Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Top 10 "Lost" Films - Stooge film mentioned

Offline falsealarms

Gary Lassin found this interesting link - the top 10 lost films. "Hello Pop" is mentioned.

Source: http://www.filmthreat.com/index.php?section=features&Id=2104

“Hello Pop!” (1933). This MGM Technicolor short featured reigning vaudeville comedian Ted Healy and his supporting ensemble of Bonnie Bonnell and the trio of Howard, Fine and Howard. If the last three names look familiar, that’s because they were Moe, Larry and Curly before they broke from Healy and became the Three Stooges. Details on “Hello Pop!” are skimpy, although it is known to have featured an Irving Berlin tune "I'm Sailing on a Sunbeam," and trade reviews from the era describe the slapstick trio wrecking a stage revue while dressed as children.

WHY IS IT LOST? The old two-color Technicolor process was highly unstable, and many prints from these early color films have deteriorated beyond repair. While the Stooges’ films with Healy were vastly inferior to the classic shorts they created under their own star power, the loss of this early effort is truly an eye-poke to the cause of film preservation.

Offline Justin T

Very interesting and cool they put Hello Pop on the list. That and the also missing Jailbirds of Paradise
seem to be lost for good, even if a print was found somewhere, unless a copy was made on non-nitrate film it will
have deteriorated beyond repair.

Its a shame that we will never see them.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline archiezappa

Yeah, it sucks that there's a short that has Moe, Larry & Curly, but we may never get to see it.  I say may.  You never know.  Look what happened with Soup To Nuts.

"I'll never give up Hope" - Curly (Back To The Woods, 1937)

Offline Hammond Eggar

Yeah, it sucks that there's a short that has Moe, Larry & Curly, but we may never get to see it.  I say may.  You never know.  Look what happened with Soup To Nuts.

"I'll never give up Hope" - Curly (Back To The Woods, 1937)

I like your attitude.  As Curly said in Movie Maniacs, "If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' 'til you do suck seed."

Along with those films, I'd love to read more on some notable missing scenes.  I'd love to know more about the original ending to Three Little Pigskins, which shows the Stooges with their 'kids'.  Also, what about Curly's turn as a chef in Malice in the Palace?  It was my understanding that footage was shot in both cases.  Whatever happened to the film?  Could these peices of Stooges history one day surface, as did the behind-the-scenes footage of the boys on the sets of such shorts as Back From the Front and Uncivil Warbirds? ???
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline locoboymakesgood

Also, what about Curly's turn as a chef in Malice in the Palace?  It was my understanding that footage was shot in both cases.  Whatever happened to the film?
Now that I wouldn't hold my breath on. Any deleted footage used from any of the shorts was surely owned by Columbia, and its my understanding anything that was cut from short subjects was destroyed. The "found" behind-the-scenes footage that was discovered was owned by own of the Howard's, no?

Does anyone have a larger version of the still that exists with Curly as the chef? I honestly totally forgot about that until Hammond mentioned it. I wonder why it was cut? Curly too sick, perhaps?
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Curley91

That is neat to see that the Stooges have found their way onto this list.  Even if the details are skimpy, it sounds really interesting, and I wish I could have a chance to see it.  We could then have the complete set of their MGM shorts.  I always enjoy Irving Berlin's music, and it would be neat to see it in combination with Stooge comedy!  If I remember correctly, I think there is a bit more detail in "Three Stooges Scrapbook."     

But where was "Jailbirds Of Paraidse?"

Does anyone have a larger version of the still that exists with Curly as the chef? I honestly totally forgot about that until Hammond mentioned it. I wonder why it was cut? Curly too sick, perhaps?
I think I have one on tape somewhere!  I'll try to upload it later on. 

Anyway, I'm not real sure why the scene was cut.  According to Larry, the scene was shot, but it never made the final print.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Here's a larger version I found on Stoogeworld:

That still looks NOTHING like Curly. He looks really thin, too. Sad to see him in shape like that.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

It would have been interesting if Curly's scene had been left in.  Especially, since that short is now public domain.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I always enjoy Irving Berlin's music, and it would be neat to see it in combination with Stooge comedy!

Music in HELLO POP! was published by "Irving Berlin Music." It was not music by Irving Berlin.

Researcher Rich Finegan, who outlined POP's plot and script in Three Stooges Journal # 64, points out this error in the "filmthreat" article (from the Fan Club's Yahoo Group)...
The writer says that details are skimpy on this 1933 MGM short, and then goes right ahead and further confuses matters by giving wrong information on the film. He states that an Irving Berlin song appears in the short. Don't know who was responsible for that bit of sloppy research, but just because a song may be published by Irving Berlin Music one should not assume it to have been written by Mr. Berlin. Yes the song he mentions is in the short, but it certainly was not composed by Irving Berlin.

Refer to this site's HELLO POP! (1933) entry for the actual composers' information. That info was provided by Mr. Finegan's Journal research, sourced from ASCAP, the Library of Congress, and other copyrighted archive records.