Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

What Shorts Are You Looking Forward To In Volume Two?

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
Since we'll probably have a wait for the next volume to come out, I decided to make a topic about the next series of shorts that should come out on DVD.

I'm guessing that it will be another three year set (1937-1939), and if so I'll be excited for:

- Playing the Ponies
- Flat Foot Stooges
- Healthy, Wealthy, and Dumb
- Three Little Sew and Sews
- We Want Our Mummy

I have favorite shorts for these three years, but the above are shorts that I haven't seen in years and don't have on tape.

Which shorts are you excited for?
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Curley91

I'll be looking forward to "Grips, Grunts And Groans," and "Back To The Woods" mainly.  I have pretty decent copies of the rest of them.  I think these two are in the worst quality on the prior DVD releases.   

Offline locoboymakesgood

From what I understand the rest of the sets up until the Besser years should be two years a piece.. with between 16 and 18 shorts a pop. The only exception would be the finaly Curly years, which would encompass three years becausse of Half-Wits Holiday's January 1947 release.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Hammond Eggar

From what I understand the rest of the sets up until the Besser years should be two years a piece.. with between 16 and 18 shorts a pop. The only exception would be the finaly Curly years, which would encompass three years becausse of Half-Wits Holiday's January 1947 release.

I hope the final Curly set also includes the Columbia feature film Rockin' in the Rockies.  That would make a nice addition to that set.  As for the shorts I'm most excited to see, I'd have to go with Three Little Sew and Sews and We Want Our Mummy.  I haven't seen either of these shorts proprely since the 1980s when I taped them off of WTBS.  As for favorite, I've always had a soft spot for Cash and CarryThree Missing Links is one I'm looking forward to seeing, as well.  While previous prints I've seen weren't horrible, they certainly could've used some cleaning up.  It'll be nice to see what the people at Sony do with this short.  1937 and 1938 appear to be two stellar years for the Stooges, featuring such gems as Healthy, Wealthy and Dumb, Violent is the Word for Curly and Flat Foot Stooges.  I'm really looking forward to the next batch of shorts.  If they look anything like the ones on the first DVD set, then we're all in for a great, big treat. ;D
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"

Two years per set is okay...but it just means that it will take longer for all the shorts to be released compared to a three year/set schedule.
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline bbug

I'd have to agree with Hammond Eggar, '37 - '38 were such banner years for the Stooges in terms of the character development, the quality of the writing, the quality of the "Stooge stock company" and the quality of the productions, I'd find it easier to pick out shorts in that period I'm not particularly excited about seeing worked up according to the very high standards Sony has kept to for the transfers on volume 1.

I guess I am particularly looking forward to:
     Cash and Carry
     Three Little Sew and Sews
     We Want Our Mummy
     Mutts to You
     Tassels in the Air
since they are all lots of fun and haven't been on DVD, yet.

I'm particularly fond of the banter between Irish cop Bud Jamison and the boys, which manages to squeeze in two very politically incorrect racial burlesques:

(Stooges exit from their walkup apartment, Curly dressed as a wash maid carrying a baby.  The door on the apartment has a sign stating - "No Dogs or Babies Allowed!")
Bud: (with thick Irish accent) Toppa tha mahrning, to ya!
(All three Stooges look very uncomfortable and cagey)
Mo: (with a slight Irish accent) How ahr ya', Mr. O'Haloran.  I want you to meet me sister - Mrs. Dennis O'Toole.  She just came over on the boat from Ireland.
Bud: Ah - Mrs. O'Toole is it - from me 'ole sod.  A fine brahth ofa bayh ya' have there Mrs. O'Toole.  Is he on th bahttle, yet.
Curly: (dressed as Mrs. O'Toole and holding baby): Hmm - I should say not.  He don't smoke, drink, nor chew (walks away).
Bud: Oh - Mrs. O'Toole (with a beaming smile) You know (following Curly), Mrs. O'Toole (puts his hand on Curly's shoulder who flinches and pulls away) Oh, I beg yahr, pahrdon.  (chuckling) You remind me of a cahleen I once knew in the county Kerry (Camera drops to a medium shot of their legs where you can see the landlord turn on a set of sprinklers to water street level flower boxes).
Curly: (with the sponges in his stockings visibly swelling) And you remind me of a cop I once knew in the county jail.
Bud: (boisterous laugh - shot of Mo alarmed when he sees the swelling stockings - appealing to the baby) Camawn over and see Officer O'Halloran.  (chuckling) Let me see the baby.  Ah. that's a fine brawthe ofa bayh.
(Larry and Curly both do a worried take noticing the effect of the sprinklers)
Mo: (interjecting with urgency - crossing in front of O'Halloran with Curly and Larry in tow - Curly grabbing the baby back who starts to cry) We better be going, sis, we'll miss that train!
Curly: Yeah - good-bye, officer.
Larry: Yeah - come on - let's get outta here.
Mo: be seein' ya'.
Bud: (laughing - with a broad, beaming smile) Good-bye, Mrs. O'Toole, ha ha (looks briefly off after Stooges - then back to the camera still smiling) I tell ya' now, there's... (does an alarmed double-take)
(shot of boys walking away with  Curly's stockings now bursting with soaked sponges)
Curly: We'll take the baggage car.
Larry: I wish we were both going on that train.
Bud: (looks mortified and alarmed): Ehhh!.  Wait a minute!  Why that's the kidnappers! Come back here (starts to run toward Stooges)!
(boys look back for 1/2 second - then turn and run)
Bud: (chasing after the Stooges off camera left) Come back here, you kidnappers!  You can't get away with that!
(cut away to parents chasing by car after their dog who's on the scent of the baby)
(cut back to Bud looking into the front door of the Wong Ho Lee Chinese laundry, as Mo & Larry in Chinese coolie costumes, hands in sleeves, eyes squinting, rise out of the sidewalk loading elevator with a large laundry basket on wheels between them)
Mo: (Mo & Larry fiddling with the basket) Oolah, lo...
Bud: Hey - hold on there - just a minute.  Ain't I seen you some where before?
Mo: (loudly - nodding head toward Larry) Oonow bugi-ow de goh uh!!
(camera slowly pans to right centering on Bud and Larry who first lears then smiles at him with squinty eyes and hands crossed in opposite sleeves)
Bud: And what part of China would you be from, may I ask?
Larry: (in pig Yiddish) Evena china boychick from slovucking bearna hock me a chinick and I don't mean efshah
(camera pulls back to show all three)
Mo: (squinty eyed and hands in sleeves) He from China - east side (Larry smiles and nods in agreement)!
Bud: Well - I think we'll take a little walk over to the WEST side - to tha police station. (With stepping around basket to grab Mo by the back of the collar) Come along now.
Mo: Omagah Olay (as Bud gets in front of the basket to open the police phone box) Okay - Lally - giiive!  (waving him on) Okay!
(Larry knocks Bud down by shoving the basket into him from behind)
Bud: (falling) Oh!!!
(shot of Curly & baby shaking around inside basket)
Mo: (under breath as Larry and Mo run off camera left with basket) Come on!
Bud: (getting up and chasing them off left) Come 'ere, you! Come back here!

I'm also looking forward to "Oily to Bed, Oily to Rise", since this is one of the very first shorts I remember seeing lo some 35 years back.  It's also got a great story, wonderful cast, and there's just something about seeing Curly plugging an oil gusher that makes me laugh - sort of "The Stooges as a triumphal force of nature" - sort of the opposite pole of the chaotic gamut epitomized in Half-Shot Shooters, where The Stooges when wedded with the right (or wrong) technology, become a primal chaotic force of destruction.  I've also become fond of seeing Richard Fiske do his well-healed aggressive counter-attack of The Stooges (think "Boobs in Arms"), since I learned (from this site - http://www.threestooges.net/cast.php?id=164) that Fiske who's most memorable Stooge performance is as their NCO in the army, died shortly after D-Day having reached the rank of 1st Lieutenant (9th Infantry, 2nd Division).  As link above mentions, "He was awarded the Purple Heart, Bronze Star, and other honors. He is buried at Brittany American Cemetery in France."  I expect given what a good family man and business man Mo was, he was terribly broken up to have lost such a wonderful colleague in the prime of his career.

Regarding the packaging in 2 or 3 year groupings, I suppose Sony is trying to come up with an optimal trade-off between the excitement (and increased sales) that comes with a new release, overall inducement based on the number of shorts in each volume, aggressive pricing to boost unit sales, handle the different cost to fully restore any individual short, not space releases so far apart that the series looses marketing and sales momentum, and still pull in some sales on the existing DVDs.  Perhaps as they analyze the sales figures, they may eventually decide to adjust the number of years covered up or down, to ultimately draw the greatest profit/short.

Offline archiezappa

I must say that I'm looking forward to all of them.  Wow!  I am really impressed with the excellent video and sound quality of the new set.  It is AWESOME!!!  I'll buy every set that Sony puts out.  I don't need special features.  These episodes in this condition are worth every penny.  Great set!

Offline locoboymakesgood

Im so glad they have the color option!!!
The new sets don't have the color option.

The 4 shoddy releases from 2004 and 2006 do. There's 16 shorts total that were colorized by Sony. You can find those on eBay and retail outlets like FYE.

These new ones are in restored B&W and in their original release order - much better than the old releases. Even they're not in color I still highly recommend purchasing these new sets, the shorts look brand new.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline DJEvelEd

Well that stinks. I saw it said color on Amazon and I took the liberty of thinking the DVD would be in color. What's with Amazon? They're LIARS! Well in 5 years we will get sqeezed for the super duper "Colorized Box Set" which I will schlep out to pick up. I think color's a nice option although I love old B&W flicks. It's just something different.

Best Buy and Fye did not have the set. They had other tired box sets and a bunch of the usual Sony discs. Such frogheads...

Offline falsealarms

In 37-38, I'm especially anxious to see - Cash and Carry, Mutts, Tassels, Flat Foot, and H,W & D.

I prefer 34-36 to 37-38. Your mileage will vary, but on the whole, there's greater quality in 34-36 than there was in 37-38. There's more personal favorites for me in 34-36 as opposed to 37-38. The 37-38 DVD will include Back to the Woods, one of the worst non-sick era Curly shorts IMO.

xraffle

I'm guessing that it will be another three year set (1937-1939), and if so I'll be excited for:

It will most likely be the next two years (1937-1938) which will contain the next 16 shorts.

Anyway, I look forward to "Cash and Carry."

Offline Justin T

It will most likely be the next two years (1937-1938) which will contain the next 16 shorts.

Anyway, I look forward to "Cash and Carry."

Me too, Cash and Carry is one of my favorites. There are some good ones from the 37-38 era
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Waldo Twitchell

I would have to say Back to the Woods because like many others I think it's the least impressive short from the time period. So, I'm looking forward to seeing a pristine version of it if nothing else. The other would be Flat Foot Stooges because I currently have a 3rd generation copy taped from TBS 20 years ago.

Seeing these new DVD prints is similar to the revelation I had when I finally broke down and got glasses for night driving. I couldn't believe the clarity and how I'd become accustomed to being near-sighted for so many years.

ThumpTheShoes

Grips, Grunts And Groans, primarily. Bustoff has been in dire need of a remaster for years, now.
We Want Our Mummy and Cash and Carry, too! Oh, and wouldn't it be nice to have that cartoony, TV syndication title card for Cash and Carry as a bonus? That was always included when the film played on WTBS in the 80's.

-Th

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear DJEvelED:

Have you chequed Overstock.com?  They have everything featuring the Stooges.  I got my volume one from them and it came with both the black and white versions as well as the colourized ones.  I only paid 17.98 plus 1.98 post.

Moron4392

xraffle

Dear DJEvelED:

Have you chequed Overstock.com?  They have everything featuring the Stooges.  I got my volume one from them and it came with both the black and white versions as well as the colourized ones.  I only paid 17.98 plus 1.98 post.

Moron4392

???  ???  ???

Offline Hammond Eggar

Oh, and wouldn't it be nice to have that cartoony, TV syndication title card for Cash and Carry as a bonus? That was always included when the film played on WTBS in the 80's.

-Th

Hey, Thump.  Can you elaborate on the title card you mentioned.  It doesn't ring a bell for me.  You're not reffering to the Screen Gems opening, are you? ???
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline JazzBill

I'm looking forward to seeing some cleaned up versions of " Dizzy Doctors " " Sitter Downers " and "Three  Missing Links " in Volume ll. ( I hope Sony doesn't send me the colorized version like they sent to Moron4392    ??? )
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

xraffle

I'm looking forward to seeing some cleaned up versions of " Dizzy Doctors " " Sitter Downers " and "Three  Missing Links " in Volume ll. ( I hope Sony doesn't send me the colorized version like they sent to Moron4392    ??? )

I already have cleaned up versions of those from the previous DVD releases. Some shorts that I would like to see cleaned up are "Grips, Grunts, and Groans" and "Back To The Woods."

And I'm glad I'm not the only one confused about Moron4392's post. I have absolutely no idea what DVD he received in the mail.

ThumpTheShoes

Hey, Thump.  Can you elaborate on the title card you mentioned.  It doesn't ring a bell for me.  You're not reffering to the Screen Gems opening, are you? ???

As I understand it (and I could be 110% wrong!) When these films were originally being offered for syndication, this film was to be the "pilot", basically, For the entire package. It featured a 20 second, or so, silent title card, which was drawn up featuring cartoony Stooges and the title of the short. The artwork popped up after the Screen Gems fanfare and before the short began.

The title card was always seen when the short aired on, you guessed it, WTBS in the 80's, and I kinda miss it. There was a real reason for it being there, but I forget why. Something about themed shows, or blending with intros or something.

ThumpTheShoes

I already have cleaned up versions of those from the previous DVD releases. Some shorts that I would like to see cleaned up are "Grips, Grunts, and Groans" and "Back To The Woods."

And I'm glad I'm not the only one confused about Moron4392's post. I have absolutely no idea what DVD he received in the mail.

Do you suppose he got one of those deals where you get the colourised disc as an extra? That's all I can figure! But then again, every other word going through my tiny brain has to do with Shlaphappy Shloofs... er, Floofs! Floofy!

Ferget it!

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
I would like to appologize about everything if I sounded confusing.  What I was trying to say about my post is that it was a double collection.  One of them in black and white and the other in colour.

Moron4392

xraffle

I would like to appologize about everything if I sounded confusing.  What I was trying to say about my post is that it was a double collection.  One of them in black and white and the other in colour.

Moron4392

I'm still confused. Does that mean that you have colorized versions of the first 19 shorts?

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Xraffle:

Yes I do have a colourized version of the first set of shorts.  I got them as a bonus with the black and whites and to tell you the truth the coloured ones are not that great.

Moron4392