Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Battle of the Rare Shorts #1

Offline locoboymakesgood

EDIT: To aleviate any confusion anyone has, basically vote for ONE of the shorts listed below on a daily basis. Meaning if you vote on Tuesday, you can't vote again until Wednesday, etc. Once the short wins its category (meaning once a favorite Curly is chosen, a favorite Shemp, and a favorite Joe) the voting clock resets and you can vote again. I hope this makes sense. Now, on with the game!

Of course most of us at one point or another have seen all 190 shorts - whether it be edited on the Family Channel, on edited WTBS broadcasts in the 80s, or even on our local affiliates when the boys still ran in syndication. Point is, we all know some shorts were shown a lot more than others (even moreso when the missing 60 took effect in the late 90s).

Now I could put a Curly up against a rare Shemp or Joe, and we all know Shemp or Curly would win.. so to be fair to Besser,

I'm pitting each short against the same third Stooge - i.e. a rare Curly vs. a rare Curly, a rare Shemp vs. a rare Shemp, etc. This plays similar to Moe Hailstone's game with the new DVD shorts. First round will be three shorts against one another, each with one from each third Stooge. This is the first of several games if this turns out to be popular. After a winner is chosen, a second game will begin. So, with that in mind don't think some of the classic rare ones are going to be left in the wind.

Basically, each person may vote once in 24 hours until one short wins its respectful category - at that point the clock is reset. It's going to come down to each Stooge-era against one another, so either way you're gonna have to vote for Besser at some point.

And, as a special treat (as well as to motivate people to vote).. those with over 15 votes might, just MIGHT get a little special treat. It isn't much, but I think it will be rewarding especially if you haven't seen some of these rare shorts in awhile, so keep that in mind.

So, without further ado, I give you The Battle of the Rare Shorts!

Round 1

WINNER OF ROUND 1 IS.....

Studio Stoops (1950)

An overwhelming majority, I might add. Congrats to this 1950 all-time classic. Get ready for Round 2. ;D

EDIT: Ok folks it's down to the final three. The clock has been reset so vote for your favorite overall rare short out of the 3. Have fun.

First short to get 5 votes is automatically safe until the next round, until eventually one short from each group is pitted against one another. That's it, have fun!

I'll kick things off by voting for one of my favorite Shemp's, Three Hams On Rye.

Participants
locoboymakesgood - 5 Votes
ThumpTheShoes - 5 Votes
Curley91 - 4 Votes
Moe Hailstone - 5 Votes
Justin T - 3 Votes
s-mac - 3 Votes
JazzBill - 4 Votes
archiezappa - 3 Votes
stooged and confused - 3 Votes

ELIMINATED SHORTS
We Want Our Mummy
Three Little Twirps
Three Hams On Rye
Gypped in the Penthouse
Quiz Whizz
Pies and Guys
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

ThumpTheShoes

A little traveling music, Sam!!

They Stooge to Conga

And awayyyy we go!

Curley91

Because it will be on 'The U' on Saturday night, I'll start with Three Little Twirps.

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
Great idea for a game.  :D  I'm proud and a bit jealous.   ;)  This time I can just play along instead of maintaining the game as well.

My vote:

Studio Stoops   8)
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline Pat The Stooge

Let's See:

The Jerome "Curly" Era: Flat Foot Stooges(1938)
V.S. Saved By The Belle(1939) V.S. Three Pests In A Mess(1945)

The Shemp Era:
Pardon My Clutch(1948) V.S. Slappyhappy Slueths(1950) V.S. Self Made Maids(1950) V.S. Pardon My Clutch(1953) V.S. Cuckoo On A Chu Chu(1952)

Offline Justin T

I'm voting for one of my personal favorites, We Want Our Mummy
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline locoboymakesgood

Pat those are classic shorts which may make it into the next game, but that's not how I set this up to work. Take a look at the long spiel I typed out and you may understand a little better. ;D

Offline locoboymakesgood

Today I'm going to Curly-it-Up and cast my vote for They Stooge to Conga.

Offline s-mac

Offline locoboymakesgood

I agree, i also vote for the stooge to conga.

ill give joe his first vote with Quizz Wizz
One vote per day.

Sigh, nobody reads the rules. ;D

I'll give it to your first reply, They Stooge to Conga.

Offline JazzBill

I read the instructions but was still a little confused. Thats why I waited to see how other people voted.
I go with Studio Stoops.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline locoboymakesgood

I read the instructions but was still a little confused. Thats why I waited to see how other people voted.
I go with Studio Stoops.
D'oh. I'll update it to be a little more clear.. my bad!

Curley91

I'll vote for one of my favorite Shemp shorts, Studio Stoops.

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
I'll go with They Stooge to Conga this time.
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline locoboymakesgood

Just reply in the thread with your choice, Pat...

Offline locoboymakesgood

Today I'm going to go with Quiz Whizz.

stooged and confused

"They Stooge To Conga". I remember the very first time I saw this short and I couldn't believe the severity of the "spike" scene. The only act of Stooge violence that made me wince and cringe.

Offline locoboymakesgood

They Stooge to Conga has won this round's Curly-era. Shemp and Joe shorts are left for voting now.

Offline Justin T

I love Hams, great short. but my vote goes to Studio Stoops because its a Shemp classic IMO.
Soo many great gags and laughs in that one. Hell one of the quotes in my signature is from
that short.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline JazzBill

Studio Stoops
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

ThumpTheShoes

How about a second call for Triple Crossed!

Why you all up in my grill?! Fight the power!

[EDIT] !!!

<<< I just saw my trade count went up one? Did I forget to send something?   ???