Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

New Shemp DVD Scheduled for March 4

Offline garystooge

A new 2-disc Shemp DVD entitled “Shemp Cocktail: A Tribute to the Original Stooge”  is scheduled for release on March 4 by Passport International. Since this was posted, there was a change in the contents of the DVD. See shempcompany.com for the latest details.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 02:29:22 PM by falsealarms »

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
Sounds interesting.

I enjoy watching the Stooges (any of them) in movies outside of the Three Stooges.  I remember seeing Shemp as a Bartender in one movie.  It had the guy (I can't believe that I'm blanking on the name) who used to say "Go away kid you bother me!", also had a reddish nose.   ???
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline Justin T

WOW

I like the fact that they have interviews with Shemp's daughter-in-law and grandaughter.
That's the kind of extras that Sony needs to put on future DVD sets.

Pretty neat compiliation, I'd love to get my hands on those 1930's Shemp solos.

Oh and Moe, that was comedian W.C. Fields, Shemp co-starred in his 1940 movie The Bank Dick.

That's pretty cool news Gary, thanks!
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead

Oh and Moe, that was comedian W.C. Fields, Shemp co-starred in his 1940 movie The Bank Dick.

Thank you.  I can stop going crazy now (tried to think of the name without cheating and using the net...but it looks like I did by looking at this post   :laugh: )

Is "The Bank Dick" on DVD by any chance?
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline falsealarms

Thank you.  I can stop going crazy now (tried to think of the name without cheating and using the net...but it looks like I did by looking at this post   :laugh: )

Yes

xraffle

This seems like an interesting DVD, but I wish they didn't include those 3 public domain shorts. I mean, how many of those do we need??

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Cool idea for a DVD, although I thinked they could have picked some of Shemp's better solo shorts than the ones listed (ie. Dizzy and Daffy, Mr. Noisy). I hope Columbia will release the handful of Andy Clyde shorts Shemp co-starred in. I've seen only one -  Money Squawks and it is a scream.

And I would agree with xraffle about including the public domain shorts for the umpteenth time.

The rest of the DVD seems worthwhile, especially the interviews/memorabilia with Shemp's relatives.

Offline falsealarms

Cool idea for a DVD, although I thinked they could have picked some of Shemp's better solo shorts than the ones listed (ie. Dizzy and Daffy, Mr. Noisy). I hope Columbia will release the handful of Andy Clyde shorts Shemp co-starred in. I've seen only one -  Money Squawks and it is a scream.

And I would agree with xraffle about including the public domain shorts for the umpteenth time.

The rest of the DVD seems worthwhile, especially the interviews/memorabilia with Shemp's relatives.

I'd be much more inclined to buy if Dizzy and Daffy and Mr. Noise were on there.

Offline locoboymakesgood

This seems like an interesting DVD, but I wish they didn't include those 3 public domain shorts. I mean, how many of those do we need??
Well, it's not taking away from anything so I have no squabbles.

The solos they have featured are public domain as well, no? Isn't all of the content on this? I could be wrong..
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

ThumpTheShoes

Hundreds, and on every release! And... all from the same GoodTimes VHS release from 1986!

I hope Columbia will release the handful of Andy Clyde shorts Shemp co-starred in. I've seen only one -  Money Squawks and it is a scream.

Boobs in the Woods (now, there's a title to conjure with, eh?) is even better, IMHO.

I have the previous discs from Passport and they did a pretty decent job of releasing Knife of the Party and Henry the Ache before, although Henry may have material missing as it runs only 16 minutes (the filmography listing here has it at 19 minutes). Or, maybe it was a PAL to NTSC transfer?! The set also includes the Hollywood on Parade short with Ted Healy and the Boys.

I'll definitely grab this for the interviews and the inclusion of Private Buckaroo.

-Th

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

On this website, if a film is on DVD (or tape), Amazon.com links appear on the movie's Filmography page...

THE BANK DICK (1940), and Shemp Howard solo filmography.

Also, refer to this website's Videography...
Index of Three Stooges (and solo) DVD and tape home video, 1980 - Today.

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
On this website, if a film is on DVD (or tape), Amazon.com links appear on the movie's Filmography page...

THE BANK DICK (1940), and Shemp Howard solo filmography.

Also, refer to this website's Videography...
Index of Three Stooges (and solo) DVD and tape home video, 1980 - Today.

Good to know.  Thanks for the info.   8)

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Great News Gary!.   For This Shempaholic I'll be counting the days.

Robin

Curley91

This DVD sounds pretty good, but I'd like to see them release some of the other solos that we haven't seen already.

The home movie footage sounds really interesting, and so do the outtakes.  I always enjoy watching the Stooges on the Ed Wynn show as well. 

But do we really need more releases for the famous PD shorts?

ThumpTheShoes

But do we really need more releases for the famous PD shorts?

Yes:

Hundreds, and on every release! And... all from the same GoodTimes VHS release from 1986!

Sorry! Couldn't resist reiterating! And, I do realize that me quoting myself = instant ignore button but, hey! What else you expect from a "Chucklehead"?!

-Th

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
That is true, the P.D, shorts  are always seen but always enjoyed as well. It would be nice to see some of the Columbia ShempShorts as well.  Gary, do you know if they are public domain?  The ones I have start out with the Screen Gems pic so am I right to assume these were shown on TV.

Robin

Offline locoboymakesgood

That is true, the P.D, shorts  are always seen but always enjoyed as well. It would be nice to see some of the Columbia ShempShorts as well.  Gary, do you know if they are public domain?  The ones I have start out with the Screen Gems pic so am I right to assume these were shown on TV.

Robin
I'm sure Gary will have a more thorough answer, but the shorts included on this set aren't from his Columbia years. The copyrights on all of these expired eons ago. The Columbia ones still have copyright.

I'm assuming the Shemp solos you're talking about are the ones making the rounds through the trading community here.. those are his Columbia shorts.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline garystooge

Here's an advance look at the artwork for the Shemp DVD:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
Ahh, Classic Shemp Mugging photo.  Thanks Gary. Can't wait til March 4th now.

Robin

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
Image looks great!  Now I can look forward to this, along with Volume 2 of the Three Stooges.   8)

Offline Justin T

Thanks for posting the DVD cover art Gary, looks great. I'm definatly grabbing
this in March.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Hammond Eggar

Thanks for posting the DVD cover art Gary, looks great. I'm definatly grabbing
this in March.

Yeah me, too!  It seems like a great time to be a Stooges fan, as far as DVDs go. ;D
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline busybuddy

That may be the ugliest picture of Shemp ever taken. Hilarious!
I think Birdie will go for that!

Curley91

I like that cover image!  I will be wating anxiously for the March 4th release! 

Now if we only knew when the next boxed set was coming out........

Offline Monofletch

Shemp has always been my favorite Stooge!!
Dewy Cheatem and How

If you had a dollar in this pocket...and a dollar in that pocket what would you have? Some one else's pants!