Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

My DVD Review: 1934-1936

Guest · 3 · 1892

Curley91

My copy of the DVD set FINALLY came today as well.  I have had a chance to take a glance through just about all of the shorts. 

First of all, I have to agree that most of the shorts look MUCH better than they did on previous video and DVD releases.  To name a few, "Three Little Beers," "Pardon My Scotch," "Hoi Polloi," "Movie Maniacs," "Restless Knights," "Uncivil Warriors" and "Woman Haters" looked fantastic.  I couldn't get over the magnificent restoration job for "A Pain In The Pullman."  It looked like a totally different film.  These were all as clear as a bell. 

I was also happy to see that they used the original title music for "False Alarms."

However, I was disappointed with a couple shorts.  For one, "Pop Goes The Easel" looked a lot worse on this set than it did on the earlier Chromachoice DVD.  They should have recycled the same version.  I thought that "Punch Drunks" was in better quality on the colorized DVD as well.   
Also, the quality of "Whoops, I'm An Indian!" is not quite as good as it was on the previous "Healthy, Wealthy And Dumb" DVD.  It is quite grainy, and a little too dark. 

All in all, this is a great set to have in your collection.  The few problems are minor.  Good things DO come to the people who wait.  I can't wait to see the future volumes come forward. 

Rating: 9.8/10
An 'A' for effort and restoration!

Offline falsealarms

I get question marks instead of pictures. Try uploading to imageshack.us - a comparison to the older DVD would be good to see on here.

xraffle

falsealarms- Yesterday, I posted my own review and provided several screenshots. If you want me to post other ones, let me know what kind of screenshot you want and I'll add it onto my post.
http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=1933.0

Curley91- Your complaints were the exact complaints I had. This is why I advise people not to get rid of their older DVDs.