Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

New Shemp DVD Scheduled for March 4

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
wish the Frank Sinatra new years show was on this. I just relocated by VHS of Three Stooges Festival (with the cover very similar to the collection set) and Its got a lot of PD stuff with Shemp on it. Always loved those GoodTimes cheapo VHS tapes. I seem to remember they put out like 5 Shemp collections of Stooges shorts in the late 80s I think it was.

Robin 

Offline busybuddy

wish the Frank Sinatra new years show was on this. I just relocated by VHS of Three Stooges Festival (with the cover very similar to the collection set) and Its got a lot of PD stuff with Shemp on it. Always loved those GoodTimes cheapo VHS tapes. I seem to remember they put out like 5 Shemp collections of Stooges shorts in the late 80s I think it was.

Robin 

Yeah, Goodtimes put out 5 tapes with 3 non-public domain Shemp shorts on each volume in the early nineties. They had some hard to find ones on there like Spooks, Cuckoo on A Choo-Choo, Three Hams on Rye, Shot in the Frontier, Wham! Bam! Slam!, Love at First Bite, Husbands Beware, Loose Loot, Baby Sitter's Jitters, and a few more.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline locoboymakesgood

That DVD cover is EXCELLENT! Classic Shemp!! Can't wait to pick this one up!!
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Justin T

Yeah, Goodtimes put out 5 tapes with 3 non-public domain Shemp shorts on each volume in the early nineties. They had some hard to find ones on there like Spooks, Cuckoo on A Choo-Choo, Three Hams on Rye, Shot in the Frontier, Wham! Bam! Slam!, Love at First Bite, Husbands Beware, Loose Loot, Baby Sitter's Jitters, and a few more.

They did indeed, I have all 5 Volumes of the Goodtimes Shemp VHS tapes. They had some great shorts on there.

I'm really looking foward to this Shemp DVD in March
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
Yeah, Now I can almost picture the covers. All were a different color theme with the same Stooge Pics I believe.

Robin

Curley91

All were a different color theme with the same Stooge Pics I believe.

I have volumes 1 and 2 of the collection, and have rented volume 3. 

At one time, I had even bought the entire Goodtimes DVD collection from Sam's Club.  Now, I just wish I could find it.   [pie]

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
nothing like bootleg stooges shorts being sold by legit dealers. And gettting them as a complete set as well.

Robin

Offline archiezappa

I'm looking forward to the new release of Shemp Howard on DVD.  I hope that this is the first of many volumes.  Are all the films included in the public domain?  What I'm getting at, is this.  Who owns the Vitaphone Shorts?  Are they public domain, or does Warner Bros. still own them?  I'd like to see several "Shemp Cocktail" volumes.  That would be a great thing to coincide with Sony's Three Stooges box sets.  It would be kinda like how the films originally came out.  You had Three Stooges shorts from one studio and Shemp Howard shorts from another studio at the same time.  Very interesting.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Who owns the Vitaphone Shorts?  Are they public domain, or does Warner Bros. still own them? 

The Vitaphone library is owned by Warner Brothers.  None of Shemp's Vitaphone comedies are public domain... the three V's on Passport's upcoming collection all have active WB copyright filings.

In recent years WB had a couple pd discs withdrawn from the market for copyright infringement, for including both Shemp Vitaphones and Healy/Stooge MGM shorts. Either Passport is taking a chance (most likely), or they have actually licensed these titles from Warners (unlikely).

Offline archiezappa

I hope this new Shemp DVD is legit.  If it is, then maybe more volumes will follow.  If not, then we need to be trying to get Warner Brothers to issue legit versions of the movies.  I guess it's the same kind of thing as the Three Stooges Columbia Shorts.

Offline FineBari3

I hope this new Shemp DVD is legit.  If it is, then maybe more volumes will follow.  If not, then we need to be trying to get Warner Brothers to issue legit versions of the movies.  I guess it's the same kind of thing as the Three Stooges Columbia Shorts.

That is what I am worried about. I am going to buy mine right as soon as it comes out.

BTW, archiezappa, I laughed out loud when I saw your avatar! I LOVE that stupid moustache on Larry!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline archiezappa

Oh yeah.  That's from "Yes We Have No Bonanza."  That's one of my favorite Stooges shorts.  I always thought the beginning was funny, with them singing and dancing and wearing those fake mustaches.  That's great!

As for the DVD, I hope it's legit.  Mainly because I'd like to see them release more volumes.  If they release it and it's a bootleg, then someone will get sued and other legal stuff may happen.  I wish someone would do it right and release all of Shemp's Vitaphone shorts legitimately in DVD volumes that we can all enjoy.  I hope those who own the rights can realize what a market they have for this stuff.

Offline locoboymakesgood

So, other than collector's copies, what Shemp Vitaphone's have been released on DVD? Besides the three in this collection, of course..

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
So, other than collector's copies, what Shemp Vitaphone's have been released on DVD? Besides the three in this collection, of course..

Officially/licensed by Warner Brothers, on DVD... none, so far.

Officially, only SMOKED HAMS (1934) has been released in any home video format... on "Cavalcade of Vitaphone Shorts Vol. 2," a laser disc box collection, back in 1995.

The VIDEOGRAPHY has info on earlier pd DVDs that include Shemp's Vitaphones. Look under "American Home Treasures" and "Catcom."

Curley91

I would really like to see "A Peach Of A Pair" or "Dizzy And Daffy" sometime.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Officially/licensed by Warner Brothers, on DVD... none, so far.

Officially, only SMOKED HAMS (1934) has been released in any home video format... on "Cavalcade of Vitaphone Shorts Vol. 2," a laser disc box collection, back in 1995.

The VIDEOGRAPHY has info on earlier pd DVDs that include Shemp's Vitaphones. Look under "American Home Treasures" and "Catcom."
Appreciate it. I'll have to check that out.. it's a shame Warner is sitting on these. They could have included some on their Meet the Baron/Gold Raiders release last year, or maybe even put out a small boxset to accompany Columbia's DVDs. It's a real shame; I thoroughly enjoy Shemp's Columbia solos and would assume these are just as funny if not better.

Offline archiezappa

Although I was never able to record it, I did see "A Peach Of A Pair" on TNT way back in the early 1990s.  It was really funny.  TNT used to show a lot of comedy shorts late at night.  That's when I first saw the MGM shorts with Ted Healy & His Stooges.  I also saw several of Shemp's Vitaphone shorts.  If I only had the technology then.  I would have all of them recorded.  It would be nice if they would at least broadcast some of this stuff.  But I would prefer if they would release them all on DVD.