning this time.

I will post a detailed review once I've received my advance copy and have watched it from beginning to end.

Offline archiezappa

This is Awesome!  I can't wait for this to come out!  The shorts I'm wanting to see the most are "Tassels In The Air" and "We Want Our Mummy."  No extras, but I, personally, don't need any.  Having all of the episodes remastered in glorious black and white, just like the first set, is enough for me.  Volume One looks so good, that I'll buy every volume of these that comes out.  The sound/video quality is well worth the price. 

I also hope that they continue to release these, until we have all 190 of the shorts.  I'd also like to see them release all of the feature films, too.  I hope they do something like this:

The Three Stooges Feature Films Collection:

The Captain Hates The Sea
Start Cheering
Time Out For Rhythm
My Sister Eileen
Rockin' In The Rockies
Have Rocket, Will Travel
The Three Stooges Meet Hercules
The Three Stooges In Orbit
The Three Stooges Go Around The World In A Daze
The Outlaws Is Coming

But I am happy getting what we're getting.  Bring on Volume 2!!! 

Offline locoboymakesgood

Great news! I can't wait!!

You may also want to point out that it lists another "two years" of shorts.. and I guess technically it is, but we have 37, 38, and 39 which would be three.. no?

Oh, and that cover art is a HUGE improvement!!
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

xraffle

If you think about it, if Sony continues to release these sets in 3 year volumes, then we would eventually get all the shorts in a total of 9 volumes. That's going to save a lot of shelf space. I can't wait until Sony releases the other volumes so I can sell my older DVD releases I bought.

Offline falsealarms

I'm definitely buying w/ or w/o extras, but it wouldn't kill them to put some on.

Offline busybuddy

I just realized that we are getting 5 more shorts on this set than we did on the first one! Things are just getting better and better!

Offline falsealarms

I just realized that we are getting 5 more shorts on this set than we did on the first one! Things are just getting better and better!

That's only because 1934 was an abbreviated year for the Stooges short-wise.

Offline falsealarms

One of the more interesting things to see here is how BACK TO THE WOODS looks.... it was quite bad on the themed-dvd's.

Offline busybuddy

That's only because 1934 was an abbreviated year for the Stooges short-wise.

I know, but 24 Stooges episodes is way cooler than 19! When we we get to the mid-forties we'll lose a few again right? Isn't '44 or '45 a few shorts less than the others?

Offline falsealarms

I know, but 24 Stooges episodes is way cooler than 19! When we we get to the mid-forties we'll lose a few again right? Isn't '44 or '45 a few shorts less than the others?

I'll admit I thought the price would be higher this time w/ more shorts, but kudos for them for not doing that.

I think someone has done those calculations before - anyone have em?

Offline locoboymakesgood

Vol. 3 - 1940-1942 (23 shorts)
Vol. 4 - 1943-1945 (21 shorts)
Vol. 5 - 1946-1948 (25 shorts)
Vol. 6 - 1949-1951 (24 shorts)
Vol. 7 - 1952-1954 (22 shorts)
Vol. 8 - 1955-1957 (24 shorts)
Vol. 9 - 1958-1959 (8 shorts)

Obviously something different would be done to include all the Bessers in one package I'd think..
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)