Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

#35 Paul McCartney A.B. (After Beatles)

shemps#1 · 38 · 18419

Offline Umbrella Sam

• Toastmaster General
  • Knothead
    • Talk About Cinema
As Paul Pain just remarked ... One song you didn't mention in your critique, metaldams, is the early McCartney tune "Admiral Halsey/Uncle Albert" that I actually like, but, as you mentioned, has all the qualities of post Beatles / McCartney songs. With lyrics like, "Butter Pie ... butter pie? (the butter wouldn't melt so I put it in the pie)"
Perhaps we should pick that song apart to learn more about the degradation of McCartney in his post Beatles life.

Glad to know I'm not the only who likes Admiral Halsey/Uncle Albert.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead

I enjoy it too.  Lots of different moods and changes in one song that go well together, like a mini side two of ABBEY ROAD packed into one song.  RAM is really a good album, it's grown on me over the years.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I love it for the same reasons people love LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS.  It's so ridiculous that it had to be induced by acid or mushrooms.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Tony Bensley

• Birdbrain
"Be a gypsy, get around, get around. Get your feet up off the ground, live a little, get around!"

Yep, I like this one too, along with many other of Sir Paul's post Beatles tunes!

I did nevertheless find shemp#1's MTS posting hilarious, though!  There's room for all viewpoints.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Dr. Mabuse

• Numbskull
"Venus and Mars" had one chart-topping hit: "Listen to What the Man Said." However, McCartney's smarmy "Wonderful Christmastime" (1979) is one of the worst holiday recordings ever — a debacle that was actually improved upon by Micky Dolenz on 2018's "The Monkees Christmas Party."

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
"Venus and Mars" had one chart-topping hit: "Listen to What the Man Said." However, McCartney's smarmy "Wonderful Christmastime" (1979) is one of the worst holiday recordings ever — a debacle that was actually improved upon by Micky Dolenz on 2018's "The Monkees Christmas Party."

I usually steer clear of the John Vs Paul wars.  That said, one area where John unquestionably “wins” is the Christmas song battle.  I too am not a fan of Paul’s Christmas anthem.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

• Birdbrain
I usually steer clear of the John Vs Paul wars.  That said, one area where John unquestionably “wins” is the Christmas song battle.  I too am not a fan of Paul’s Christmas anthem.
John's Christmas song is absolutely the better of the two! That said, Paul's song puts me in a festive mindset, so it works for me on that level. That said, I totally get why some feel otherwise.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Umbrella Sam

• Toastmaster General
  • Knothead
    • Talk About Cinema
I have no issues with “Wonderful Christmastime”, although I will admit that it is among the most overplayed Christmas songs on the radio and I can see from that perspective why so many people hate it.

As far as the debate between John and Paul’s Christmas songs...I choose to remain neutral and instead say that this is the best Christmas song:

Offline Tony Bensley

• Birdbrain
I have no issues with “Wonderful Christmastime”, although I will admit that it is among the most overplayed Christmas songs on the radio and I can see from that perspective why so many people hate it.

As far as the debate between John and Paul’s Christmas songs...I choose to remain neutral and instead say that this is the best Christmas song:

Interestingly, I very nearly referenced Elton John's "Step Into Christmas" as another song that gets me into the festive spirit!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline HomokHarcos

• Birdbrain
I’m a defender of Wonderful Christmastime and Christmas music in general. Though I don’t listen to the radio or hear the radio at work, so Im not having songs against my will played.

About solo Beatles, I’ve been listening through some of the solo stuff, and have been disappointed so far. McCartney was my favorite Beatles composer, but I find his solo work (up to Wings at the Speed of Sound, which I listened to) to be just OK rock.

Much better than the early George and John albums I’ve listened to so far, however.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

• Numbskull
"[Paul] ran out of good [songs] of his own." — George Harrison (1988)

Offline Umbrella Sam

• Toastmaster General
  • Knothead
    • Talk About Cinema
I’m a defender of Wonderful Christmastime and Christmas music in general. Though I don’t listen to the radio or hear the radio at work, so Im not having songs against my will played.

About solo Beatles, I’ve been listening through some of the solo stuff, and have been disappointed so far. McCartney was my favorite Beatles composer, but I find his solo work (up to Wings at the Speed of Sound, which I listened to) to be just OK rock.

Much better than the early George and John albums I’ve listened to so far, however.

I agree to an extent regarding John and George’s solo work. While I do like ALL THINGS MUST PASS, George’s solo works kind of stalls for me before coming back strong with CLOUD NINE in 1987. As for John, I know people love PLASTIC ONO BAND...I don’t care for it. For me, his best solo work was during the period he was separated from Yoko, particularly WALLS AND BRIDGES.

As far as Paul’s solo work goes, I do have to admit that post-RAM, his albums do feel much more commercial, like he’s really aiming for radioplay. He was successful at that, though, and I still enjoy his solo career, but if I were to do a top 10 favorite songs performed by Paul McCartney, they would all be Beatles songs.

Also, 6 years later, I still love “Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey” and no one can convince me otherwise.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Here to say I was wrong.  Uncle Albert was not pot induced.  Paul simply smashed together some unfinished scraps and called it a song. [iroc]
#1 fire kibitzer