Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Re: 3 Stooges Collection 1934 - 1936 REVIEWS

Guest · 205 · 53151

stooged and confused

Also, I will do my best to answer all of your questions regarding specific shorts on the set as quickly as I can. I've received several emails from other sources already this morning. I've posted a few of the two dozen I have gotten today. (One's with duplicate/similar questions, I won't bother to list).

stooged and confused

Here's more good news...I just saw that the set is at an all time (to date) sales rank high of 236!! That can only get better as October 30th approaches and more people become aware of this title.

stooged and confused

I've received a few emails regarding the aspect ratio issue as to whether or not the set has the real aspect ratio or the 1:33 ratio. The latter is used on the new set, however, when they show a newspaper headline (such as in "Punch Drunks") or a telegram (as in "Movie Maniacs"), they use the original theatre aspect ratio in those instances. The amount of lost image when it resumes is considered minimal by industry standard and eliminates the issue of having the bars appear to the left and right on a TV set.

Offline 3Stooges

I'd love to see the Columbia cartoons with the Stooges included... Like Hollywood Picnic. I'm sure it would be cheap for Sony to include.

Offline Hammond Eggar

I'd love to see the Columbia cartoons with the Stooges included... Like Hollywood Picnic. I'm sure it would be cheap for Sony to include.

Say, Stooged.  3Stooges has a good point.  Any Columbia-produced cartoons that are Stooges-related would also be welcomed as bonus material on future sets.  Please note that to your contact at Sony, as well.  Thanks. ;)

As for bonus features, I'm a bit confused.  I can certainly understand holding off on any interviews they may have with family members or co-stars.  What confuses me, though, is the Pop Up Video trivia concept they considered.  It seems like trivia would be something specific to a given short.  For example, you can't put trivia for Ants in the Pantry or Men in Black on a future set.  It just wouldn't make any sense.  So, I don't understand why trivia, which relates directly to the shorts on this particular set, was left off. :-\
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

xraffle

So, I don't understand why trivia, which relates directly to the shorts on this particular set, was left off. :-\

My guess is that it takes work to add those kind of extras on the DVD sets. There's no guarantee that these sets will be a success, so I guess Sony wants to see how well these sets sell before working on any DVD extras.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Trivia doesn't bother me as long as the video and audio quality is there. By the way has anyone checked to see how easy this will be in pick up in stores on Oct. 30th.  What a great Halloween present for us all.

Robin

[attachment deleted by admin]

JH24

My guess is that it takes work to add those kind of extras on the DVD sets. There's no guarantee that these sets will be a success, so I guess Sony wants to see how well these sets sell before working on any DVD extras.

It looks like the first volume has already been a huge success, going by the first volumes sales rank on Amazon.com over the past few days it was at a best of 236 and has hardly gone above 300.

stooged and confused

Hi Hammond...I'm not sure why the trivia aspect was left off the set. My contact had no information as to why there was "officially" no bonus features on the disc(s). Xraffle makes a valid point. My feeling is that they didn't add any bells and whistles beyond restoring the prints (and wait until you see them) in order to keep the price down in order to move as many sets as possible.

P.S. Wait until you see "A Pain In The Pullman", Xraffle. You will be amazed!

stooged and confused

I will pass the word along regarding Columbia's cartoons that feature the Stooges, but you'd be surprised at some of the people in executive positions at the studio who have no idea what they've got in their vaults.

stooged and confused

The collection stands at #135 on Amazon's sales ranking this morning....very encouraging!!

stooged and confused

I was asked a question about language selection on the new set. English is the ONLY option. Sadly, you can't hear Moe say, "I'll gouge your eyes out" in Portuguese. :'(

stooged and confused

In regards to other correspodence regarding additional sets, Sony has NOT confirmed anything beyond the set hitting on October 30th. My contact there did tell me that volume 2 is "on the table", but nothing has been confirmed. She will send me a press release as soon as it is made official.

stooged and confused

I've just received an email inquiring if the shorts filmed in 3D will be released in that format with glasses to view them.

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves, folks!! The first volume hasn't been released yet and the set that would include the "3D" titles is way down the road at this time.

But, to throw my 2 cents in, that would be a great selling point for that volume. I would guess, a slightly higher retail price could be expected, but how cool would that be?!

Vernon Dent:  "Well, here's the 2 cents."

Curly:  "I raised my price."

stooged and confused

I also found this to be interesting...Sony has affixed a sticker to the shrink wrap on the sets that states "ALL NEW FAN REQUESTED COLLECTOR SET ON 2 DISCS ." I'll take that as a sign that Sony/Columbia listened to us for once. Our voices seemed to have been heard this time!

stooged and confused

Amazon shows volume 1 sales ranking at an all time high (so far) of 69!!! Sony should be pleased with the sales of this 1st set and it looks that more will follow.

Offline JazzBill

When I was in Philadelphia for Larry's 105th B-day I bought a DVD that had five 3-D shorts in it. Included in it were the two Stooge 3-D shorts. It came with the 3-D glasses. Now. I realize that it wasn't from Sony but was pretty cool to finally see the shorts in 3-D.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

xraffle

Amazon shows volume 1 sales ranking at an all time high (so far) of 69!!! Sony should be pleased with the sales of this 1st set and it looks that more will follow.

I can top that. It's now at 48!! Wow! Nice to see that this set will be HUGE success. I hope Sony learned their lesson. When fans request for something, they should consider it.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Trivia doesn't bother me as long as the video and audio quality is there. By the way has anyone checked to see how easy this will be in pick up in stores on Oct. 30th.  What a great Halloween present for us all.

Robin

I've wondered the same thing.  Circuit City, Best Buy and Wal-Mart all have listings for the new DVD set on their websites.  Does this mean that they will be carrying this title in stores, as well?  I sure hope so.  What we could do is this.  Print out the page with the DVD info from each site and then visit these stores this week to do some investigating.  I'm sure each store would have a listing of titles their expecting to stock on October 30th.  

Borders now links to Amazon, so obviously, there is a listing at that site.  Barnes & Noble also has a listing for this title.  Again, I wonder if that means that they will also be carrying it in the stores, as well.  Perhaps some investigating IS needed. ;)
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Hammond Eggar

I can top that. It's now at 48!! Wow! Nice to see that this set will be HUGE success. I hope Sony learned their lesson. When fans request for something, they should consider it.

It's not just Sony who could learn from this.  Other entities could learn a thing-or-two, as well.  Whether it's the Beatles and Apple, or it's George Lucas with the Star Wars franchise, artists, producers and production companies should listen to the requests and concerns of the fans.  Paul McCartney's upcoming DVD release, The McCartney Years may be evidence that Paul and his camp are beginning to listen to the wants and desires of the fans.  The fact that George Lucas and 20th Century Fox reissued the original Star Wars trilogy in it's original theatrical form, may also be evidence that they are listening to the fans, as many had voiced concerns over the changes made in the Special Edition versions.  Hopefully, these, and other entities, are learning, as Sony is, that it is profitable and beneficial to give the fans what they want.  Besides, it's the dedicated fans who make up the lion's share of the market for these products anyway. [pie]     

stooged and confused

After Sony releases all 190 shorts and I can get the mallet heads at Capitol/EMI to get off their arses and finally remaster the Beatles British album catalog with proper Mono and Stereo mixes, my work will be done.

Offline Hammond Eggar

I was asked a question about language selection on the new set. English is the ONLY option. Sadly, you can't hear Moe say, "I'll gouge your eyes out" in Portuguese. :'(

That was one thing about the earlier Stooges DVDs that did make me laugh.  For kicks, I would watch Los Tres Chiflados and listen to the boys dubbed in Spanish.  I especially got a kick out of the guy trying to mimmick Curly's voice.  That was a hoot!  :D

JH24

The sales rank has made me so happy.

There is a big demand for the Curly shorts and when the Shemp ones arrive they'll sell just as well because alot of people prefered him over Curly. Besser was only in 16 shorts so his will only be on one volume.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Earlier today I came across the first newspaper write-up I've seen so far regarding the new Stooges DVD set.  It was in Parade magazine, which runs in most Sunday newspapers.  It was a very brief review.  The credit at the bottom of the column states that the reviews are written by Allison Takeda and Jonathan Witherspoon.  Here's what was said about this new collection.

You'll see plenty of frying pans to the head in this collection of classic shorts from one of the great comedy teams of all time.  The Three Stooges Collection, Vol. 1 (Sony; $25) features beloved morons Moe, Larry and Curly headknocking their way through 19 digitally restored films from 1934 through 1936, including Disorder in the Court, Ants in the Pantry and Restless Knights.  One even features a young Lucille Ball.

Say Stooged.  I mentioned previously how great it would be to hear Richard Roeper plug the Stooges set on his TV show.  Is there anything we, the fans, can do to help make this happen?  Tomorrow I'm going to surf the web to see if Roeper has any online contact information.  Plus, as an employee of Hollywood Video, I've been wondering what can be done to ensure it and it's competetor Blockbuster are both selling the Stooges set and stocking it for rent.  I have a toll-free number for Hollywood Video.  It's 1-8SPEAK-TO-US.  Perhaps if we call, it may make a difference.  I know the regulars here don't want to rent the set, we want to buy it.  That said, if Hollywood Video and Blockbuster stock it for rental purposes, then more people will get exposure to it.  Once they've seen how great the quality is, it could inspire those on-the-fence to go ahead and buy it.  If it convinces only one person, then it's still worth it. [pie]

Jimmie Adams

Regarding PUNCH DRUNKS:  Were not the scenes of Larry outside dark and grainy because the scene was supposed to take place at night?