Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

My Review on "The Three Stooges Collection 1934-36" DVD

Guest · 21 · 7957

xraffle

I just received my set in the mail today. I watch the first five shorts already and I glanced through the other fourteen just to see how the quality is. Let me just warn you that I'm very anal retentive and shemps#1 has made that clear about me a few years back. So, don't take what I say personally. I just want to give my honest opinion on this set.

First, let me just say that this is a magnificent set to own. Majority, but not all, shorts look the best I've ever seen. Some shorts like A Pain In The Pullman, Three Little Beers, Pardon My Scotch, False Alarms, and Slippery Silks look amazing. I've never ever seen those shorts look so crisp and sharp. A Pain In The Pullman is no longer shaky, so no more headaches when watching this short. False Alarms doesn't have a jumpy picture anymore unlike the older VHS and TV prints.

Now, certain shorts that were used on the chromachoice DVDs look both better and worse on this new DVD set. Shorts such as Punch Drunk and Men In Black look sharper in detail on this new DVD set. However, they are darker than the prints used on the chromachoice DVD. But, both versions look fantastic in their own way. Now, there's one exception. Disorder In The Court looks the best I've ever seen on this set. It looks far better than any of those other million versions I've seen.

There are some cons regarding this set. Whoops I'm An Indian looks worse than what was used on the "Healthy, Wealthy, and Dumb" DVD. I wished Sony would have used the same print and just cleaned it up for this new set.

Another con about this set is that the beginning part on some of the music seem to be clipped off a tad bit at the very beginning. This is very obvious on Three Little Pigskins, Restless Knights, and Pop Goes The Easel. Sony should have been a little more careful about this. It really isn't a big problem, but it would have been nice if the songs weren't cut off.

Overall, it's a great set. I'm impressed by most of the shorts. Was it worth the long wait? Yeah, I guess it was, though I wished Sony used the best possible elements for all the shorts.

None of the cons are really severe. I really do thank Sony for releasing this set and I hope they continue to release future volumes.

NOTE: For those of you complaining about no extras, just remember that you are getting 19 shorts for only $20. If I were paying more, then I'll complain. But at that great price, I'm not going to complain at all.

Anyway, here are a several screenshots that prove some of my points. If any of you would like me to provide other screenshots, please let me know and I'll be glad to post them.

Disorder In The Court
Chromachoice DVD
Volume 1 DVD

Pop Goes The Easel
Chromachoice DVD
Volume 1 DVD

Men In Black
Chromachoice DVD
Volume 1 DVD

Punch Drunks
Chromachoice DVD
Volume 1 DVD

Whoops I'm An Indian
"Healthy, Wealthy, and Dumb" DVD
Volume 1 DVD

Slippery Silks
VHS release
Volume 1 DVD

A Pain In The Pullman
VHS release
Volume 1 DVD
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 11:40:21 AM by xraffle »

ThumpTheShoes

Xraffle,
I am so with you on the music clipping-- I still have a couple of Shemps from tv that have the end card music cut short and it just seems so very incomplete...

Another thing that surprised me is that Whoops I'm An Indian looks worse than what was used on the "Healthy, Wealthy, and Dumb" DVD. I wished Sony would have used the same print and just cleaned it up for this new set.

I took your screenshot from the new dvd and reduced the contrast a little. Have a look:

I think the detail is all there, note particularly the detail in the trees and in moe's face. Looks like, however the black levels were tweaked too much for the final video file-- maybe these were fine tuned for brighter (torch-mode?) sets. Ultimately, the picture is quite comparable in detail to the previous release with the added bonus that it isn't so zoomed.

An excellent review, by the way, and I hope the wait wasn't too painful for you!!

And Stooged and Confused, you are taking down all these nitpicks for the Sony people, right? Gotta have the bad with the good!

-Th

Offline locoboymakesgood

Excellent review, x. I'm glad you finally received your copy. I agree whole-heartedly on your little nitpicks. The music missing at the end of kind of bugs me too, I guess we may just be completists.. but even on the ChromaChoice discs, the end credits would freeze before the Columbia logo would fade out. Irked the hell out of me! Small imperfection, I know, but I like my shorts to be *complete*.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why the "slowing" during the final scene in Half-Shot Shooters is still there? Was it like that when originally released? It's just so noticeable.. I remember watching it on AMC and seeing it like that, not to mention my old VHS tapes. I'm glad they cleaned the print up, I'm just curious if that was how it was "back in the day".
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
Nice comparison pics there xraffle.

I can tell some difference in the two, but since I only had one DVD previous to getting this set I don't feel like I had to double-dip any episodes.

Either version is still WAY better than my old VHS copies.   ;D
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

xraffle

I took your screenshot from the new dvd and reduced the contrast a little. Have a look:

Yeah, I think the main problem is that some of the shorts are a bit dark. Like I said, these are just minor problems. The fact that I'm getting all these shorts for $20, I'm still happy with the set.

Offline falsealarms

Great screen shot comp's. I have the DVD but still nice to see them. The difference is clear on most.

Offline Hammond Eggar

It's nice to finally get an opportunity to read your thoughts on the new DVDs, Xraffle.  It's about time.  Last night I watched Movie Maniacs and was struck by two things I'd never seen before.  One envolves Curly making pancakes.  Someone here pointed out that you can see a hand toss the pancake up on the ceiling.  I put the DVD in slow-motion and, sure enough, there was a hand.  Hmm, how had I missed this all these years.  I've been watching the Stooges since I was a child back in the 1980s.  I guess I just passed it off as a shadow.

The second envolves a scene I don't recall EVER seeing before.  Over the years I have owned three copies of this short.  The first was a VHS copy taped off (W)TBS back in the mid-80s.  The second was off of AMC, and the third is from this new DVD set.  The scene in question is the kissing scene in which a woman refers to Curly as Mr. Howard.  Am I missing something?  I don't recall this scene being included in ANY print I've ever seen.  At least I've never seen it aired on TV before.  It sure was a surprise to me to see it for the first time last night.  I'm not losing my mind, am I?  It was edited out of many TV broadcasts, right? ???
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
The second envolves a scene I don't recall EVER seeing before.  Over the years I have owned three copies of this short.  The first was a VHS copy taped off (W)TBS back in the mid-80s.  The second was off of AMC, and the third is from this new DVD set.  The scene in question is the kissing scene in which a woman refers to Curly as Mr. Howard.  Am I missing something?  I don't recall this scene being included in ANY print I've ever seen.  At least I've never seen it aired on TV before.  It sure was a surprise to me to see it for the first time last night.  I'm not losing my mind, am I?  It was edited out of many TV broadcasts, right? ???

I was wondering about that too.  My VHS recording of Movie Maniacs was from AMC so I thought that it was uncut...but apparently not since the first time that I ever saw the kissing scene was on the new DVD.
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline Justin T

It's nice to finally get an opportunity to read your thoughts on the new DVDs, Xraffle.  It's about time.  Last night I watched Movie Maniacs and was struck by two things I'd never seen before.  One envolves Curly making pancakes.  Someone here pointed out that you can see a hand toss the pancake up on the ceiling.  I put the DVD in slow-motion and, sure enough, there was a hand.  Hmm, how had I missed this all these years.  I've been watching the Stooges since I was a child back in the 1980s.  I guess I just passed it off as a shadow.

Yes, it was edited out.

The "kissing" scene was, for some reason, considered too risque for TV and it was edited out of the TV version for
broadcast. I have the short on its last Columbia VHS release and the scene was edited back in if I recall correctly

Check out the listing for Movie Maniacs on this site.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

xraffle

Yes, it was edited out.

The "kissing" scene was, for some reason, considered too risque for TV and it was edited out of the TV version for
broadcast. I have the short on its last Columbia VHS release and the scene was edited back in if I recall correctly

Check out the listing for Movie Maniacs on this site.

Yes, the VHS copy is unedited. However, the print on the new DVD is far superior than the VHS print. That's another short I failed to mention that looks amazing.

xraffle

Another thing I failed to mention in my review is that Woman Haters, Punch Drunks, Men In Black and Three Little Pigskins look far better than the prints used on the 'Curly Classics' DVD. The most obvious difference is Woman Haters. In the 'Curly Classics' DVD, the print was terrible, while on this set, the quality is great and it looks like it was filmed yesterday.

I was also very pleased that "Three Little Beers" was fully restored and unedited. The older VHS and TV prints all look and sound terrible. The picture was bright and the sound was very scratchy. However, on this new DVD set, the quality is fantastic.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The scene in question is the kissing scene in which a woman refers to Curly as Mr. Howard.  Am I missing something?  I don't recall this scene being included in ANY print I've ever seen.  At least I've never seen it aired on TV before.  It sure was a surprise to me to see it for the first time last night.  I'm not losing my mind, am I?  It was edited out of many TV broadcasts, right? ???

Explained in the short's filmography entry...
MOVIE MANIACS (1936)

Offline scgenres

I, too, thought I was going crazy when I watched it.  I immediately checked a previous copy and, sure enough, the scene was there, but I do not remember ever seeing it.  I guess I have seen so many copies without it that it went unnoticed in my collection.

If you think about it, though, this is one scene that Sony could have edited, and the cut would probably not have been missed.  Perhaps they are finally going out of their way to give us complete shorts?!?   Let's just hope that they fix the scene in "Micro-Phonies".  Although I have never seen an uncut episode with that scene, the scene IS complete (as far as the line in question goes) in the movie "Stop, Look, and Laugh."  Are ya listening, Sony??? Do some creative editing!!!

xraffle

If you think about it, though, this is one scene that Sony could have edited, and the cut would probably not have been missed. 

Not really! All my life I've seen "Movie Maniacs" uncut. I've always had the VHS copy and have never watched this on TV. I'm sure a lot of other stooge fans would notice it too. I would have been very angry if this short was edited on the new set. I thank Sony for being careful and giving us the unedited version!!

Offline locoboymakesgood

Not really! All my life I've seen "Movie Maniacs" uncut. I've always had the VHS copy and have never watched this on TV. I'm sure a lot of other stooge fans would notice it too. I would have been very angry if this short was edited on the new set. I thank Sony for being careful and giving us the unedited version!!
Well, the edited version has never been released on home video. If I recall wasn't this edited for TV distribution? So this version that's been floating around since the 60s is a print Columbia includes with their syndication/network deals.

I don't think after all the bitching we've done to get proper sets, they'd dare release something from the Stooges edited. Now down the road if No Dough Boys, The Yoke's On Me, Uncivil War Birds, and others with racial language (albeit due to the time period) and jokes are cut, THEN there will be bitching. But I don't think Sony would tamper with these in any way, shape or form. It's not profitable from their standpoint. Since they went out of their way to listen to us with these new sets, I think the last thing they'd do is release them so the people who requested them wouldn't buy them.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

xraffle

I just finished watching this wonderful set for the second time. I could just watch it over and over. So, after getting a good look at this set, I revised some of my comments on my review and I've added a few things to it. One comment I take back is what I said about "Pop Goes The Easel." I originally thought the print was worse than the chromachoice print, but after watching it a couple of times, it seems to look just as good except it's just not as glossy looking. The only short that is worse than what was previously used was Whoops I'm an Indian and that's basically it.

Next time I write a review, I'll try to be more careful and not be abrupt with my comments.

Thank you Sony for this wonderful set! Keep up the good workl. I can't wait for Volume 2.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Let's just hope that they fix the scene in "Micro-Phonies".  Although I have never seen an uncut episode with that scene, the scene IS complete (as far as the line in question goes) in the movie "Stop, Look, and Laugh."  Are ya listening, Sony??? Do some creative editing!!!

I must be missing something.  Would you please elaborate as to the particular scene in Micro-Phonies?  I'm curious as to what was actually edited.  Thanks, Scgenres. ;)
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

ThumpTheShoes

I must be missing something.  Would you please elaborate as to the particular scene in Micro-Phonies?  I'm curious as to what was actually edited.  Thanks, Scgenres. ;)

Oooh! I know this one!

These glitches within Micro-Phonies occur on the Curly Classics dvd. Due to print damage, a jump cut occurs as Ms. Andrews explains why she can't audition in person:
"Well, if Mrs. Bixby hires me, my father can't object becaus/ly friend! That's simple enough isn't it?!"

The line is intact within the feature, "Stop! Look! and Laugh!":
"Well, if Mrs. Bixby hires me, my father can't object because she's an old family friend! That's simple enough isn't it?!"

Outside of the SL&L picture, I've never seen a copy of the short with the line intact. It's always been cut like that.

A second, missing bit of audio looks like the result of cut-and-paste editing to cover print/soundtrack damage. This one occurs right when Curly loses his voice:

"My goodness! What hap-"
[Crowd noise]
"...lost her voice!"

The dvd is the only place I've seen that problem. The Columbia VHS release featured that bit intact. The crowd noise that covers the gap is lifted from right after Signor Spumoni smacks his hands together and stands up in front of the record player. You'll hear it repeat if you listen closely.

-Th

xraffle

A second, missing bit of audio looks like the result of cut-and-paste editing to cover print/soundtrack damage. This one occurs right when Curly loses his voice:

"My goodness! What hap-"
[Crowd noise]
"...lost her voice!"

The dvd is the only place I've seen that problem. The Columbia VHS release featured that bit intact. The crowd noise that covers the gap is lifted from right after Signor Spumoni smacks his hands together and stands up in front of the record player. You'll hear it repeat if you listen closely.

Yeah, I thought that was an unusual problem. My VHS copy and the ones shown on TV never had that problem. That really disappointed me. I always like hearing Moe say "The Senorita's lost her voice."

Offline bbug

I don't mean to sound presumptuous, but clearly by far the cheapest way for the research staff working with Sony on these restored transfers to vet their plans/questions regarding glitches in the various prints they use to derive their combined transfer would be to present them to the 100s of committed Stooges fans who've been obsessing over these shorts for the decades.   [pie]

Perhaps they already have been doing this by mining the lists and short-related posts on this site.

Offline scgenres

I don't think after all the bitching we've done to get proper sets, they'd dare release something from the Stooges edited. Now down the road if No Dough Boys, The Yoke's On Me, Uncivil War Birds, and others with racial language (albeit due to the time period) and jokes are cut, THEN there will be bitching.

Boy, if they edited all the "racial" language out of No Dough Boys, there wouldn't be much of a short left.  As far as extras go, the only extras I really watch are either commentaries or deleted scenes.  Although it would be great if Sony found some deleted scenes, the cost of restoring them would probably significantly raise the price of the set.  Also, since commentaries are usually done by the stars, directors, or producers, I guess we are out of luck there.  If there WAS a deleted scene I wish I could see, it would be one which Moe discussed in his autobioraphy, that the original ending to Three Little Pigskins had Curly discussing the finale with his "son", who was dressed just like him (there was even a still from it, proving it was filmed).