Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

What do YOU think #2?

busybuddy · 38 · 19069

Offline busybuddy

Since the underrated/overrated topic seemed to be pretty popular, I've decided to post one that I've been thinking about that's along the same lines.

What is one Stooges' short that every fan thinks is a classic? Not the funniest exactly, but one that everyone agrees is a fantastic short.

I personally would have to say Micro-Phonies.
I think Birdie will go for that!

ThumpTheShoes

Disorder in the Court

Courtroom shows never go out of style!

Offline locoboymakesgood

Violent Is the Word For Curly

The whole Swingin' the Alphabet routine made its way into pop culture. I enjoy it, although it's not one of my personal favorites. I think everyone would agree though that it's "classic" Stooges at their finest.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline busybuddy

Violent Is the Word For Curly

The whole Swingin' the Alphabet routine made its way into pop culture. I enjoy it, although it's not one of my personal favorites. I think everyone would agree though that it's "classic" Stooges at their finest.

I think this one is a lot like An Ache in Every Stake in a sense that although it's nobody's #1 favorite, there's no doubt that it is a classic and quentessential stooges.

Offline Justin T

I think most fans agree that You Natzi Spy! and its sequel I'll Never Heil Again are classics.
Esp Natzi because it not only was the first satirazation of Hitler from Hollywood (beating
Chaplin's The Great Dictator by a few months) making it historic but its also very funny with
wonderful jabs at both the Natzi's and European Politics of the time. Heil is just as good if not
better.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Curley91

Three Little Beers.  This is probably my all-time favorite. 

xraffle

I'm with locoboymakesgood. Violent Is the Word For Curly is definitely a classic. I never get tired of that Swingin' the Alphabet routine. Though, Three Little Beers comes in second.

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
I think most fans agree that You Natzi Spy! and its sequel I'll Never Heil Again are classics.
Esp Natzi because it not only was the first satirazation of Hitler from Hollywood (beating
Chaplin's The Great Dictator by a few months) making it historic but its also very funny with
wonderful jabs at both the Natzi's and European Politics of the time. Heil is just as good if not
better.

I agree, and was going to use one, if not both of these as my answer.
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

stooged and confused

"Violent Is The Word For Curly", primarily because of the alphabet song. It's not one of their better films sans that scene. It tends to drag. Best lines: Mrs. Catsby: "Mildew has a lovely student body." MOE: "Your's wouldn't be so bad either if you took off 20 pounds." When Curly was being thawed out in the woods Moe says: "20 minutes to the pound. Ha ha, we'll be here a month."

Other than that, it doesn't have that many great scenes.

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
I would have to say that I do agree with "Stooged and Confused" "Violent Is The Word For Curly" was great due to the song "Swinging The Alphabet."  And the thawing out of Curly and I am not even a real Curly Fan.  My real favourite is "Malice In The Palace" and "Hula-La-La." Shemp.  I am a Shemp Fan.

Moron4392 

[3stooges]
 [pie]

Offline busybuddy

I just remembered one that I think is on everyone's classics list, Crash Goes the Hash.

I would have to say that I do agree with "Stooged and Confused" "Violent Is The Word For Curly" was great due to the song "Swinging The Alphabet."  And the thawing out of Curly and I am not even a real Curly Fan.  My real favourite is "Malice In The Palace" and "Hula-La-La." Shemp.  I am a Shemp Fan.

Moron4392 

[3stooges]
 [pie]

Even though many women do in fact like the stooges, I've never come across one that likes Shemp! My middle school english teacher said she liked the stooges, but she hated "the greasy haired one."

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear "Busy Buddy:"

Yes I am a died in the wool "Shemp-a-holic."  I have my bedroom and office totally done in Shemp (which I painted on the walls from my favourite shorts plus pictures and so forth).  And my computer is totally customized in Shemp including my screen saver.  It was "Shempers" who made me a Stooges Fan with his short "Malice In The Palace."  Glad to see someone who also likes in my opion the "Best Stooge."

I closing please have yourself a very safe and Blessed Merry Christmas and the best to all of you and your family for the New Year.

Shemp Rules:

Moron4392

Offline archiezappa

I would have to say "Brideless Groom."  It's probably the most famous Shemp episode.  It has two of their best supporting players:  Emil Sitka and Christine McIntyre.  It has that famous Cousin Basil routine.  And, as an added bonus, Christine McIntyre singing "Voices Of Spring." 

As said before, this is probably nobody's #1 favorite, but it's definitely a classic.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"

Offline Hammond Eggar

I think this one is a lot like An Ache in Every Stake in a sense that although it's nobody's #1 favorite, there's no doubt that it is a classic and quentessential stooges.

I beg-to-differ.  An Ache in Every Stake actually IS my favorite Stooges short.  I'd like to add A-Plumbing We Will Go, Brideless Groom and Who Done It? to the list.  These tend to be among the most popular titles.  While I enjoy both of the Shemp titles, it surprises me that a great number of fans have elivated them to classic status.

For me personally, I'd like to think that Three Little Beers is a classic.  It is to me.  Micro-Phonies is another short that seems to get the lion's share of praise among fans.  As for Violent is the Word for Curly, calling it a classic because of "Swingin' the Alphabet" is like calling Gents Without Cents a classic just because of the "Niagra Falls" routine.  What about Punch Drunks?  I'd have no problem with it being added to a list of Stooges classics. ;D
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Monofletch

The one that has Shemp in the haunted house looking for a phone number......"North east section....south east section...pretty soon we will all be in sections!"  The title escapes me at the moment....

or (my personal favorite)

"Yokes on Me!" favorite line, "Look! A pelican!!!!"

Dewy Cheatem and How

If you had a dollar in this pocket...and a dollar in that pocket what would you have? Some one else's pants!

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
I believe that was "Dopey Dicks". I hope so, been awile since I've seen it.

Robin

Offline Monofletch

I think you are right.  I will watch my entire collection over the Christmas holiday...so i will let you know! LOL!
Dewy Cheatem and How

If you had a dollar in this pocket...and a dollar in that pocket what would you have? Some one else's pants!

moe-jo

Disorder in the Court

Courtroom shows never go out of style!

I vote this one too.

1).  Moe is cute in it.

2).  If Curly were a defendant in Judge Judy's court, then the results would be hilarious.

xraffle

If Curly were a defendant in Judge Judy's court, then the results would be hilarious.

I agree. I'd like to see him in Judge Judy's Court calling her "judgy wudgy" or saying "Thanks courty, you're a pal!"

Attorney: Address the judge as "Your honor!"
Curly: Well, it was like this, my honor.
Attorney: Your honor! Not my honor.

moe-jo

and Judy would probably be screaming at him.  And then Moe would be Curly's witness and start screaming back at her.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
One Curly Classic I know everyone admires "An Ache In Every Stake"     the whole shaving the ice routine and the birthday cake made with gas  and the imfamous STEPS!   Admit it everyone loves those steps.

Robin

moe-jo

and moe tells curly to shave the ice and curly literally shaves  the ice.  Classic.

Offline Double Deal Decker

"Dizzy Detectives", "Who Done It?", "A Pain In The Pullman", to name a few.

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
I would like to add my thoughts please if you do not mind.  From Malice In The Palace when Vernon Dent (I hope I am correct) as Hassan Ben Sober says I am the great Hassan Ben Sober and Shemp replies I have had a few too many myself.

Plus one more and again I do appologize for being a nusiance.  I think it is from "Who Done It? when Shemp is with Christine McIntyre and she is trying to poison him and he says to her "A few pip pips a little bar-be-cue and what have you."

Thank you
Moron4392 [3stooges]