Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

DVD set volume 2

Guest · 15 · 4858

stooged and confused

As of this afternoon, Sony's site lists releases through the end of January. Volume 2 has not been posted as of yet, nor have I received a press release from Sony regarding a second set.

There goes the every three month theory. Actually, I'm not surprised. With volume one doing well (at least from online sales), releasing them too close together may capitalize sales from set 1 and possibly make future sets not do as well if they sandwich them  that close.

I'm hoping that they will release 3 sets annually (once every four months). As soon as I hear anything, I'll post it here first, as always.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Thanks for the info Stooged.  Here's a question about future releases I was going to post before I read your recent comments.  You've mentioned previously that a Volume 2 is on the table.  Does that mean Sony is considering which shorts to include, or if they'll even release a Volume 2 at all?  I assume by you comments at the top of this thread that there will, most likely, be a second set of shorts.  Can you confirm and clarify this for me, please. ???
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
Thank you for this update.

I've already made wallpapers for all 19 shorts, recorded the sound from all 19 shorts (so I can listen to them while on the computer), and have watched each of the 19 shorts about three times each!  I need another DVD set to work on.   8)

Since the earliest now looks like February, maybe I'll track down some of the older DVD's for the Three Stooges so I can play with them.
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline falsealarms

Selling very well from what I see. It's sold out at deepdiscount.com and won't ship out again until 12/9.

Offline bbug

My sense is they will likely release these in roughly the same pattern as all the studios release TV Series from the '50s - '90s.

Just as Stooged and Confused pointed out, they don't want to overlap releases too frequently and truncate the demand for the previous releases.

You just have to go on to Amazon and look up any old TV series.  They have all the release dates for the individual seasons - e.g., Mission Impossible, The Wild Wild West, Hawaii 5-0, The Brady Bunch.  There is quite a broad range for the time between releases - probably a function of how sales for previous releases are going.  Even with that range, the shortest interval appears to be approximately 4 months, but a more typical interval is 6 months.

Offline bbug

Just thought I mention the Amazon sales figures for DVD Set 1 are still quite respectable now 6 weeks post release:

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #165 in DVD (See Bestsellers in DVD)

Popular in these categories: (What's this?)
#1 in     DVD > Comedy > Parody & Spoof > Three Stooges
#13 in     DVD > Comedy > Series & Sequels
#18 in     DVD > Comedy > Television

Given how popular sales of TV serials have been over the last few years, to hang on in the top 20 after 6 weeks is very impressive for a bunch of 70+ year old shorts.  Given the 100s of new DVDs that come out every week, an overall rank of 165 is also impressive.  To give a few reference points to other venerable classics and resent high sellers: Citizen Kane (757), Young Frankenstein (216), Casablanca (280), GWTW (295), The Sound of Music (66), The Wizard of Oz (108), Star Wars: Episode III (156), Star Wars (IV-V - widescreen) (78), Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl (91), The Adventures of Indiana Jones (trilogy - widescreen) (81), It's a Wonderful Life (90), The Godfather Trilogy (104), Harry Potter (years 1 -5) (116), School House Rocks (124), Elf (152), Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection (158), Blazing Saddles (277), Fawlty Towers (289)

We're well into the holiday gift online ordering season, so it looks like DVD Set 1 is going to be a very popular item under the tree, or bush, or wherever one drops the gifts.

ThumpTheShoes

We're well into the holiday gift online ordering season, so it looks like DVD Set 1 is going to be a very popular item under the tree, or bush, or wherever one drops the gifts.

This struck me as insanely funny for some reason!    :laugh:
Maybe 'cos it's 4:30 in the morning?

Offline falsealarms

If a VOL 2 is put out, it will be interesting to see how "... Groans" and "Back to the Woods" look. Both are on an earlier DVD, and both look like they're in need of a lot of work.

Offline locoboymakesgood

That sucks we still haven't heard anything yet. I'm dying for Vol. 2.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead

I agree.  It's been almost two months since Volume 1 was released.  I'm still thinking late April for Volume 2 (since nothing has been said yet), so that means only two Volumes per year (and if they go the two years per Volume route, it will take a while to have all 190 shorts).  Maybe Sony tested the waters with Volume 1, and since it did well, they are now working on cleaning up more shorts?

It took forever for M*A*S*H to have all of their seasons released, and it looks like the same type of schedule will be given to the Three Stooges (even though its two different companies for each).
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Curley91

Ditto.  What is the delay?  I am impatiently waiting for the new set of shorts.  I hope the rest of the 12 do not go as slow as this one.  They should perhaps consider adding more shorts per set. 

Any day now..............  :-\ 

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

What color?   ;D

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
What color?   ;D

Classic.   ;D

Since I joined the forum after the news for the first Volume was popular, when was the first news released for Volume 1?

Offline locoboymakesgood

What color?   ;D
Black. With orange it's much harder.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography