Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Rockin' In the Rockies

Offline locoboymakesgood

Ok, well I watched this over the weekend for the first time in over 10 years (last time was when it was last aired on TV in the mid-90s - I think AMC, probably TBS or TNT though).. and now that I got a grasp on it I have to say how disappointing. The Stooges, in their only actual starring vehicle during the Curly era - and THAT'S what we get?? I actually, unlike most people here, like it when the Stooges play seperate roles.. but the fact that Moe already had his Besser-era slicked back hair and he wasn't really funny, well it just didn't do it for me.

The accountant cousin was annoying - especially bitching about that moose-head.. and those four guys were PATHETIC. They weren't funny, and honestly they were more annoying than anything.

I need to watch Time Out For Rhythm, Myrt and Marge, or some other GOOD ones to get this one out of my head. How disappointing, given the potential. I liked that Vernon Dent even had a bit part, but even he couldn't save it.

Larry and Curly made the movie though, that's for sure - and although this was during his sick-era, Curly still gave one hell of a performance.

Who else has seen this? I saw it's airing on TCM in March.. I'll DVR it anyway so I can get a better copy. Still..
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Justin T

I have, I got a copy of it during the summer from ThumptheShoes.

Yeah, the movie is VERY dissapointing as the only one they got all to themselves during the Curly era.
I also like some of the shorts where they were seperate characters but in this case it doesnt work
as well, I think Moe played it TOO straight in this and it detracts from the fun. It does get better
in the second half when they work together, the part where they pretend to be exterminators
is one of the best scenes in the movie, that was classic Stooging there.

Larry and Curly do carry the bulk of the laughs here, and I agree that despite the fact around this time
his health was starting to fade, Curly did a great job here.

Your preaching to the choir about how great Time Out For Rhythm and Myrt and Marge are compared
to this, they got a better movie when Shemp came back in Gold Raiders.

I didn't think anyone else around here besides me and Thump had seen Myrt and Marge lately.

More Stooges fans need to watch that one IMO.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline locoboymakesgood

Your preaching to the choir about how great Time Out For Rhythm and Myrt and Marge are compared
to this, they got a better movie when Shemp came back in Gold Raiders.

I didn't think anyone else around here besides me and Thump had seen Myrt and Marge lately.

More Stooges fans need to watch that one IMO.
I've never actually seen Myrt and Marge, but I heard from Thump and some other Stooge fans that it's one of their best non-Columbia era works. Looks like I really need to start working up a bribe for Thump. My disappointment from Rockin' really put a sour taste in my mouth. ;D
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline busybuddy

Here's all the Stooges parts in Time Out For Rhythm if you would like to see some better feature-length Stooges.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="
&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="
&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline Justin T

I've never actually seen Myrt and Marge, but I heard from Thump and some other Stooge fans that it's one of their best non-Columbia era works. Looks like I really need to start working up a bribe for Thump. My disappointment from Rockin' really put a sour taste in my mouth. ;D

Ah, I see. Well you're talking to the right person. I was the one who gave Thump his copy of Myrt and Marge  ;D
If you can't work out a trade with him, maybe we can work something out. I have it on VHS and can copy it to DVD no problem.

I think you will like it, Healy and the Stooges get alot of screen time (alot more than in Meet the Baron) and do some very funny stuff.

I freaking love their stuff in Time Out For Rhythm, Thump gave me a copy of that one too.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
I owe  Thump a Karma point. Busybuddy. And others...

[3stooges]

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

ThumpTheShoes

I just don't like the bit where Curly does his spin-like-a-top routine. I can just imagine how bad he must have felt, physically, with his blood pressure out of whack and all-- he still wasn't able during that time, it seems, to get his high-pitched comedy voice going. Just seeing his low energy level and how the whole scene plays in a kinda slow motion. That's the worst part for me. The picture is alright though, and very short! But then, Gold Raiders was short, too wasn't it? Under an hour?

However you manage it, you need to see Myrt and Marge. Now, there's a film where everyone is on top of their game. Healy and the Boys really kick up some dust in this "staged" production (foreshadowing??) and every performer pulls their own weight.